Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Honored Social Butterfly

John Prine died Tuesday at 73

John Prine, the raspy-voiced singer-songwriter whose homespun, witty and insightful country-folk tunes influenced legions of musicians in a career that spanned five decades, died Tuesday. He was 73.

His publicist tells CNN, "Yes, we can confirm on behalf of the Prine family — John died today at Vanderbilt due to complications of Covid-19."

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Silver Conversationalist

Well, it seems that I got to the party, quite a lot late. But John Prine truly made some wonderful music that I think will surely stand on its own even as time passes us by.

Here are a couple of songs that show, I think  how he could take such a somber subject as death and work it into a good tune. He was a one of a kind kind of guy. Gone but never forgotten, he sure left and impression on me! It don't make no sense that common sense don't make no sense no more. - From Common Sense

Please Don't Bury Me   &   He Was In Heaven Before He Died

It's nice to be important but it's more important to be nice.
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

John Prine, who for five decades wrote rich, plain-spoken songs that chronicled the struggles and stories of everyday working people and changed the face of modern American roots music, died Tuesday at Nashville’s Vanderbilt University Medical Center. He was 73. The cause was complications related to COVID-19, his family confirmed to Rolling Stone.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

I had read that he had Covid-19. It is relentless among the elderly with underlying conditions to boot. Another talent who will be missed greatly 🙏

Honored Social Butterfly

@BeatleloverKT wrote:

I had read that he had Covid-19. It is relentless among the elderly with underlying conditions to boot. Another talent who will be missed greatly 🙏

Yes  😢

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

So sad. Fortunately, I got to see John in concert. So many great songs.

Honored Social Butterfly

@BobH07 wrote:

So sad. Fortunately, I got to see John in concert. So many great songs.

I never had the opportunity to see him live.  Enjoyed his music and he will be missed. 

0 Kudos
Gold Conversationalist

I grew up near Maywood, Illinois, where John Prine was "the singing mailman" back in the 1960's and 1970's, until his music career paid enough to live on. I never saw him live, sad to say, but my sister and BIL did numerous times. I do remember Terry Hemmert on WXRT in Chicago talking about him and his mailman job, giving some background on John and his music.

He wrote "Angel from Montgomery", which Bonnie Raitt did such a fantastic job with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6eO2Ed7cMQM

John also had some memorable duets with Iris Dement, some funny/poignant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8tTwXv4glY

R.I.P. John

Honored Social Butterfly

They just did a nice piece on John Prine on the world news. Played a bit from a nice song he did, which I'm watching on YouTube now called "When I get to heaven" Highly recommend

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

When I Get To Heaven is included on his final album The Tree of Forgiveness.

I think it's one of his best albums and was nominated for a Grammy.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP