Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Silver Conversationalist

Help With Forum Messages?

Can someone help? Two things .(1) I get email notications about posts. Some of them go straight to my "Trash" mailbox (not spam). It is random, the same member can go to the inbox or trash, it does not seem to have anything to do with whether it is from AARP, AARP, or from AARP Community, and there is nothing weird about the content. Why is my email trying to throw out my email?  Can I fix it on this forum?(2) What is the proper way to reply to a specific message? If I hit the reply button right below the message does it attach and can it be visible to all? What is the little conversation cloud looking button next to the reply button?

0 Kudos
Retired Community Manager

Good morning, @DMAFl. It's was nice of you to circle back to the discussion--I'm glad the tips were helpful!

0 Kudos
Silver Conversationalist

I have been away for a couple of days but here I am tonight.  I want to thank each of you who jumped in to help me out.  I learned something from every single post, and I will bet that you have helped some other forum users too!  Sorry I took so long to thank.  I was not being intentionally rude, I was absent.

0 Kudos

Hi @DMAFl, I just clicked the Quick Reply "conversation cloud looking button" (as you described) to show you what happens. To answer your question about how to reply to a specific message, you can directly reply from any post. Some people also like to use the "quote" option to display the post along with your reply. It all comes down to personal preference. (Regarding, your email provider, I can't say why that would be happening. Can you contact them for help? Could it be possible that they are filtering out emails with the same subject line?)
Honored Social Butterfly

All my emails from AARP, postings and general info go straight to my inbox. If you are having a problem, I'd suggest touching base with AARP directly to see if they can help. I always click on the reply button from the previous post and have never had a problem. I'm not sure what cloud button you're talking about sorry

Silver Conversationalist

I clear my inbox and then delete my trash every day, otherwise I would never have seen the unread trash messages (the titles stay in bold don't, like any other unread messages). My AARP Daily and other AARP messages stay in the inbox, so you are right, I  should probably contact them directly.  Thanks for pointing me in the right direction 

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

The cloud button you’re referring to is pretty much the same as using the reply button. Also, FYI, only you can edit your own postings. Let me know if you need help with that
Silver Conversationalist

Thanks for your help.  I have two strategies on a website, either check to see what the functions and options do or  else I avoidI  them like crazy because I am terrified of causing some sort of irreversible damage.  Especially if it's a radio button instead of an option in a drop-down.  You have made me no longer afraid of the cloud-looking button now that you have told me what it is for !  About editing my posts, I do that, even though sometimes you can't tell...

0 Kudos

Hi again, @DMAFl, here I'm showing you what it looks like to select the "Quote" option in a reply post. Thanks for exploring and also thanks to @BeatleloverKT for jumping in to help!

@DMAFl wrote:

Thanks for your help.  I have two strategies on a website, either check to see what the functions and options do or  else I avoidI  them like crazy because I am terrified of causing some sort of irreversible damage.  Especially if it's a radio button instead of an option in a drop-down.  You have made me no longer afraid of the cloud-looking button now that you have told me what it is for !  About editing my posts, I do that, even though sometimes you can't tell...

Silver Conversationalist

Sorry for the delayed reply. This was really helpful.
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

You're welcome! I don't know everything about this site, but always happy to share what I do know 😎

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroids® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP