Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Conversationalist

Get Lucky - Luck & Lucky Songs

On April 21, 1962, Elvis Presley started a 2 week run at No. 1 on the US singles chart with “Good Luck Charm,” his fifth US No. 1 of the 60s, following 1960 hits “Stuck On You,” “Now Or Never,” “Are You Lonesome Tonight,” and “Surrender” in 1961. His 50s No. 1s included all from 1956 “Heartbreak Hotel,” “I Want You, I Need You, I Love You,” “Don’t Be Cruel,” “Hound Dog,” “Love Me Tender,” and in 1957 “Too Much,” “All Shook Up,” “Teddy Bear,” “Jailhouse Rock,” and “Don’t,” with 1958’s “Hard Headed Woman” and 1959’s “A Big Hunk O’ Love” rounding out the decade. His last but not least No. 1 was 1969’s “Suspicious Minds.”

Elvis’ song serves as the springboard for this week’s word themed playlist “Get Lucky,” songs containing the word Luck or Lucky. In addition to the Elvis No. 1 and the obvious nod to Daft Punk’s playlist title song, Lucky and Luckgreats include Emerson Lake & Palmer’s “Lucky Man,” Jason Mraz and Colby Cailat’s “Lucky,” Tom Petty’s “You Got Lucky,” Madonna’s “Lucky Star,” Paul McCartney’s “With A Little Luck,” Rod Stewart’s “Some Guys Have All The Luck.” My artistic license song is Dan Fogelberg’s “Hard To Say” which starts “Lucky in love, well maybe so…” – such a great entrance to a song.

I hope that this music and my blog truly serve as a “revival: a new presentation of something old,” a springboard to return to the music of your youth, or perhaps to find artists you want to discover anew.  Rediscover the passion of music in your life. Live in the moment. Enjoy the moment. Love the moment. Listen to the MUSIC!

https://listentothemusicblog.com/get-lucky-luck-lucky-songs/

Honored Social Butterfly

Perhaps I missed it:  That Lucky Old Sun:  Frankie Laine; Ray Charles; many others. 

Conversationalist

Though several to choose from, I included "That Luck Old Sun" by Kenny Chesney & Willie Nelson. I do love Ray's version, one of 143 covers of the original by Vaughan Monroe (1949).  Cover artists have included a veritable who's who of music greats: Sarah Vaughan, Frankie Lane, Dean Martin, Frank Sinatra, Louis Armstrong, Pat Boone, Sam Cooke, The Isley Brothers, Bobby Darin, Aretha Franklin, Ray Charles, the Letterman, Tom Jones, George Benson, The Righteous Brothers, Jackie Wilson, Big Mama Thornton, Willie Nelson, Leon Russell, Tom T. Hall, Johnny Cash, Tony Bennett, James Brown, Brian Wilson, Chris Isaak, and Bob Dylan. Quite the list.

Honored Social Butterfly

Nice playlist, good topic. Two more that come to mind -

Get Lucky - Mark Knopfler (It’s from the album of the same name which also includes You Can’t Beat the House. British wit, no doubt!)

Catch Your Luck and Play - Scorpions 

“When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.” - Jimi Hendrix
Conversationalist

OMG - can't believe I forgot my mate Mark Knopfler, perhaps my favorite guitarist of all time. I have yet to see him (kind of saw him from Wembley Stadium  with Dire Straits via simulcast in Philly at Live Aid.  He's coming out with a new album this year, and I'm hoping he tours after that.  Definitely need to see him up close and personal... Added that and Scorpions... Thanks!

Honored Social Butterfly

Nice playlist. Enjoyed the trip down memory

lane with Madonna! I would also add: 

Bad Luck, Howard Melvin&the Bluenotes

Conversationalist

Thanks. Added "Bad Luck."  

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Block Champ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP