Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Flute Thing - Pop & Rock Songs Featuring Flute

Conversationalist

Flute Thing - Pop & Rock Songs Featuring Flute

Twelve years ago today, March 31, 2011, the Australian band Men At Work lost the appeal against a ruling that their now 40 year old 1983 hit song โ€œDown Underโ€ was plagiarized from the folk tune โ€œKookaburra Sits in the Old Gum Tree.โ€ More than a baseless allegation, itโ€™s an argument that appears beyond ridiculous. Check out the comparison on the blog.

Men at Work Flautist Greg Ham, depressed and dejected in the wake of such accusations, no longer laughing in the old gum tree, died soon thereafter in 2012, perhaps of a broken heart. Their song serves as a springboard for todayโ€™s playlist โ€œFlute Thing โ€“ Pop & Rock Songs Featuring Flute.โ€ Speaking of copying, the Beastie Boys โ€œFlute Loop,โ€ borrows the flute line from Al Kooperโ€™s playlist title song โ€œFlute Thing.โ€ I suppose they credited the sampling, making it legal and acceptable.

So songs you know and love prominently featuring the flute include Firefallโ€™s โ€œYou Are The Woman,โ€ Van Morrisonโ€™s โ€œMoondance,โ€ The Mamas & The Papas โ€œCalifornia Dreaminโ€™,โ€ Canned Heatโ€™s โ€œGoing Up The Country,โ€ The Beatles โ€œThe Fool On The Hillโ€ and โ€œYouโ€™ve Got To Hide Your Love Awayโ€ The Rolling Stones โ€œRuby Tuesday,โ€ Marshall Tucker Bandโ€™s โ€œCanโ€™t You See,โ€ โ€œHeard It In A Love Songโ€ and โ€œFire On The Mountain,โ€ and several songs by Jethro Tull, The Moody Blues, Genesis, and Traffic.

https://listentothemusicblog.com/flute-thing-pop-rock-songs-featuring-flute/

Bronze Conversationalist

Colour My World- Chicago

Conversationalist

It's on there ๐Ÿ˜‰ 

0 Kudos
Silver Conversationalist

Heard it in a Love song.. Marshall Tucker Band.

Conversationalist

It's on the playlist ๐Ÿ˜‰ 

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Great to see you back here! Absolutely love the 

playlist. Agree to the baseless claim about Down 

Under. I would have to add two more Moody

Blues songs:

Are you sitting comfortably 

Tuesday Afternoon

No flute list would be complete without them 

Conversationalist

I had never heard Are You Sitting Comfortably - wow, very flute drive.  Tuesday Afternoon more the outro...  Added them

Regular Social Butterfly

Great topic, @WilliamS68311 !

I've been devotee of Ian Anderson for decades! His contributions to Jethro Tull and innovations for rock music are immeasurable, imho.

Listen to this track and you'll find peace, thanks to Ian's flute...

#StaySafe

#VegasStrong
Phil Harris, actor and showman, to John Fogerty of CCR: โ€œIf Iโ€™d known Iโ€™d live this long, Iโ€™d have taken better care of myself.โ€
Honored Social Butterfly

CUP OF WONDER   JETHRO TULL

Conversationalist

WOW - love this song - had never heard it - obviously added it.  Thanks!!!

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroidsยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP