Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Community Manager
Community Manager

Does Music Make Life Better?

More than 70% of Americans 45 and older say music has helped them through a difficult time in their lives, according to a survey published earlier this month by marketing research/data analytics firm YouGov.

While music appears to be a motivator for the majority of people, it was particularly high for older Americans.   More from AARP >> https://www.aarp.org/entertainment/music/info-2017/music-improve-life-fd.html

What song got you through your most difficult time and why?

Sandy

Honored Social Butterfly

@sandy wrote:

More than 70% of Americans 45 and older say music has helped them through a difficult time in their lives, according to a survey published earlier this month by marketing research/data analytics firm YouGov.

While music appears to be a motivator for the majority of people, it was particularly high for older Americans.   More from AARP >> https://www.aarp.org/entertainment/music/info-2017/music-improve-life-fd.html

What song got you through your most difficult time and why?

Sandy

@sandy What about you Sandy?  

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Contributor

I grew up with all types of music and I think it helps make life better

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Had alot of rough spots in life, so different music for different times.

Time in a bottle by Jim Croce

Starry Starry Night or Vincent

The House that built me - Miranda

Home and Light at the end of the tunnel - Blake Shelton

Strawberry Fields forever

One Less Bell to Answer - Barbara Striestand

Send in the Clowns

Me and Bobby McGhee - Janis Joplin

The Rose - Bette Mediler

Waterfall - Credence

Southern Cross - David Crosby, Stills

Helpless Hoping - Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young

Daylight Again - Crosy, Stills and Nash

God Didn't Make Little Green Apples

What a Friend we have in Jesus

The list goes on and on and on..........sorry but music has helped me totally live each day

Social Butterfly

MUSICIANS I COULDN'T LIVE WITHOUT HEARING: TOM WAITS, JANIS JOPLIN, STEVIE RAY VAUGHN, JOHN LEE HOOKER,...& OF COURSE THE BEATLES!
SUPERGIRL, NO REALLY I MEAN IT! HER REAL NAME & MINE ARE THE SAME( FIRST 2 NAMES ARE)
Contributor

Yes, During a very trying time in my life, I could not see God in it. Our chior used to sing a song, "Trust His Heart".  It got me through the illness and death of my wife of only 15 months.

Honored Social Butterfly

I can't imagine being without music. I love music for many reasons, and I enjoy listening to different genres, from Classical to Rock, Beethoven to the The Beatles. In fact, I would put Beethoven and The Beatles at the top of my listening lists.

I enjoy classical music, especially for background music. I used to have it playing in my office when I worked. It's also nice to play while driving in traffic as it soothes the nerves. It can be relaxing and soothing (Debussy's Clair de Lune). It can also be energetic (William Tell Overture or Beethoven's Fifth anyone?).

Music (of any genre) can be energetic and uplifting, moody, happy, sad, consoling, thought provoking; it can take you anywhere you want to go, anytime, anywhere. 

I agree with @ReTiReD51 - It's chicken soup for the soul! 

“When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.” - Jimi Hendrix
Honored Social Butterfly

I grew up in a house full of music from my dad’s big bands to my mom’s polka music 😀

I got my first transistor radio and listened to Elvis and Ricky Nelson and The Stones!   I play lay the radio all day long in my office at work.  It is the background sound to much of my life.  

I Can’t Give You One Song that Gog Me Through a Difficult Time but there are two women whose music affected me more than any other at the first hearing;

Tina Turner. Private Dancer and

Janis Joplin. Me and Bobby McGee

Make that three

Mrlidda Egheridge.  Please Forgive Me   https://youtu.be/wNmzWfF4Bm4 

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Social Butterfly

The perfect tune can be the chicken soup for your heart or soul especially when you think you’re facing your darkest hour.

Since I’ve got tickets and look forward soon to attending “Beautiful-The Carole King Musical” I’ll chose “You’ve Got A Friend” written by Carole King as my I’ll stand by you-stand by me medicinal song.

No matter what life deals a true friend is someone who’s always there beside you. So I’m taking my best buddy-my wife with me to see Carole King.

Conversationalist

It’s not so much a song as it is a band.  I’m a Dead Head - for the uninitiated, that’s a fan of the Grateful Dead.  I began this trip in 1970, at the tender age of 16.  

My entry to this world began with Uncle John’s Band and Box of Rain; 2 songs as far away from the psychedelic world inhabited by the Dead just a few years earlier.

The music for Box of Rain was in the heart of Dead bassist Phil Lesh during the time his father was passing.  The words were brought to life by Robert Hunter.  Life and death, become the meaning of the song.  20 years after I first heard these words, they got me through my father’s passing:

”... such a long, long time to be gone

and a short time to be there.”

Regular Social Butterfly

Agree on this point (also Dead Head 😉

I loved, loved the original "Sound of Silence" by Simon and Garfunkel!

Then Disturbed rocked it!

In fact, Paul Simon likes it as well.

Then NASA added their 2 cents.

So both versions play HUGE part in my "mental well being" because it brings decades together.

So for me, have to say (and probably since we lost Janis and Jimi and John), the song is what gives me what I need. I hear "Cry Baby" Janis is right there, but I think Taylor Momsen could really get it in a way Janis would truly love and appreciate.

Loving all music (as another poster noted), I appreciate the differences to me and appreciate the Artists' hard work and courage to put it out there.

Thanks for a great topic!

#VegasStrong

#VegasStrong
Phil Harris, actor and showman, to John Fogerty of CCR: “If I’d known I’d live this long, I’d have taken better care of myself.”
Social Butterfly

I'D SAY MUSIC IS ESSENTIAL. I COULD LIVE WITHOUT TV OR MANY OTHER THINGS, BUT LIFE WITHOUT MUSIC IS UNIMAGINABLE ! IT IT IS  ON IN MY HOUSE 24/7.  ONE SECRET TO SLEEPING WELL WHEREVER  YOU  GO IS"NIGHT-NIGHT' MUSIC-  THE SAME CD OR_? THAT YOU LISTEN TO EVERY NIGHT WHEN SNUGLY & SAFELY ATHOME ABED. TAKE IT WITH YOU TO A STRANGE(NEW) PLACE & LET IT LULL YOU TO SLEEP. IT CONDITIONS YOUR BRAIN TO REST WELL.

MINE IS "BLUE VALENTINE" BY TOM WAITS. SLEEP WELL.

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

SUPERGIRL, NO REALLY I MEAN IT! HER REAL NAME & MINE ARE THE SAME( FIRST 2 NAMES ARE)
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP