Check out the 10th anniversary edition of ’99 Great Ways to Save,’ AARP’s annual guide to saving money.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Does Music Make Life Better?

Message 31 of 68

Yes, During a very trying time in my life, I could not see God in it. Our chior used to sing a song, "Trust His Heart".  It got me through the illness and death of my wife of only 15 months.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 32 of 68

Were you responding to me?  This is the first night that I have commented & I have no idea how this works!  Help please!  Thanks!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 33 of 68

Wow, your post really touched me.  You don't have a family?  I am sorry to hear that.  But your love of music shines through.  I agree that it can really move you.  It's funny, at dinner tonight, my daughter asked "what if you can't listen to music".  My reponse was "then there is no reason to live".  I certainly don't want to expire yet, but that is my appreciation and love of music.  I love that music touches you a lot too.

Thank you for such a cool post!

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 34 of 68

That's a great lil story!  May I ask how long have you 2 been married?  

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 35 of 68

YES!   There is a song for everything!  Different situations will make you think of a song.  Music is one of the greatest thangs on this Earth!  I listen to Classic Rock most of the time.  I like almost every other kind of music, but there's some that I can NOT stand to listen to...

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 36 of 68

When I'm feeling down I like to listen to Tennessee Ernie Ford's gospel songs. Those really pick up my mood. I also love black gospel music, especially if I can see the singers and/or choir singing. I get this feeling of people that truly are loving, caring, and respectful of each other, kind of like a family. I don't have a family, and maybe this is why I like it so much. Whatever the reason, gospel music is really an amazing thing to experience. I also enjoy "old" C & W , rock-n-roll, marching bands, 80's, and pop instrumental music. I'm not sure which genre Paul Thorn or Todd Snyder are classified as, but, in my book, you can't get much better than these guys. 

Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 37 of 68

While some people groan when it rains, my husband and I always go for an early morning walk in it.  As soon as we start walking, we start singing "Just singing in the rain".  We never get through the whole song without forgetting the words, but it gives us a good laugh.  It really lifts our spirits. I'm convinced that music lifts the spirits, whether a person is singing it, playing a musical instrument, or listening to music.  

I also have a Crosley player that plays vinyl records, CDs and cassettes.  I still have my 33, 45 and 78 rpm records from the 1950s and they never fail to lift our spirits, listening to decent music by people who could really sing.  

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 38 of 68

SO true. I shed tears every time Jerry Lewis sang it at the end of the telethon. Not really sad tears. The message was so empowering and hopeful that the emotion was a little too much for my tear ducts!

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 39 of 68

Absolutely! When I am feeling down, I ask my Google mini for some 60s or 70s songs and sometimes I even dance to the faster beats. Works every time!

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 40 of 68

Of course it does.  It's been proven to help in all kinds of physically and mentally stressful situations.  One song that has helped me is Roll Away the Stone by The Ozark Mountain Daredevils.

Kudos
Views