You can help to pick the winner of the 2018 Movies for Grownups Readers' Choice award! Vote now for your favorite film.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Does Music Make Life Better?

Message 11 of 68
Add Tom Petty to that list!
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Super Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 68
WE KNOW MUSIC CAN HEAL IN MANY WAYS- JUST READ A GREAT ARTICLE/INTERVIEW W/ A NOTED(NEUROLOGIST?) STROKE DOCTOR WHO DISCUSSED THE POWER OF MUSIC TO HELP APHASIA VICTIMS REGAIN THEIR VOICES. HE ALSO DISCUSSES THE AMAZING HUMAN BRAIN & ITS RESPONSE TO MUSIC IN MORE THAN ONE PLACE( IN THE BRAIN).
SUPERGIRL, NO REALLY I MEAN IT! HER REAL NAME & MINE ARE THE SAME( FIRST 2 NAMES ARE)
Kudos
Views
Super Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 68
ALMOST TOO MANY TO LIST, BUT I'LL START W/ALANNIS MORISETTE'S "YOU OUGHTA KNOW" HELPING ME DIRECT MY HURT THROUGH A NASTY BREAKUP. & LUCINDA WILLIAMS "CAR WHEELS ON A GRAVEL ROAD" SENDING ME OFF TO SLEEP HAPPILY IN LOVE THE NEXT TIME( AFTER NASTY BREAKUP) OBLA-DI, O-BLA-DA, LIFE GOES ON- BRA"!
SUPERGIRL, NO REALLY I MEAN IT! HER REAL NAME & MINE ARE THE SAME( FIRST 2 NAMES ARE)
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 68
I love country music because the words and singing are important to me. I grew up singing while I was swinging on our backyard swing set. Surprised no one ever stopped me or complained. Country favorites within the last decade are "The Dance" by Garth Brooks, and "Live Like You Were Dying" by Tim McGraw.
But also with all the violence in the world, one of my very favorite songs has always been "Let There Be Peace on Earth", and when I hear children singing it, it brings tears to my eyes.
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 68

Songs for difficult times in my life:

ballads by Patsy Cline

”A Song for You” and “Manhattan Island Serenade” by Leon Russell

”Goddamn Lonely Love” by the Drive By Truckers Written by Jason Isbell

”The River” by Joni Mitchell

”Compassion” and “If I Have to be Alone” by Todd Rundgren

”La Traviata” by Verdi esp. Un di, felice, eterea and Sempre libera. 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 68

I cannot conceive of life without music.  Leon Russell was/is my number 1 music hero, closely followed by Todd Rundgren, David Bowie and Pat Metheny.  And Richard Thompson.  And Jason Isbell.  And Joni Mitchell.  And Leonard Cohen.  And Debussy.  And Art Tatum.  And Sonny Rollins.  And Buddy Guy.  And Lester Young.  And Mozart. And Verdi.  And ...so it goes.  

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 68

Music has been incredibly important to me since I was a child. My mom's family all played musical instruments so she was very dedicated to having all 6 of us children learn something even though we were poor and getting a clarinet or trumpet, which were the most affordable, was tough. I was probably 12 when I got my first transister radio and remember listening to Casey Kasem's countdown espically the year end and the top 100 were listed and some were played. My music tastes have expanded to jazz and blues but I still listen to rock and make a point of hearing new music. My husband and I still have some of our old vinyl and seek out record stores when travelling. A new "used" vinyl record from a new town is our only memento we need to bring home. We have lots of fun pulling out the records to play. I can't imagine my life without music.

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 68

Yes, coming from a musical family, my life has always been surrounded by music.   We are blessed to be surrounded with many musician friends & that brings us that much closer.   I have never underestimated the power of music & the joy it brings to my life.

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 19 of 68

Coming from a musical family, my life has always been surrounded by music.    A bad day is made better with the right music & a good day is even better when that special song plays.    We are blessed to be surrounded by a network of friends who are musicians & music brings us that much closer.   

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 20 of 68

Definitely....Bob Seger and the Silver Bullets, Good Tme Rock and Roll.   No matter my mood....this makes me dance.

Kudos
Views