AARP Partners With ‘Politico’ to Educate Voters Leading Up to 2018 Midterm Election. Read More!

Info Seeker

Re: Does Music Make Life Better?

Message 1 of 60

Music makes all things better. I love smooth jazz. Anytime I'm feeling down I just tune in and let the music take me to a better place. I love the many instruments. Just so soothing. I also listen to ocean and thunderstorm sounds with soft music playing in the background. I usually play that in the evening when I go to bed. Very soothing and helps me sleep.

Report Inappropriate Content
Info Seeker

Message 2 of 60

Absolutely.  I don't play a lick but I sing in my church choir.  I moved last year but won't change churches because of that.  I'd like to write songs but there is so much to learn.  Music is a language of love, sadness, happiness.  My favorites are Asia (RIP John Wetton), Santana, Deep Purple (RIP Jon Lord).  I still buy their new CD recordings despite format changes, social and other media changes, popular style changes.  Another fave is NY's Micheal Stanley.  Music takes me away from the everyday grey into a place where I can pretend to play drums or keyboards just for fun.  Music lets me feel joy or even cry when I hear it.

Info Seeker

Message 3 of 60
Add Tom Petty to that list!
Frequent Social Butterfly

Message 4 of 60
WE KNOW MUSIC CAN HEAL IN MANY WAYS- JUST READ A GREAT ARTICLE/INTERVIEW W/ A NOTED(NEUROLOGIST?) STROKE DOCTOR WHO DISCUSSED THE POWER OF MUSIC TO HELP APHASIA VICTIMS REGAIN THEIR VOICES. HE ALSO DISCUSSES THE AMAZING HUMAN BRAIN & ITS RESPONSE TO MUSIC IN MORE THAN ONE PLACE( IN THE BRAIN).
SUPERGIRL, NO REALLY I MEAN IT! HER REAL NAME & MINE ARE THE SAME( FIRST 2 NAMES ARE)
Frequent Social Butterfly

Message 5 of 60
ALMOST TOO MANY TO LIST, BUT I'LL START W/ALANNIS MORISETTE'S "YOU OUGHTA KNOW" HELPING ME DIRECT MY HURT THROUGH A NASTY BREAKUP. & LUCINDA WILLIAMS "CAR WHEELS ON A GRAVEL ROAD" SENDING ME OFF TO SLEEP HAPPILY IN LOVE THE NEXT TIME( AFTER NASTY BREAKUP) OBLA-DI, O-BLA-DA, LIFE GOES ON- BRA"!
SUPERGIRL, NO REALLY I MEAN IT! HER REAL NAME & MINE ARE THE SAME( FIRST 2 NAMES ARE)
Info Seeker

Message 6 of 60
I love country music because the words and singing are important to me. I grew up singing while I was swinging on our backyard swing set. Surprised no one ever stopped me or complained. Country favorites within the last decade are "The Dance" by Garth Brooks, and "Live Like You Were Dying" by Tim McGraw.
But also with all the violence in the world, one of my very favorite songs has always been "Let There Be Peace on Earth", and when I hear children singing it, it brings tears to my eyes.
Info Seeker

Message 7 of 60

Songs for difficult times in my life:

ballads by Patsy Cline

”A Song for You” and “Manhattan Island Serenade” by Leon Russell

”Goddamn Lonely Love” by the Drive By Truckers Written by Jason Isbell

”The River” by Joni Mitchell

”Compassion” and “If I Have to be Alone” by Todd Rundgren

”La Traviata” by Verdi esp. Un di, felice, eterea and Sempre libera. 

Info Seeker

Message 8 of 60

I cannot conceive of life without music.  Leon Russell was/is my number 1 music hero, closely followed by Todd Rundgren, David Bowie and Pat Metheny.  And Richard Thompson.  And Jason Isbell.  And Joni Mitchell.  And Leonard Cohen.  And Debussy.  And Art Tatum.  And Sonny Rollins.  And Buddy Guy.  And Lester Young.  And Mozart. And Verdi.  And ...so it goes.  

Info Seeker

Message 9 of 60

Music has been incredibly important to me since I was a child. My mom's family all played musical instruments so she was very dedicated to having all 6 of us children learn something even though we were poor and getting a clarinet or trumpet, which were the most affordable, was tough. I was probably 12 when I got my first transister radio and remember listening to Casey Kasem's countdown espically the year end and the top 100 were listed and some were played. My music tastes have expanded to jazz and blues but I still listen to rock and make a point of hearing new music. My husband and I still have some of our old vinyl and seek out record stores when travelling. A new "used" vinyl record from a new town is our only memento we need to bring home. We have lots of fun pulling out the records to play. I can't imagine my life without music.

Bronze Conversationalist

Message 10 of 60

Yes, coming from a musical family, my life has always been surrounded by music.   We are blessed to be surrounded with many musician friends & that brings us that much closer.   I have never underestimated the power of music & the joy it brings to my life.