Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Community Manager
Community Manager

Does Music Make Life Better?

More than 70% of Americans 45 and older say music has helped them through a difficult time in their lives, according to a survey published earlier this month by marketing research/data analytics firm YouGov.

While music appears to be a motivator for the majority of people, it was particularly high for older Americans.   More from AARP >> https://www.aarp.org/entertainment/music/info-2017/music-improve-life-fd.html

What song got you through your most difficult time and why?

Sandy

Regular Contributor

Absolutely! When I am feeling down, I ask my Google mini for some 60s or 70s songs and sometimes I even dance to the faster beats. Works every time!

Regular Contributor

Of course it does.  It's been proven to help in all kinds of physically and mentally stressful situations.  One song that has helped me is Roll Away the Stone by The Ozark Mountain Daredevils.

Kudos
Views
Periodic Contributor

The song I sing to myself when I'm struggling is "When You Walk Through A Storm".  I first heard it in middle school choir and have used it to bring peace to my heart ever since. 

Periodic Contributor

youll never walk alone
Honored Social Butterfly

I cannot imagine anyone not saying yes of course it does..  it is the soundtrack to your life!!

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Periodic Contributor

You'll Never Walk Alone is the title but the song's meaning is most important.
Periodic Contributor

replying to walk through a storm
Regular Contributor

I'm replying to myself here, but the name of the Ozark Mountain Daredevils song I referred to is Beauty in the River.  Oops!

Regular Contributor

SO true. I shed tears every time Jerry Lewis sang it at the end of the telethon. Not really sad tears. The message was so empowering and hopeful that the emotion was a little too much for my tear ducts!

Trusted Contributor

music that has made me feel better during difficult times:

I Can See Clearly Now - Johnny Nash

Let It Be - The Beatles

Skyscraper - Demi Lovato

Periodic Contributor

Quick pick me up. no message but great beat. Apple,Peaches,Pumpkin Pie by Jay and the Techniques
Periodic Contributor

I have a Crosley record player that plays 78s, 45s, and 33and1/3 long play vinyls. it looks and sounds like ones I had in the 1950s. I've had it a few years and paid maybe 60-70 dollars for it. there are different retro players available. I have alot of old vinyls in speeds mentioned above. vinyl albums ,oldies, are readily available although not for $5 like years ago. My old records are somewhat scratchy but I really enjoy listening to them on my retro-look record player. I am forgiving of the lack of high quality sound as it pretty much sounds like it did back then. No remotes, you set the needle on the record by hand. Just like you used to change the tv channel by hand!

Contributor

Yes music does make life better!  "STAYING ALIVE" by the Bee Gees was my favorite song during cancer treatment.

Contributor

"Evergreen" by Barbara Streisand.

Contributor

I like the Eagles "Take it Easy" and "Hotel California" among many others

Does anyone remember Brry Sadler's Ballad of the Green Berets ? It isn't just for our generation, but for all who served.

Contributor

Does anyone remember Barry Sadler's Ballad of the Green Betets ? Is this just for our generation?

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

@GeraldF559646 Oh, oh, no, that is a classic still 🙂

Periodic Contributor

I have a few. I once bought an entire CD for one song: Louis Armstrong, "It's a Wonderful World." 

"How Great Thou Art" has been a favorite since I was very young.

Also "The River" by Garth Brooks, "Life's a Dance" by John Michael Montgomery....and above all these is

"Imagine" by John Lennon.

I could not exist without music!

Trusted Contributor

Music truly can move one's emotions and touch our heart and mind. I'm a smooth jazz lover and old school music lover as well. And yes it's good to have music in your life.

Regular Contributor

I have two.

When I'm a little down and the world doesn't seem to care enough for it's inhabitants such as people and animals, and I can only wish with all my heart for more compassion, I think of Simon and Garfunkle's the Sounds of Silence.  That's what happens when no one cares enough to make a change.

The one that I really love to sing with, dance to and feel good about is Katrina and the Waves Walking on Sunshine.  It's just awesome and makes everything fun.

Contributor

I would not be happy without music in my life!  It depends on the mood I'm in as to what type of music I'm listening to.  I enjoy music while I cook, clean, walk outside, have company or a party, socialize in and outdoors... it's almost always on even if it's just in the background.  I enjoy christian contemporary,  country rock, classic rock, some alternative, piano, violin, instrumentals and others.  I don't want to know what the world would be like without music.  It affects the way we feel and how we respond to things.  

Contributor

Wake up and listen to Elvis sing Amazing grace every day as part of my devotional.

Periodic Contributor

Good idea. Thanks. I just pulled it up, and it is great.
0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

YES !

Social Butterfly

DBEATLS.jpg

I may be old

But I got to see

All the cool bands.

Thank you so much, covfefe, and good night!
-- Anna Kendrick
Contributor

Me (Grace Rene') recording at Eastside Project Studio on the outskirts of Nashville in Antioch, TN.Me (Grace Rene') recording at Eastside Project Studio on the outskirts of Nashville in Antioch, TN."Chloe's Mom" - One of the songs I wrote about adoption."Chloe's Mom" - One of the songs I wrote about adoption.Music makes my heart sing! 🙂 What is that saying? "LIFE IS A SONG! LOVE IS THE MUSIC!" Thanks for listening. I turned 55 this past December. 🙂 

Periodic Contributor

Music has the ability to shut off the world around you and move to to another place.  For me, I can get lost in the music, which bring a smile to my face and lift my spirits.  The great thing about music and the different genres is that there is something for everybody.

I don't know what songs got me through difficult times, but I have listened to a lot of Rush and Toto and various jazz arists.  I have seen many bands in concert and had a wonderful experience.  I am thankful we live in a world with music and creativity.

Regular Social Butterfly

It is very soothing and was a life saver for me. My daughter was killed and my therapist suggest I listen to soothing quiet music to go to sleep because I was having such a hard time.
I love music anyway, but the soothing music was a better kind of music at this time.
When I was young I use to blast the music and clean my entire house on week-ends as I worked all week.
I love music. and IMO it does make for a better life.
Live For Today, No One is Guaranteed a TOMORROW !
Regular Contributor

Yes, music is the bread of life, I love rock n roll, country, classical and basically all music with soul 🙂 It calms me, increases focus and just makes life more pleasurable 🙂

Music ABSOLUTELY makes life better. For most of us with any major event in life has occurred, there is usually a song attatched to that memory. Musicians are known to have a higher IQ. Music helps students study better.

Mimithunder
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP