Check out the 10th anniversary edition of ’99 Great Ways to Save,’ AARP’s annual guide to saving money.

Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Celebrating 60 Years of Motown

Message 1 of 40

The Supremes

Marvin Gaye

Temptations

Jackson 5

Martha and the Vandellas

Gladys Knight

and many more...

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 40

Smokey Robinson & the Miracles

Diana Ross & the Supremes

The Temptations

The Four Tops

Stevie Wonder

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 40

joey-2465 and Patti LaBelle is still going strong, today (smile).

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 40

Marvin Gaye is my favorite. I also like Michael Jackson, Smokey Robinson, Babyface and Teena Marie.

I saw Smokey Robinson (in the front row) at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas on my 30th birthday. I gave him a rose and he gave me a kiss 😘

Assume nothing. Question everything. And start thinking.
Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 40

I was always partial to two of the earliest Motown artists, Marv Johnson and Mary Wells. Both had several big hits early on. Unfortunately, neither achieved the tremendous success of many of their Motown contemporaries. 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 40

Diana Ross is my all time favorite Motown female artist. Her style was so fierce. She was truly the “Boss”. She took control and commanded attention in all her shows. Sexy, sassy, captivating, beautiful, Superbly raw talent. This lady did it all music, acting, modeling, producer, arranger, CEO. She definitely made her mark! She made sure everyone knew “I’m Coming Out” was her signature motto!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 40

It has to be the one and only " Funk Brothers ". If it haven't been for them, maybe there wouldn't have been a Motown Sound.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 40

@AARPLynne wrote:

AARP is celebrating 60 years of Motown! Who's your favorite classic group or artist?

I was partial to The Temptations. Who could resist songs like, "Papa Was a Rolling Stone", Psychedelic Shack", Runaway Child", or "Ball of Confusion"? But I have a bone to pick: It seems no one mentioned the group Rare Earth. Why did Motown seem to neglect Rare Earth when they had their 50 year celebration? Could it be that Rare Earth was one of the few non African American groups that were signed to Motown? I'm just spitballing here, but Rare Earth had some pretty big hits for Motown" "Hey, Big Brother", Get Ready", Tobacco Road", and "(I Know) I'm Losing You"

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 40

Well, I can not think of any Motown artists that I did not love, but would have to say that Diana Ross and the Supremes were my favorite!  Marvin Gaye and Stevie Wonder would be right up there as well!

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 40
What does this have to do with Motown?
Kudos
Views