Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Retired Community Manager

Celebrating 60 Years of Motown

AARP is celebrating 60 years of Motown! Who's your favorite classic group or artist?

Bronze Conversationalist

Easy - The Temptations

2nd place - The Ronettes

Trusted Contributor

The Supremes

Marvin Gaye

Temptations

Jackson 5

Martha and the Vandellas

Gladys Knight

and many more...

Contributor

Smokey Robinson & the Miracles

Diana Ross & the Supremes

The Temptations

The Four Tops

Stevie Wonder

Honored Social Butterfly

I was always partial to two of the earliest Motown artists, Marv Johnson and Mary Wells. Both had several big hits early on. Unfortunately, neither achieved the tremendous success of many of their Motown contemporaries. 

Social Butterfly

Marvin Gaye is my favorite. I also like Michael Jackson, Smokey Robinson, Babyface and Teena Marie.

I saw Smokey Robinson (in the front row) at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas on my 30th birthday. I gave him a rose and he gave me a kiss 😘

Diana Ross is my all time favorite Motown female artist. Her style was so fierce. She was truly the “Boss”. She took control and commanded attention in all her shows. Sexy, sassy, captivating, beautiful, Superbly raw talent. This lady did it all music, acting, modeling, producer, arranger, CEO. She definitely made her mark! She made sure everyone knew “I’m Coming Out” was her signature motto!

Periodic Contributor

It has to be the one and only " Funk Brothers ". If it haven't been for them, maybe there wouldn't have been a Motown Sound.

Contributor

@AARPLynne wrote:

AARP is celebrating 60 years of Motown! Who's your favorite classic group or artist?

I was partial to The Temptations. Who could resist songs like, "Papa Was a Rolling Stone", Psychedelic Shack", Runaway Child", or "Ball of Confusion"? But I have a bone to pick: It seems no one mentioned the group Rare Earth. Why did Motown seem to neglect Rare Earth when they had their 50 year celebration? Could it be that Rare Earth was one of the few non African American groups that were signed to Motown? I'm just spitballing here, but Rare Earth had some pretty big hits for Motown" "Hey, Big Brother", Get Ready", Tobacco Road", and "(I Know) I'm Losing You"

Well, I can not think of any Motown artists that I did not love, but would have to say that Diana Ross and the Supremes were my favorite!  Marvin Gaye and Stevie Wonder would be right up there as well!

Periodic Contributor

Diana Ross and the Supremes

Mary Wilson

Susaye Greene

Sherrie Payne

Marvin Gaye

Martha Reeves and the Vandellas

Periodic Contributor

The Four Tops, "Sugar Pie Honey Bunch, I Can't Help Myself " Helen. Los Angeles

Periodic Contributor

The Four Tops, "Sugar Pie Honey Bunch, I Can't Help Myself " Helen. Los Angeles
Periodic Contributor

The Four Tops! "Sugar Pie, Honey Bunch. I Can't Help Myself " Helen Los Angeles
Periodic Contributor

Marvin Gaye is definitely my favorite. The love of his music passed through two generations.

The Isley Brothers(very short time in the 60s).

The Spinners

Contributor

The Temptations my favorite Motown group....but the music from all the groups was so so good...I still enjoy those sounds!

Kudos
Views
Social Butterfly

“Motown As We Know It Would Not Exist Without Holland-Dozier-Holland”
                             ....… Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

I agree with @rh97821964 the prolific Motown song writing team of Holland-Dozier-Holland deserves a nod and then some. Goggle this trio for a list of the many hit Motown songs they wrote.

Smokey Robinson was not only a great performer but he wrote the songs for himself and the Miracles and he wrote songs for many other Motown stars, Marvin Gaye, the Marveletts, Jimmy Ruffin, the Temptations, Mary Wells and The Supremes.

Periodic Contributor

I’m more British Invasion than Motown.  However, I always loved the most diva Diana Ross and the Supremes!

Kudos
Views
Contributor

I love the 4 Tops, and the Temptations. I grew up listening to this music as a native Detroiter, and I still love it! Simply the best music. From "Sugarpie Honeybunch", to "Baby I need your lovin", and more, Motown music will never go out of style.

Contributor

My favs are a tie between Mary Wells and Smokey and the Miricles

Conversationalist

I would pick Smokey/Miracles due to their relative longevity over Mary Wells - who was a great singer - and having Smokey as their composer/lead singer. Mary, unfortunately, passed away far too soon.

Contributor

Al Green .. hands down

Periodic Contributor

Not Motown.
Regular Contributor

Absolutely Stevie Wonder!! I saw him in a small club in Los Angeles, Marty's On the Hill and a significantly larger venue, The Forum. He dated a high schoo classmate and I MET HIM in the Crenshaw Mall, almost getting hit by a car getting to him where I made a complete fool of myself, asking his companion if I could speak to him. He replied, "He can hear you." Oy. He was my first celebrity crush and I still love his music, "As" my all time favorite.

Regular Contributor

Motown was great music 🎶 you had to love the Temptations, Four Tops, Martha Reeves,Supremes, Mary Wells, Marvin Gay, Smokey Robinson,but the real music makers of these songs were the Funk Brothers. 🎶

Smokey Robinson & the Miracles followed by the Temptations. I grew up in Detroit, 5 miles from Hitsville. They were bigger than the Beatles!

Conversationalist

Liked the choreography of Motown's groups: Temptations, Four Tops, Supremes, etc. Motown's in house prep department was great.

And give a shout out to the Funk Brothers, Motowns in house band.

The Temptations was an awesome Motown group. 

Contributor

Stevie Wonder

Marvin Gaye

The Supremes

The Miracles

Jackson 5

This was the best soundtrack of my life, and I'm still listening 60 years later. 

Regular Contributor

I couldn't get enough of the Statler Brothers. Their voices were great and they were also funny at times. Loved their take off on some scriptures. 

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP