Have questions about your Medicare options? AARP's Medicare Resource Center can help.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Celebrating 60 Years of Motown

Message 21 of 40

“Motown As We Know It Would Not Exist Without Holland-Dozier-Holland”
                             ....… Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

I agree with @rh97821964 the prolific Motown song writing team of Holland-Dozier-Holland deserves a nod and then some. Goggle this trio for a list of the many hit Motown songs they wrote.

Smokey Robinson was not only a great performer but he wrote the songs for himself and the Miracles and he wrote songs for many other Motown stars, Marvin Gaye, the Marveletts, Jimmy Ruffin, the Temptations, Mary Wells and The Supremes.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 22 of 40

I’m more British Invasion than Motown.  However, I always loved the most diva Diana Ross and the Supremes!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 23 of 40

I love the 4 Tops, and the Temptations. I grew up listening to this music as a native Detroiter, and I still love it! Simply the best music. From "Sugarpie Honeybunch", to "Baby I need your lovin", and more, Motown music will never go out of style.

Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 24 of 40

I would pick Smokey/Miracles due to their relative longevity over Mary Wells - who was a great singer - and having Smokey as their composer/lead singer. Mary, unfortunately, passed away far too soon.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 25 of 40

My favs are a tie between Mary Wells and Smokey and the Miricles

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 26 of 40

Al Green .. hands down

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 27 of 40

Absolutely Stevie Wonder!! I saw him in a small club in Los Angeles, Marty's On the Hill and a significantly larger venue, The Forum. He dated a high schoo classmate and I MET HIM in the Crenshaw Mall, almost getting hit by a car getting to him where I made a complete fool of myself, asking his companion if I could speak to him. He replied, "He can hear you." Oy. He was my first celebrity crush and I still love his music, "As" my all time favorite.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 28 of 40

I consider MoTown to be the soundtrack to my youth, especially my teenage years. I actually got to meet Eddie Kendricks and, wait for it, SMOKEY ROBINSON. Last year, 2018, I went to see MoTown the Musical and got to sing with 'Diana Ross'. It was such a highlight and I got a sound round of applause.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 29 of 40

Motown was great music 🎶 you had to love the Temptations, Four Tops, Martha Reeves,Supremes, Mary Wells, Marvin Gay, Smokey Robinson,but the real music makers of these songs were the Funk Brothers. 🎶

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 30 of 40

Smokey Robinson & the Miracles followed by the Temptations. I grew up in Detroit, 5 miles from Hitsville. They were bigger than the Beatles!

Kudos
Views