Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Regular Social Butterfly

Bios that are great reads

I've read many Rock artists' biographies and somehow have my own review...

• "Does the Noise in My Head Bother You..." ~ Steven Tyler

strut and stuff; he wrote this and it is so obviously him. Nothing wrong with that...

• Ice: A Memoir of Gangster Life and Redemption-from South Central to Hollywood

Wow; just wow; Ice honest!

I want more bios worth reading. Any suggestions appreciated!

#StaySafe

#VegasStrong
Phil Harris, actor and showman, to John Fogerty of CCR: “If I’d known I’d live this long, I’d have taken better care of myself.”
0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

Not technically a bio but The Lyrics by Paul McCartney is a great read. A little pricey though. 

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

If you happen to be a fan of The Who, I highly recommend these two. 

Thanks A Lot Mr Kibblewhite, Roger Daltrey, autobiography 2018

Who I Am, Pete Townshend, autobiography, 2012

Polar opposite’s, they truly are. From childhood to the way they live now;  their talents, personalities, lifestyles, couldn’t be more different. Yet they could pull it all together when it counted. A lot of myths about the band are dispelled by both writers. Pete goes into more detail, sometimes a little TMI in his personal relationships, IMO, but does give a lot of insight to his writing process, inspiration and background of many songs.

I finished Roger’s book, and about half way through Pete’s. Roger had a professional writer help with his, and it reads very well. Pete is on his own, being the artist that he is. Well written, but sometimes comes off sounding a little highbrow. A bit of professional editing would have helped. 

“When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.” - Jimi Hendrix
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

I also love rock bios and have read several. The most interesting, and fascinating is this one: Magic Carpet Ride, autobiography by John Kay.

He writes a lot about his childhood, how his mother brought him out of Prussia and later escaped from East Germany, eventually going to Canada. He writes about the challenges of growing up legally blind. There’s quite a bit before he gets to Steppenwolf, and the history of the band. An excellent read. If it’s not sold out, the book was last available on the Steppenwolf website. Otherwise, try eBay or similar, if interested.

“When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.” - Jimi Hendrix
0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP