Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Best Buy will cease selling CDs later this year

Honored Social Butterfly

A technologically obsolete medium that self-destructs over time? No wonder only 89 million CDs were purchased in all of 2017. Back in 2001, that number peaked at 800 million and many of those copies were sold by retail giants like Best Buy and Target. But as interest in physical discs has waned, so too has the amount of space these stores dedicate to such inventory. Soon enough, Best Buy will cease selling CDs altogether, while Target will ask record labels to front the costs, according to a new report from Billboard.

End of an era.

https://consequenceofsound.net/2018/02/best-buy-will-cease-selling-cds-later-this-year/

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Social Butterfly

Hey! Some of us still need CDs. My car is 12-years-old, has 89K miles; it looks good and runs great. It has AM/FM and a 6 CD changer. So I buy songs from iTunes and burn them onto CDs. I keep buying songs and making playlists and burning new CDs when the old ones get a little boring. I'm thinking of buying a lifetime supply. I don't think they'll stop producing blank CDs completely. Even if the demand is very small, a very small company can still make money.

I can't believe I have worry about buying blank CDs in America.

Thank you so much, covfefe, and good night!
-- Anna Kendrick
Honored Social Butterfly

I don't buy many CDs anymore, it depends on what kind of music it is. Sometimes I just by a few singles on iTunes. On Amazon, you can often buy the CD w/ download included. That works, too!

I've saved most of my CD collection to iTunes, but still have a ways to go. There are some CDs that I like to play on the old school setup. We still have our large Infinity floor speakers which are now in the 'towers' of the storage unit. Nothing can match those speakers for sound! Some music is just better that way

“When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.” - Jimi Hendrix
Honored Social Butterfly

MaVolta wrote:

I don't buy many CDs anymore, it depends on what kind of music it is. Sometimes I just by a few singles on iTunes. On Amazon, you can often buy the CD w/ download included. That works, too!

I've saved most of my CD collection to iTunes, but still have a ways to go. There are some CDs that I like to play on the old school setup. We still have our large Infinity floor speakers which are now in the 'towers' of the storage unit. Nothing can match those speakers for sound! Some music is just better that way

Yes  itunes  me too..  but something about that vinyl  : )    There are so many ways to listen to music nowadays it is amazing.

Honored Social Butterfly

But vinyl made a come back. 😆

Trusted Social Butterfly

YIKES! Hope Amazon doesn't stop selling them. N.

Honored Social Butterfly

catwoman500 wrote:

YIKES! Hope Amazon doesn't stop selling them. N.

Amazon is now in charge of selling everything  LOL    Hopefully you are safe! @catwoman500

Honored Social Butterfly

Some new cars don't even have the CD capability anymore. I wonder if USB flash drives will be the new media along with downloading since small flash drives cost less than $1 to make.

Honored Social Butterfly

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

Some new cars don't even have the CD capability anymore. I wonder if USB flash drives will be the new media along with downloading since small flash drives cost less than $1 to make.

Don't the new cars just play music from your iPhone? I haven't looked at one in a few years!

“When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.” - Jimi Hendrix
Honored Social Butterfly

@MaVolta wrote:

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

Don't the new cars just play music from your iPhone? I haven't looked at one in a few years!

The new cars have USB port(s), XM Satellite Radio, Android Play, Apple play (the "Plays" allow your car screen to actually become your cell phone screen while in the car)! With Android Play or Apple Play, your car screen could be your navigation system using (for instance) Google Maps or Waze.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

The new cars have USB port(s), XM Satellite Radio, Android Play, Apple play (the "Plays" allow your car screen to actually become your cell phone screen while in the car)! With Android Play or Apple Play, your car screen could be your navigation system using (for instance) Google Maps or Waze.

I guess technology will never cease to amaze! I hope they include atomic clocks, as well. I always forget how to reset my clock twice a year, even though it's a simple operation! 

Trusted Social Butterfly

@MaVolta wrote:

I guess technology will never cease to amaze! I hope they include atomic clocks, as well. I always forget how to reset my clock twice a year, even though it's a simple operation! 

@MaVolta, OMG! Twice a year I have to get the darn manual out of the glove box and look up how to change the clock. It is very simple! You'd think I'd remember 6 month later how to do it! My car is a 2013, but the dashboard looks like a cockpit and sometimes I can't even find the eject button for the CD player. I'm pretty sure this car is capable of synching with my smartphone, but at the time I bought the car, I didn't have a smartphone, so this old dog is not learning any new tricks until I get a new car. I don't even know how to get music onto my smartphone! The first time On Star talked to me I almost freaked out. Needless to say, I got rid of that service after the free trial was up.

Honored Social Butterfly

@MaVolta wrote:

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

Most have self setting clocks (probably using GPS). CDs are going the way of vinyl records.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Breakout® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP