The AARP Movies for Grownups Awards premieres tonight on many PBS stations. Watch at 9 p.m. ET.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: American Indian Music

Message 1 of 54

😿 Awww, beautiful!!

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 54

Frank Waln  My Stone

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 54

@millineutron wrote:

Yes! Love Logan Staats! Also wondered if you had heard of Frank Waln. Not in the film, but an inspiring  Sicangu Lakota rapper / songwriter / producer who grew up on the Rosebud Sioux Reservation in South Dakota. https://youtu.be/5_1fmbKCMmY

What a rich family heritage you have! Haven't heard about future distribution plans for the film, but I will ask Hermon and keep you posted. Thanks for all your beautiful musical selections in this thread. Love this music! ❤

@millineutron  Sorry for the tardy reply. I wanted to have a minute to go give a listen to Frank Waln. I'd not yet heard of him. Rap is not my favorite genre, but this was worth a listen. Smiley Happy

I wanted to post another Frank Waln song, but we're in the middle of an ice storm and my internet connection is having issues because of it. Will try again later. Smiley Happy

I'm glad you are finding music you like here. Pleae feel free to post more selections. Smiley Happy

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 54

Yes! Love Logan Staats! Also wondered if you had heard of Frank Waln. Not in the film, but an inspiring  Sicangu Lakota rapper / songwriter / producer who grew up on the Rosebud Sioux Reservation in South Dakota. https://youtu.be/5_1fmbKCMmY

What a rich family heritage you have! Haven't heard about future distribution plans for the film, but I will ask Hermon and keep you posted. Thanks for all your beautiful musical selections in this thread. Love this music! ❤

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 54

@millineutron wrote:

Hi Epster! Last year an awesome documentary about the indigenous music scene (in Canada mostly) was  released via film festivals. It's called When They Awake. I just know about it because a family friend was one of the filmmakers, but this website has a section with information about all the amazing musicians in the film:

https://whentheyawake.com

@millineutron  What an incredible project! Thanks for sharing that link!  The Twitter page appears to be defunct, but the Facebook page is still active, and it was interesting to read about current events in Manitoba (My Fr Canadian/Scotch-Irish/Algonquin/Basque Grandma's family still lives there) I wonder when/if the film will be available via the library or Netflix. 

Meanwhile, here's the latest single, The Lucky Ones, by Logan Staats, one of the featured artists:

Bonus! Running Like A River also by Logan Staats:

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 54

Hi Epster! Last year an awesome documentary about the indigenous music scene (in Canada mostly) was  released via film festivals. It's called When They Awake. I just know about it because a family friend was one of the filmmakers, but this website has a section with information about all the amazing musicians in the film:

https://whentheyawake.com

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 54

John Trudell  Crazy Horse

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 54

@l483260l wrote:

https://store.cdbaby.com/cd/johntrudell?SourceCode=widgetbaby

NOT TRADITIONAL, BUT WORTHY. SHOULDN'T IT BE "NATIVE AMERICAN". NO "AMERICAN INDIAN" MUSIC ?

HI @l483260l

Thanks for introducing me to John Trudell. I like it. 

For the record nah, it doesn't have to be flute and drum (traditional. Lots of what I posted to this thread is pretty modern stuff. Smiley Happy

As to the question of Native American versus American Indian, here's the take I grew up with on the reservation: Anything other than the actual tribe name (Hopi, Arapaho, et cetera) is actually incorrect, or at least a name given them by Europeans, and therefore somewhat insulting to at least some members of the First Nations. Since we are talking about many different nations as a whole, neither moniker is better than the other. So I learned to stick with American Indian because at least for the Indians I grew up around, that one was as good as the 'new and improved' (I think they meant 'white guilt appeasing') Native American. Afterall, anyone born here is a native American. Of course, you will find American Indians with individual takes on this, but that's the one I learned. 

So use the term you prefer,  I guess. Smiley Happy

And post away! Smiley Happy

Kudos
Views
Super Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 54

https://store.cdbaby.com/cd/johntrudell?SourceCode=widgetbaby

NOT TRADITIONAL, BUT WORTHY. SHOULDN'T IT BE "NATIVE AMERICAN". NO "AMERICAN INDIAN" MUSIC ?

SUPERGIRL, NO REALLY I MEAN IT! HER REAL NAME & MINE ARE THE SAME( FIRST 2 NAMES ARE)
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 54

K Mockingbird  Songs of the Soul

Kudos
Views