Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

America The Beautiful - Patriotic Songs in Celebration of America

Conversationalist

America The Beautiful - Patriotic Songs in Celebration of America

Memorial Day, also known as Decoration Day, is a US federal holiday established to mourn, honor, and remember American military personnel who died while serving in the United States armed forces.  It is observed on the last Monday of May.  It also unofficially marks the beginning of summer in the US.

Initially the day started as a time to decorate the graves of southern soldiers lost in the Civil War.  It was eventually adopted by every northern state as well.  The World Wars turned it into a generalized day of remembrance

The playlist is a combination of traditional patriotic songs, more contemporary songs about America, soldiers, and patriotism. 

My hope is that you might let this playlist cycle in the background at your Memorial Day, 4th of July, and Labor Day celebrations, not only to enjoy some great music, but to honor and remember those who have fought for our freedom and safety in this great country we live in, which we so often take for granted or even malign for all its problems, not celebrating and appreciating all that is good in this land that we live in.  We have much to be proud of and thankful for in this land where our forefathers sought refuge from oppression or poverty, looking for new opportunities, a new life.  We have grown into a nation where many we have the privilege to choose our own direction, speak out freely, travel unrestricted, and create our own life.  While there are those who still struggle to see such an American Dream, often through the misfortune of being raised in poverty and perhaps ignorance and lack of opportunity.  We need to continue to work toward raising our brothers and sisters up and continuing to evolve as a country where anything is possible, which was the dream and vision of our forefathers.

“We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.”

https://listentothemusicblog.com/america-the-beautify-patriotic-songs-in-celebration-of-america/

I hope that this music and my blog truly serve as a “revival: a new presentation of something old,” a springboard to return to the music of your youth, or perhaps to find artists you want to discover anew.  Rediscover the passion of music in your life.  Live in the moment.  Enjoy the moment.  Love the moment.  Listen to the MUSIC!

Honored Social Butterfly

Love the playlist, as always. I also love Ray

Charles and Whitney’s versions of those

American classics. I had never heard Alan

Jacksons song and it brought tears to my

eyes. I have seen Mt. Rushmore in person

and it is magnificent! If I could add one song,

it would be: “This ain’t no rag, it’s a flag”

by the incomparable Charlie Daniels 🎼💜

0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

Very interesting playlist...lots of great songs.

Not trying to be a Kill Joy...Patriotic is one of those words that tends to have a very clear meaning at the individual level, but can have very different meanings from person to person.  It would have been encouraging to see Alice's Restaurant - Arlo Guthrie and For What Its Worth - Buffalo Springfield on the list just to keep it real.  Seems unrepresentative for the only song that tells an American to 'stay away' is the Lenny Kravitz cover of The Guess Who's American Woman.

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP