Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Conversationalist

Acoustic Guitar Intro Songs

March 20, 1991 Eric Clapton’s 4 year old son, Conor, fell to his death thought an open window from the 53rd story of his mother’s New York City apartment.  Clapton was staying nearby in a hotel after taking his son to the circus the previous evening.  The tragedy inspired his song “Tears In Heaven.” As I have discussed previously, music can be therapeutic, helping process grief, death, and sadness, and promote healing.  This touching song appears in my playlist “From The Beginning,” a playlist celebrating the best acoustic guitar intros in rock and pop.

Some of my favorites, my top 25, if you will, with just amazing guitar intros, in order of the playlist, not necessarily in order of greatness, include “From The Beginning,” “Suite Madame Blue,” “Little Guitars,” “Roundabout,” “Closer To The Heart,” “More Than Words,” “Dust In The Wind,” “Solsbury Hill,” “Time In A Bottle,” “Pinball Wizard,” “Crazy On You,” “Hitch A Ride,” “Here Comes The Sun,” “Scarborough Fair,” “Babe I’m Gonna Leave You,” “Can’t Find My Way Home,” “Wish You Were Here,” “Over The Hills And Far Away,” “More Than A Feeling,” “Hotel California,” “Stairway To Heaven,” “Operator,” “Romeo And Juliet,” “Night Moves,” and “Time In A Bottle.”

Some of the great rock guitarists on the list are Jimmy Page (Led Zeppelin) and Eric Clapton, each with 4 songs on the playlist, Brad Delp (Boston), George Harrison (Beatles), Alex Lifeson (Rush) and Nancy Wilson (Heart).  Absent are a few high-profile guitar greats, including Jimi Hendrix, Carlos Santana, and Stevie Ray Vaughn, as electric guitar was their axe of choice.  Some great folk guitarists/groups include James Taylor with 7 songs on the playlist, America, Jim Croce, Dan Fogelberg, and Cat Stevens, among others.

Also included is a brief foray into finger style acoustic guitar.  In tribute to my time spend in Granada, Spain during college, I also introduce a bit of flamenco and even cante jondo, to perhaps broaden your horizons a bit. There’s some Al DiMeola, Rodrigo y Gabriela, Estas Tonne (born in the Ukraine), Sabicas, Ken Nishimura, and Tommy Emmanuel.  Check them out!

Live in the moment.  Enjoy the moment.  Love the moment.  Listen to the MUSIC!

https://listentothemusicblog.com/from-the-beginning-great-acoustic-guitar-intro-songs/

Trusted Contributor

One on my mind right now is Young Pilgrims by The Shins.  

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

I would include:

Ventura Highway-America

My God-Tull

Suite Judy Blue Eyes-CS&N

Changes IV-Cat Stevens

0 Kudos
Conversationalist

Ventura Highway's already on the list.  Suite Judy Blue Eyes with a good acoustic intro isn't available due to the CSN boycott of Spotify...  My God while an excellent intro isn't quite the "hit" of most of the songs on the list.

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

There's so many good acoustical guitar songs, I would have a list that's practically waist high.  

As far as Led Zeppelin goes, both Babe I'm Going To Leave You & Stairway To Heaven were stolen.  Babe I'm Going To Leave You was originally done by Joan Baez and the music part of Stairway To Heaven was originally done by a group called Spirit and that song was Taurus.   In case if you didn't know about that group Spirit, their hit song was "I Got A Line On You, Babe".  

Conversationalist

Have you heard Joan Baez' original version of Babe I'm Gonna Leave You?  It's pretty awful.  It is among one of the best covers I have ever heard - a reimagining of the true potential of the song.  Sheer genius.  If you haven't seen it already, check out my covers playlist (and blog).  I think you'll appreciate it: 

https://listentothemusicblog.com/cover-me-great-cover-songs-their-originals/

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Now that’s a great playlist! Of the ones you’ve posted, this has been my favorite. Acoustic intros don’t get much better than Hotel California on Hell Freezes Over. I saw the video when it was first released, and have the CD.  Paul Simon and James Taylor are two of the best. So here are a few more that would be on my list . . .

Blackbird - The Beatles / Macca

The Boxer - S&G (short intro but Simon’s touch is magical)

California Dreamin - The Mamas & The Papas

Question - The Moody Blues

Nothing Else Matters - Metallica 

The Unforgiven - Metallica 

Holiday (acoustic version) - Scorpions 

Always Be With You - Scorpions 

White Dove - Scorpions 

Thanks for the post. 😎

Edit: Adding

Maggie Mae - Rod Stewart
Solitary Man - Neil Diamond

I Am…I Said - Neil Diamond

I could probably find more! 😸

Also, Apple Music has a playlist, Classic Acoustic that’s really good.

“When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.” - Jimi Hendrix
Conversationalist

California Dreaming is already on the list.  Blackbird and The Boxer just seem a little to short, have to ponder those. Added The Question, The Unforgiven, and the Scorpions songs, though want to scrutinize them to insure seem more acoustic than electric.  Nothing Else Matters seems a bit to electric.  Will rearrange to a sensible order later.  Thanks for the comments and likely additions 🙂 

Honored Social Butterfly

McCartney has a longer intro version to Blackbird that’s really pretty. Why on earth George Martin didn’t use it on The White Album is beyond me. 🤔 It was eventually released on a single combined with Yesterday.

The others are all acoustic, but may not be the sound you’re looking for. Metal bands might use different types of guitars/strings for that heavier sound. Schenker/Scorpions often plays an acoustic Flying V. Don’t know since I’m not a guitarist. 🙀 

“When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.” - Jimi Hendrix
0 Kudos
Regular Social Butterfly

If you'd started at paragraph 2, it would have been okay; your indifference to the pain of this loss all these years later (seemingly to draw attention) is not only wrong but despicable as you champion musicians...

Please, please, please consider everyone at all times when using an event to forward your thoughts?

#StaySafe

#VegasStrong
Phil Harris, actor and showman, to John Fogerty of CCR: “If I’d known I’d live this long, I’d have taken better care of myself.”
0 Kudos
Conversationalist

I’m sorry that my post made you feel that way. It was not without some trepidation that I used this event as the topic to springboard my blog, well aware of the enormity of the tragedy. I found the topic as one of the “headlines” on thisdayinmusic.com. But we need to move beyond such tragedy, finding ways to heal, as Eric Clapton did through the writing of this song, lest we become bitter rather than better. I am not unfamiliar with tragedy and loss. My mother lost a husband and son at young age, as well as a breast. I lost my father, brother, almost lost my mom to cancer, and lost our first child through miscarriage. But music has always been part of the healing process, helping me to move on in life and love. See my previous posts of tributes to my mom, brother, and father on listentothemusic.com (go to playlist index and select themes) for more on this topic. Sorry again for my post upsetting you, as that was definitely not my intention.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

I remember when Claptons son died. So

devastating. No parent gets over that. On

a lighter note, I LUV this playlist! Actually

listening to it right now! So many 

great artists on there, I can’t even mention

a favorite. Always glad to see the Fab 4️⃣

and The Mac but I luv Van, Heart, Led Zep,

Pink Floyd, C,S,N&Y and all the others as

well! The best playlist so far!! 🎼💜

Bronze Conversationalist

Beginnings and Dialogue Pt 1 and 2 by Chicago are two of my favorites.

Conversationalist

Thanks.  Not sure how I missed "Beginnings" - just added it.  Dialogue Pt 1 & 2 sound a little to electrified to me, obviously not Hendrix, but a little less acoustic feel, so gonna hold on that one.  Love new ideas and songs 🙂 

Bronze Conversationalist

@WilliamS68311 

I stand corrected about Dialogue. The album version is electric. Saw an acoustic version at one of their concerts years ago and that stuck with me. Thanks William.

0 Kudos
Conversationalist

No worries, and I wasn't trying to "correct" you, just commenting though a great song, not quite acoustic enough an intro.  I always appreciate feedback and suggestions!

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP