Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Honored Social Butterfly

Aamerican Pie by Don McClean

I respectfully defy anyone to explain ALL the verses OR to deny you didn't have fun trying!

My favorites include "I went down to the sacred store where I'd heard the music years before" just because I remember when the record stores had little booths where you could go and listen to the record (usually a 45) before you bought it, so that's one I'm pretty sure I got right.

And "

But February made me shiver
With every paper I'd deliver
Bad news on the doorstep

I couldn't take one more step"

Really got to me because I'd seen Buddy Holly, the Big Bopper et al at their penultimate performance when I was 12, courtesy the kindness of a friend's big sister who took us both to the concert.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@Olderscout66   -  Actually, someone already has. It's one of the most interesting songs around, as McLean packed a lot into it. There are various references to music, musicians, places, people, events, you name it. So if you really want to know, here is the link that explains the song. I'm not going to give anything away as there may be some knowledgeable fans that want to take a shot at it. I can't comment much more than that because I had read this some time ago. Hope you enjoy the story.

https://www.songfacts.com/facts/don-mclean/american-pie

“When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.” - Jimi Hendrix
0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Bubble Shooter and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP