Science is honing in on better ways to treat chronic pain. Read about it in this AARP series.

Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: 2019 Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Nominees. Who gets your vote?

Message 11 of 26

Bryan Ferry and Roxy Music and Todd Rundgren have my vote. It is about time they BOTH made it into the RocknRoll Hall of Fame. Todd Rundgren has a HUGE following in Columbus, Ohio. I own everything both of these artist have recorded.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 26

My picks are Kraftwerk, Devo, Stevie Nicks, The Zombies and Todd Rundgren. None of the others I would consider because they either haven't been around as long as others who should have been in a long time ago (or aren't on the list), or they shouldn't be on the list, example: LL COOL J? What does he have to do with Rock & Roll?

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 26

I heartily agree. A lasting impression in our hearts and a continued presence on the airwaves for all those mentioned should result in nominations and eventual seats at the table. 

Kudos
Views
Super Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 26
TRUTH IS I'M NOT TOO EXCITED ABOUT ANYONE ON THIS LIST! BUT I'M NOT FULLY VERSED IN R& R HALL OF FAME CRITERIA, I ADMIT
SUPERGIRL, NO REALLY I MEAN IT! HER REAL NAME & MINE ARE THE SAME( FIRST 2 NAMES ARE)
Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 26

My picks are:

Def Leppard

The Cure

Kraftwerk

Roxy Music

Others that I'd like to see nominated:

Iron Maiden

Megadeth

Judas Priest

Alice in Chains

Soundgarden

Tool

Depeche Mode

Assume nothing. Question everything. And start thinking.
Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 26

The DOOBIE BROTHERS STILL NOT IN...THEY DESERVE IT!!!

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 26

@MaVolta wrote:

The initial inductees were great choices, do doubt about it, and many great choices followed. But somewhere along the way, they forgot some people who made rock, rock. Steppenwolf was one of those bands (and arguably many others, esp prog rock bands of the late 60's-early 70's).

As for the fans voting, I suspect that they are mostly millennials and younger, that wouldn't know John Kay from John Adams. To get fans to vote requires a following on social media that most of the older rock stars do not have. Steppenwolf have been eligible since 1992, but they weren't even nominated until 2017. According to Kay, they received around 110,000 fan votes. Kay was very gracious and thanked HoF for the nomination, and thanked his fans for voting, but went on to say that he's there for one reason and that's the Wolf Pack. 

And there's also the case for Deep Purple who were only inducted in 2016. By that time, Jon Lord, a founding and significant member of the band, had passed on some years earlier. Ian Gillan and Ritchie Blackmore were both outspoken critics, especially Blackmore. Blackmore didn't bother to attend, and it wasn't because of Gillan as media liked to suggest. 

I would only suggest that if this were a peer-based HoF, the make up would be quite different. 

All good points!  

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 26

The initial inductees were great choices, do doubt about it, and many great choices followed. But somewhere along the way, they forgot some people who made rock, rock. Steppenwolf was one of those bands (and arguably many others, esp prog rock bands of the late 60's-early 70's).

As for the fans voting, I suspect that they are mostly millennials and younger, that wouldn't know John Kay from John Adams. To get fans to vote requires a following on social media that most of the older rock stars do not have. Steppenwolf have been eligible since 1992, but they weren't even nominated until 2017. According to Kay, they received around 110,000 fan votes. Kay was very gracious and thanked HoF for the nomination, and thanked his fans for voting, but went on to say that he's there for one reason and that's the Wolf Pack. 

And there's also the case for Deep Purple who were only inducted in 2016. By that time, Jon Lord, a founding and significant member of the band, had passed on some years earlier. Ian Gillan and Ritchie Blackmore were both outspoken critics, especially Blackmore. Blackmore didn't bother to attend, and it wasn't because of Gillan as media liked to suggest. 

I would only suggest that if this were a peer-based HoF, the make up would be quite different. 

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 19 of 26

duplicate post 

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 20 of 26

No matter what your personal feelings are, there are many many legends of rock and roll inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame ...  and while you may not agree with the choices, just remember that they all have fans andthe fans vote.

Here is a link for the current members

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Rock_and_Roll_Hall_of_Fame_inductees

Take a look at the talent in the first year and read the qualifications.. 

Chuck Berry Keith Richards[N2]
1986James Brown performing in Hamburg, Germany, February 1973James Brown Steve Winwood[N2]
1986Ray Charles at rehearsals for his performance of "Eleanor Rigby" at the 32nd Annual Grammy Awards, 1990Ray Charles Quincy Jones[N2]
1986Cooke in a recording studio, 1961Sam Cooke Herb Alpert[N2]
1986Fats Domino performing live in New YorkFats Domino Billy Joel[N2]
1986Phil (left) and Don (right) Everly in 1958The Everly BrothersDon Everly and Phil Everly.[12]Neil Young[N2]
1986Buddy Holly in 1957Buddy Holly John Fogerty[N2]
1986Lewis performing in Memphis, April 2011Jerry Lee Lewis Hank Williams Jr.
1986Little Richard in 1967Little Richard Roberta Flack
1986Presley in a publicity photograph for the 1957 film Jailhouse RockElvis Presley Julian and Sean Lennon
Kudos
Views