Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

2019 Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Nominees. Who gets your vote?

Honored Social Butterfly

2019 Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Nominees. Who gets your vote?

meh.....

THE ROCK & ROLL HALL OF FAME

ANNOUNCES NOMINEES FOR 2019 INDUCTION

Fans Can Cast Their Vote for Inductees at Rockhall.com/vote or In Person at the Museum in Cleveland

CLEVELAND (October 9, 2018) โ€” The Nominees for induction into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame in 2019 are:

Def Leppard
Devo
Janet Jackson
John Prine
Kraftwerk
LL Cool J
MC5
Radiohead
Rage Against the Machine
Roxy Music
Rufus featuring Chaka Khan
Stevie Nicks
The Cure
The Zombies
Todd Rundgren

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Contributor

Stevie Nicks

0 Kudos
Contributor

Rufus featuring Chaka Khan
Stevie Nicks
The Cure
The Zombies
Todd Rundgren
0 Kudos

JOHN PRINE
0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

I wish to nomonate Ambrose O'Lippe. He played the guitar for a number of bands over the decades, and released a solo album that nearly sold 

He will be part of my vote for sure!

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

Hereโ€™s my vote for hall of fame  Evelyn Champagne King and pattie Levell and Tina Tuner 

0 Kudos
Conversationalist

Overlooked Connie Francis still not in!  What is the issue? My brother says she is not really rock and roll but there are a number of artists that would not be considered rock and roll artists in the Hall of Fame.

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Bryan Ferry and Roxy Music and Todd Rundgren have my vote. It is about time they BOTH made it into the RocknRoll Hall of Fame. Todd Rundgren has a HUGE following in Columbus, Ohio. I own everything both of these artist have recorded.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

My picks are Kraftwerk, Devo, Stevie Nicks, The Zombies and Todd Rundgren. None of the others I would consider because they either haven't been around as long as others who should have been in a long time ago (or aren't on the list), or they shouldn't be on the list, example: LL COOL J? What does he have to do with Rock & Roll?

Silver Conversationalist

The DOOBIE BROTHERS STILL NOT IN...THEY DESERVE IT!!!

Honored Social Butterfly

The Zombies

Def Leppard

John Prine

Todd Rundgren

Devo (not really a fan of Devo, but I'd vote for them because they were really different at the time)

IMHO, the R&R HoF need to get their 'acts' together!! They have snubbed and completely ignored some of the best classic rock bands and influential artists that have been around since the 60's and 70's. Who gets nominated seems to be the opinion of a very few people who seem to have forgotten what rock really is; or was. Acts that are long overdue include (but far from limited to) - - -

Steppenwolf  (the group who gave us "heavy metal thunder" !!)

The Guess Who

Three Dog Night

Iron Maiden

Blind Faith / Derek & the Dominoes

Thin Lizzy

Tom Jones (what??? no Tom Jones????)

The Doobie Brothers

Blood Sweat & Tears

Carole King

Pat Benetar

Peter Paul & Mary

Neil Sedeka

Tommy James & the Shondells

Barry White

Manfred Mann

Vanilla Fudge

Styx

. . . and the list could go on and on! Shame on the hall of fame!!

โ€œWhen the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.โ€ - Jimi Hendrix
Contributor

Judy Collins

0 Kudos

I heartily agree. A lasting impression in our hearts and a continued presence on the airwaves for all those mentioned should result in nominations and eventual seats at the table. 

Regular Social Butterfly

Don't really get how how this works. Seems like at this rate they might get caught up by the turn of the next century. 

Honored Social Butterfly

@millineutron - Here's Joe Walsh . . . someone recently asked him about it and this was his answer:

As with most things this days, there is money involved. IMO, it is no longer the R&R HoF because it is no longer honoring R&R. More correctly, it is a Music "we like" Hall of Fame.

Some of those ignored have been asked, and most say that they really don't give a hoot!! They were in it for pleasing the fans, not a bunch of corporatists. For similar reasons, many of them went sour with their management and record labels. Or like the Joe Walsh example, some artists were not that well known, but they were very well known to the musicians in the bands. But still, there are ardent and adoring Heart rock fans (like me) who want to see their bands/artists honored.

โ€œWhen the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.โ€ - Jimi Hendrix

Very well put and truthful. The Rock & Roll Hall of Fame is pretty much seen as a joke to most performers & fans of rock. The "vote" actually plays very little in the nominees and who actually gets in. But like most things, the general public will eat what you feed them and ignore the obviousness of things like what you wrote about the current Rock & Roll HOF. Sad people do not knwo any better abotu this and a wide variety of things.

0 Kudos
Regular Social Butterfly

Makes sense. Now that the Internet & streaming music sites have pretty much turned the music industry upside down, there should be a People's Rock & Roll Hall of Fame. 

I remember Joe Walsh from the James Gang, pre-Eagles!

Honored Social Butterfly

duplicate post 

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

No matter what your personal feelings are, there are many many legends of rock and roll inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame ...  and while you may not agree with the choices, just remember that they all have fans andthe fans vote.

Here is a link for the current members

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Rock_and_Roll_Hall_of_Fame_inductees

Take a look at the talent in the first year and read the qualifications.. 

Chuck Berry Keith Richards[N2]
1986James Brown performing in Hamburg, Germany, February 1973James Brown Steve Winwood[N2]
1986Ray Charles at rehearsals for his performance of "Eleanor Rigby" at the 32nd Annual Grammy Awards, 1990Ray Charles Quincy Jones[N2]
1986Cooke in a recording studio, 1961Sam Cooke Herb Alpert[N2]
1986Fats Domino performing live in New YorkFats Domino Billy Joel[N2]
1986Phil (left) and Don (right) Everly in 1958The Everly BrothersDon Everly and Phil Everly.[12]Neil Young[N2]
1986Buddy Holly in 1957Buddy Holly John Fogerty[N2]
1986Lewis performing in Memphis, April 2011Jerry Lee Lewis Hank Williams Jr.
1986Little Richard in 1967Little Richard Roberta Flack
1986Presley in a publicity photograph for the 1957 film Jailhouse RockElvis Presley Julian and Sean Lennon
Honored Social Butterfly

The initial inductees were great choices, do doubt about it, and many great choices followed. But somewhere along the way, they forgot some people who made rock, rock. Steppenwolf was one of those bands (and arguably many others, esp prog rock bands of the late 60's-early 70's).

As for the fans voting, I suspect that they are mostly millennials and younger, that wouldn't know John Kay from John Adams. To get fans to vote requires a following on social media that most of the older rock stars do not have. Steppenwolf have been eligible since 1992, but they weren't even nominated until 2017. According to Kay, they received around 110,000 fan votes. Kay was very gracious and thanked HoF for the nomination, and thanked his fans for voting, but went on to say that he's there for one reason and that's the Wolf Pack. 

And there's also the case for Deep Purple who were only inducted in 2016. By that time, Jon Lord, a founding and significant member of the band, had passed on some years earlier. Ian Gillan and Ritchie Blackmore were both outspoken critics, especially Blackmore. Blackmore didn't bother to attend, and it wasn't because of Gillan as media liked to suggest. 

I would only suggest that if this were a peer-based HoF, the make up would be quite different. 

Honored Social Butterfly

@MaVolta wrote:

The initial inductees were great choices, do doubt about it, and many great choices followed. But somewhere along the way, they forgot some people who made rock, rock. Steppenwolf was one of those bands (and arguably many others, esp prog rock bands of the late 60's-early 70's).

As for the fans voting, I suspect that they are mostly millennials and younger, that wouldn't know John Kay from John Adams. To get fans to vote requires a following on social media that most of the older rock stars do not have. Steppenwolf have been eligible since 1992, but they weren't even nominated until 2017. According to Kay, they received around 110,000 fan votes. Kay was very gracious and thanked HoF for the nomination, and thanked his fans for voting, but went on to say that he's there for one reason and that's the Wolf Pack. 

And there's also the case for Deep Purple who were only inducted in 2016. By that time, Jon Lord, a founding and significant member of the band, had passed on some years earlier. Ian Gillan and Ritchie Blackmore were both outspoken critics, especially Blackmore. Blackmore didn't bother to attend, and it wasn't because of Gillan as media liked to suggest. 

I would only suggest that if this were a peer-based HoF, the make up would be quite different. 

All good points!  

Honored Social Butterfly

@nyadrn wrote:

meh.....

THE ROCK & ROLL HALL OF FAME

ANNOUNCES NOMINEES FOR 2019 INDUCTION

Fans Can Cast Their Vote for Inductees at Rockhall.com/vote or In Person at the Museum in Cleveland

CLEVELAND (October 9, 2018) โ€” The Nominees for induction into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame in 2019 are:

mine me at first glance.  

Def Leppard
Devo
Janet Jackson
John Prine
Radiohead
Roxy Music
Todd Rundgren

Contributor

Ricky Nelson and Fats Domino
Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
Contributor

Janet Jackson

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

TRUTH IS I'M NOT TOO EXCITED ABOUT ANYONE ON THIS LIST! BUT I'M NOT FULLY VERSED IN R& R HALL OF FAME CRITERIA, I ADMIT
SUPERGIRL, NO REALLY I MEAN IT! HER REAL NAME & MINE ARE THE SAME( FIRST 2 NAMES ARE)
Social Butterfly

My picks are:

Def Leppard

The Cure

Kraftwerk

Roxy Music

Others that I'd like to see nominated:

Iron Maiden

Megadeth

Judas Priest

Alice in Chains

Soundgarden

Tool

Depeche Mode

Regular Contributor

Kraftwerk ๐Ÿ‘
0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroidsยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP