AARP and the photographers of Magnum Photos look at older people living in new ways around the world in A New Age.

Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: There is no legitimate reason for our points not to be grandfathered in to the new program

Message 1 of 11

While you are all here bemoaning the loss of your extraordinary bundle of points, maybe you could explain to all the newer people in the program what it was you were hoping to do with all those points.  The bulk of us newbies are really wondering what you could have been saving them for.  Were there some really great prizes that were supposed to be one available in the future that we newbies were not aware of?

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: There is no legitimate reason for our points not to be grandfathered in to the new program

Message 2 of 11

I, too, agree!  I have accumulated 168,000 points and have no idea how to use them!  Extremely frustrating.  I will not be participating in the next program.  Is there a charity that these points can be donated to?

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 11

I agree 100% with daisy10108. After accumulating points now to be told they will not transfer is ridiculous. I will not be participating in any future programs.

Dee 

Kudos
Views
Regular Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 11

@daisy10178 

Hello Daisy,

They say in new program you can use points or cash.  How is that different?  More points for $5 gift cards or more cash period?  This will be interestingSmiley LOL

Have a Blessed Day,

Marylin

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 11

There is nothing difficult about the transition. It is wrong, unjust, and taking advantage of members. There is no justification for not transferring our points to the new program other than greed on the part of AARP. Shame on you.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 11

Yes my friend. There are many fish to fry in this collosally unjust capitalist society. I at age 18 went off to Strony Brook University in the fall of '67. The Vietnam War was raging , the cities were burning in anti-racist rebellions, and neighbors of mine were coming home in body bags from that war. I had been a patriot, but I startedinvestigating the reality behind that war, and I learned the ugly truth of Wasll Street's tentacles in the government. That led to be metamorphosis into a working class fighter. My dad was a sheetmetal worker in Local 28 in New York. His sister was a lifelong member of the Communist Party from the  Great Depression in the 30's through the McCarthy era until her death in the late 70's. My dad never joined as he noticed privilege and some corruption in the party leadership.They grew up in the south Bronx when it was a poor Russian-Jewish ghetto in the fisrt half of the 20th century. Dad worked in the Brooklyn Navy Yard at the beginning of WWII and was later drafted into the Navy. After he was discharged in 1946 he wentr back their and finished his apprenticeship program in Local 28 which was lily white. In 1947 he and 3 other Russian-Jewish comrades started a successful campaign to force the integration of the apprenticeship program at the Navy Yard. There was no civil rigts law but Harry Truman was forced by the communist led UAW leadership to issue an executive order banning discrimination in federal facilities as he was running for reelection (Harry had been a KKK member in his youth).  My dad was the mentor to Howard Zinn , who later wrote the Peoples History of the United States and the little book that stoked myanti-war fervor: Vietnam, the Logic of Withdrawal. So I became one of the three main leaders of the massmovment on the campus. I got arrested a multitude of time for organizing building occupations and then for seizing control of the maniframe computers on campus in 1970 along with a mass violent rebellion before the campus strike movement over Nixon's invasion of Cambodia when Suffolk County police came on the campus for marijuana busts to divert attention away from the political struggle. Spent 7 months in the Suffolk County jail for those two events. Earlier in 1969 I had joined the Progressive Labor Party with two other SDS leaders. We eventually recruited a total of 9 students into P.L.P. from Ston Brook. 5 of us are still members or very close to the organization 50 years later. I found out about the family skeletons after a few arrests I had from campus activity. My dad and mom had been silent about this stuff because of fear during the McCarthy era. 

After graduating Stony Brook in 1972 I managed ro eventually go towork in the hospitals as a diagnostic medical sonographer (ultrasound tech). I particpated in may sitins  at management offices and also organized an illegal slowdown that stopped my department managers plan to cut our lunch hour dead in its tracks. I developed a network of co-workers who read and helped distribute 20 copies of our party's press, Challenge-Desafio, each issue. I also collected contributions for our cause. This was noit a singular feat, but a collective effort. After retirement 6 years ago I did 2 main activities. I took part in a mass movement to stop hospital closings and cutbacks in Brooklyn in mainly communities of color. I was arrested 5 years ago for my participation in protests outside of State University off NY Hospital (Downstate Medical Center) aftert they had had a wave of layoffs and cutbacks in vital services to a mainly Black community. It was an act of intimidation. I only played a peripheral role in the struggle, but Governor Cuomo wanted to send a chill down the Downstate workers spine and claim I was an outside agitator, Hundreds of workers atDownstate, Woodhull, and Methodist Hospital signed petitions demanding the bogus charges against me be dropped. Many attended a series of court hearings to show support and eventually the charges were dropped. I have also participated in mass demonstrations in Brooklyn that Progressive Labor Party organized against racist police terror. Four unarmed Black youth were murdered by the NYPD in Flatbush over the past 6 years. WE marched on the 70th precinct several times. They had denied permits to us to march, but because we were able to bring out hundreds through our multi-racial organzing anyway, they had to let us march. When people are determined in large numbers we can dictate our power. They were afraid of aghetto rebellion so tey backed down. See www.plp.org and you will see a wealth of information of the global struggle for emancipation of the working class. 

Ira M Wechsler
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 11

I agree.  AARP has devolved into just another pseudo-advocacy group that in only out to make money.  That's why they send "renewal" notices even if your AARP expiration in several years away.  They want to trick old people into thinking they have to renew.  They are no better than the scammers they claim to want to protect us from.  Points were just a way to make their corporate partners a lot of money anyway.  So I'm not realloy surprised at this totally unjustified move on AARP's part.  There is no reason the points couldn't just be transferred.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 11

A welcome bonus, that is window dressing. Stop insulting us with this utter non-sense. The fact that so many have sent me kudos for my message and others are starting to also speak out, inidicates I am not acting in isolation and my message rings true. Tell your freakin bosses that we want some corrective action here, not tokenism. You have awakened a sleeping giant here and you will NOT buy our silence with half measures. I have a lifetime of standing up to power with truth and hell or high water I wilkl not change my ways. We live in an unjust society and our class is awakening to the truth that we can NOT rely on those at the top to take our needs seriously.   Change will come from the bottom up. Yes we will turn the world upside down as old English working class song of resistance goes.

Ira M Wechsler
Kudos
Views
Community Manager
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 11

@os2wiz   We are really sorry that you feel this way.  We know the transition to AARP Rewards may be difficult for some participants who have accumulated large point balances, which is why we tripled the amont of time that was listed in our terms and conditions (30 days) to redeem the points you have earned before Rewards for Good evolves. 

We will be giving our legacy rewards for good users a welcome bonus when joining the new AARP Rewards.  

AARPTeri
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 11
I completely agree with Ira M Wechsler. I too have been collecting points for some time and thinks it's totally outrageous and short-sighted to take them away because you're establishing a new program. Shame on you who supposedly advocate for Seniors.
Vicki Warner
Kudos
Views