With an AARP membership, there’s always more to discover! Check out your member benefits.

Community Manager
Kudos
Views

Re: New auctions aren't fair

Message 1 of 6

@jc4911 and @es14589767

Thank you for your input regarding our Reward for Good program.  We have performed some research and can report that there has not been an AARP employee that has won an R4G auction since 2015, at which time they won while performing a quality test.  The experience with auctions was changed to help AARP deliver an industry best practice experience with our auctions.  We have begun to see the top bids coming down and they will continue to do so over the next several weeks as those who have the large point values spend down their points.  Please give it some time to level out.

AARPTeri
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Community Manager
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 6

@kr9635 @Imaginate57 @jc4911 @es14589767

Employees can participate in these, however they do not have any special privileges.  They don’t get extra points for this.  They have to earn points the same way all participants do.  The users that are bidding with the high points are not employees.  As participants win the auctions, they’re accounts are reviewed to ensure they’re not fraudulent.

As a reminder, the experience with auctions was changed to help AARP deliver an industry best practice experience with our auctions.  I believe you will see the top bids coming down over the next several weeks as those who have the large point values spend down their points.  Please give it some time to level out.

I also wanted to highlight a benefit of this new auction experience.  An auction bidder is now able to walk away from the computer and the system will continue to bid for them.  You don’t have to sit and hit the bid button over and over again.  They system automatically bids for the user up to their max bid.  The user also gets an email notification when their max bid has been outbid.

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with our Rewards for Good Auctions.

AARPTeri
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 6

Prior to the introduction of Max Bid Auctions, it was a pretty fair assumption that an auction merchandise item valued at $100 would be won by a bid of around 100,000 points or 1000 points per dollar.  With Max(Mad) Bid Auctions, we are now seeing ridiculous bids across the board. One current auction shows a $10 Walmart card with a bid over 220,000 points.  If this is what Max Bid is bringing to the playing field, Max Bid needs to go away.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker +
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 6

The Rewards for Good Auctions are managed, played and now almost-solely won by AARP employees. The changes benefit ONLY AARP employees, not the AARP members who pay for membership and buy AARP-branded products.  How can AARP continue to condone this unethical practice? 

(Rhetorical question since I never see any AARP responses, although this site must be monitored)

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 6
The new Auctions are crazy and I believe are designed for AARP employees who have thousands of points to win... Seriously look at the past winning points! When I participated I did not start bidding until 2 minutes before the auction ended.. Now things are bid up crazy high days before an auction ends which is insane,,

75,010 Points - $10 Whole Foods Gift Card
202,310 Points - $10 Walmart Gift Card
242,975 Points - $50 BP Gift Card

I
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views
Replies

New auctions aren't fair

Message 6 of 6

Now that AARP has changed the way the auctions work, it's impossible to win anything unless you have a ton of points. Go back to the old way please.

Kudos
Views
Replies