Refresh your driving skills with the AARP Smart Driver online course! Use promo code THANKS to save 25 percent.

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: UPDATE: Log out Troubles

Message 1 of 23

Yahooo! Smiley Happy

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Community Manager
Kudos
Views

Re: UPDATE: Log out Troubles

Message 2 of 23

You're welcome.  And thanks for sharing all that you did because it helped resolve the issue.

Sandy

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

UPDATE: Log out Troubles

Message 3 of 23

Thanks @VoyagerVicki and @sandy and the IT dept! I appears the log out problem has been fixed, as I have been able to log in and out some eight, nine times this morning without a single failure... and I didn't have to clear my cache, either. In fact, I tried to get a failure (by surfing for a couple hours) and could not. So yay! Smiley Happy

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Re: Log out Troubles

Message 4 of 23

Hi @ab1695   Thanks for the input! If I'm getting you correctly, you log off the R4G site first then log off the AARP site and that saves you from having to clear your cache in order to log off.

So here's what I did after reading your post. I earned my rewards points; used one of the R4G pages to navigate over here; went back to one of the R4G pages; logged off and got this error message.

r4g w_o clearing cache.png

So then I cleared my cache, reopened the 3 R4G pages, clicked through to this site on one of them, went back to the R4G site and logged off. This action logged me out of the AARP site as well.

As DH doesn't bother with R4G, and uses his own computer to surf AARP (though he's an infrequent visitor ... typically only coming onsite when I send him a link to a story and he never logs out), I don't have to worry about the different user log ins on this computer.  

So anyway, the second log out attempt worked this morning, but still had to clear my cache to accomplish that.

IT says it is a firewall issue. DH, a software testing architect, says it is a problem on their servers, and has nothing to do with my browser, but that my clearing my cache is a Band-Aid(r) (Smiley Happy) action that keeps me from hitting the AARP firewall bug ... temporarily. (As best he can understand the problem without looking at the code, anyway. Labeling it a firewall issue is a bit vague, says he.)

And so it goes... Smiley Happy

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 23

Don't know if this is useful or even aposite, but here's what I discovered since the redesign of the Rewards Catalog/r4g pages.

Since my husband and I have our own, individual accounts and often use the same computer to access and log in to the site, it becomes important to be able to log off and then log on as the other household user. This became more ifficult aftre the redesign (a redesign that appears to have mysteriously happen merely for the sake of having a new design, rather than for the sake of functionality.)

I dislike having to clear my history after every time I want to log on after my husband uses the account, I did some trial and error and have found that when I'm done with my session, I'm able to completely log off if I I logout in BOTH the r4g rewards catalog AND the main aarp.org page. I've found that I need to logoff on the r4g rewards catalog page BEFORE I do it on the main page.

Well, anyway, this works for me (and my handsome husband).

Good luck.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 23

@Epster wrote:

Same thing happened today. Cache cleared yesterday in order to log off, me offline after that, came here to earn my Monday Rewards points, clicked around a little bit, can't log off. (same error message as always)

Thanks @VoyagerVicki. Just reporting: same thing happened today. As I'm barely online these days, it seems odd that I need to clear my cookies/cache daily in order to log out of this site. I mean, my cache should be practically empty anyway, right?

Onward! Smiley Happy

Kudos
Views
Community Manager
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 23

Hi @Epster

Thanks so much for methodically recording your activity this weekend when you had problems logging out. We're sharing all of this info with the IT team to figure out how to resolve these issues, and we'll let you know what we find out.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 23

Same thing happened today. Cache cleared yesterday in order to log off, me offline after that, came here to earn my Monday Rewards points, clicked around a little bit, can't log off. (same error message as always)

Ugh.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 23

Hi @sandy  One day later... this...

8_19 error msg.png

So here's what happened in between being able to log out and not being able to log out:

I checked the weather report. I checked my email. I spent half an hour on Twitter peacefully agreeing to disagree with a handful of folks (none of whom called me names, in case anyone is keeping score Smiley Wink). Then I came over here to earn the Sunday Rewards points (which is to say: had a handful of R4G pages open at once; did a ton of clicking; used the back key a bunch; opened and closed a bunch of R4G pages) then surfed the AARP community, read a few posts, replied to a couple posts and couldn't log out.

BTB, I was off the computer most of the day (as in 80% of the day) and did next to no surfing after I'd cleared my cache in order to log out yesterday.

I'm going now to clear my one-day cache.

Hoping this report is helpful,

Epster

Tags (1)
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 23

Hi @sandy, as discussed via telephone, I'm reporting the error as it continues to occur.

This morning, after earning my Rewards for Good points, I came over to the AARP site, checked a few things as I do nearly every morning, saw a question posted by a newb, and while researching that got the following error. (This one's clearly not the same issue, but I'm reporting it in case they are related in some convoluted manner Smiley Happy)

R4G Old Navy gift card error 8_18.png

OK. I posted my reply to the newb and came over to the AARP site to log out. I got this error message:  

5_30AM 8_18_18.png

I still had a R4G page open, so I clicked over to that page to log out and got this error message:

5_34 Am 8_18_18 R4G.png

Alrightythen, I said, and came back to the AARP site to try again. My actions brought up this error message:

5_35 AM 8_18_18.png

Then I cleared my cache and was automagically logged out. And so far so good. Since I cleared my cache yesterday, and was offline for most of the day, I am beyond surprised at this. I think that requiring the user to clear his or her cache every day in order to log out of this site is, um, not the best of all possible methodologies. Just sayin. Smiley Happy

I know you and the rest of the team are working on this, and I am grateful.

Kudos
Views