From travel insurance to fraud protection, AARP has you covered. Take a closer look at your member benefits.

Community Manager
Kudos
Views

Re: In September, Rewards for Good is becoming AARP Rewards

Message 51 of 86

Hello, @RussellP197074, thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback and sharing your interest. In the new program, we will have tracking capabilities via email. Thanks for your participation!

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 52 of 86

@sandy  Can you please tell us when items will be added to the Rewards Catalog?  Thanks

Kudos
Views
Community Manager
Kudos
Views

Message 53 of 86

@venitaw729474 In the new AARP Rewards, there will be less focus on points and more emphasis on activities in the program.  When I stated that you wouldn't be using your points the same way, this is why.  The change in structure and how points can be used for redemption is why points will not carry over.

We understand your concerns around redeeming your points by September, which is why we are beefing up the catalog with more ways to redeem using points only. There are exciting sweepstakes scheduled with larger prizes and more opportunities for participants to win. Point's only Daily Deals quantities are also increasing. Watch out for special posts in this forum with tips on how to maximize using points including exclusive announcements that will be heard here first.

Sandy

AARP Online Community Team

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 54 of 86

@sandy wrote: "Your hard earned points don't carry over because you don't need your points in the same way with the new AARP Rewards. Today you have to have points to make a purchase. In the new you will be able to use points or cash. It's for this reason that points will not carry over."

@sandy, AARP's reasoning as stated by you above makes no sense to me. I find AARP's failure to convert old points to new points unfair and unreasonable. It feels more like AARP has found itself with a large unfunded obligation for the points in all the accounts and is choosing to absolve itself of that obligation by zeroing out the accounts. Sure, members are being encouraged to use the old points by the end of Summer, but you are asking retired people, many on fixed incomes, to find the cash needed to use their points for catalog items within two months. If would be more fair and reasonable for AARP to carryforward at least a portion of each members' hard-earned points. The approach that AARP is taking will likely alienate many of its Rewards members. 

Kudos
Views
Community Manager
Kudos
Views

Message 55 of 86

Hello, @J896552, good morning! You can continue earning as usual for now and redeem your points all summer. You may want to browse the Rewards Catalog for new rewards and prizes. It's not until the new program that you will have the option to use points only. Thanks for contributing to the discussion!

Kudos
Views
Community Manager
Kudos
Views

Message 56 of 86

Good morning, Marylin (@mi4090), thank you for taking the time to post in the AARP Online Community. To answer your question, "The new AARP Rewards uses points and cash, correct?" the answer is yes. The difference is, in the new program you will have the option to use points only. It's for this reason that points don't carry over. "Can you earn points with AARP Rewards?" You bet, the new program also will have its own system of earning points.

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 57 of 86

I am looking forward to finding out how the new system will work.  I just hope it doesn’t turn into some of the rewards programs I have dismissed in the past like the Verizon program.  The discounts for purchases were for items that were inflated in price so much, that everything I researched, I could find cheaper on Amazon, using my Prime membership.  If it weren’t for the constant issues with earning points, especially in calculators, I would think just using an expiration period for existing points would have been a better way to go.

Will you still be using the same distribution company that never seems to be able to send tracking information via emai, so you know when a signature required item is coming?

Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 58 of 86

@J896552  I looked as well.  Didn't see anything other than the usual merchandise for sale that requires points along with money and the local deals.  Used a couple of them before but the people working in the restaurant/store weren't familiar with them.  Management ended up approving it but that was kind of embarrassing and I decided no more local deals.  (I don't mean the great discount at Carrabras/Bonefish/Outback...no problem using that but that's a card discount, not R4G.)

I speculated some time ago that nothing lasts forever.  Now I wish I'd used all the points rather than a lot of them......but at least I received good value, especially before the "new improved" bidding system  ruined the fun of being persistent on quick deals.  Never could compete on anything big but I imagine I got my share considering how many members there are.  

I hope the new program is something better than the merchandise/gift card market currently on the site.   Those items and cards can be purchased elsewhere, usually more frugally using sales, warehouse club deals and coupons.  The poster that speculated on sweepstakes is no doubt right and the auctions have gone up way beyond my original estimates.  Not sure I can get a $5 card with every point I have!

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 59 of 86

Thank you but let those who need to know, a joining bonus of anything less than all of the points that I worked hard to collect will be too little... 

I wont be participating at all. I suspect I wont be alone either. If I had to guess, many of us will be joining other associations instead.

But thank you, for your reply. Smiley Happy

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker +
Kudos
Views

Message 60 of 86

In your email "Important Program Announcement" today, you said:   "We're stocking up the Rewards for Good catalog with hundreds of new rewards and prizes so you'll have plenty to choose from before the program ends."

Since you have given very little notice to us and time is short, when are you going to show the hundreds of new rewards and prizes?  I looked at Auctions.  Nothing has changed there except some people are bidding higher points knowing that their points are going to be worthless shortly.

If you really are going to show new rewards and prizes, please make them points only.

I think AARP could have handled this program closure much better.  Why not close it out at the end of the year?  

Kudos
Views