AARP and the photographers of Magnum Photos look at older people living in new ways around the world in A New Age.

Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: In September, Rewards for Good is becoming AARP Rewards

Message 21 of 86

@t154747s 

You are right.   Rewards for Good was a bonus.   The reason I belong is to be part of advocacy for seniors.   Many depend on Social Security and Medicare to exist and AARP is there to defend them when some wish to eliminate "entitlements".  

Points are nothing compared to these earned benefits although we have worked hours and hours over the years to earn them.and I understand the frustration here.   

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 22 of 86

Well, I have nearly 300,000 points and if these points are 1 cent each then someone owes me $3,000. Its not just the points, it was the time spent answering those questions and saving for the holidays - working at it. Then someone comes along and takes your hard work and trashes it. I have a bit more respect for my time than saying nothing to them. The other person said it right - points should easily convert unless they needed to remove a liability on their books.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 23 of 86

That's apparently mega plural on the guys there my friend and well deserved too.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 24 of 86

I hate losing the points as much as anyone, but are guys really going to quite AARP over it? That seems drastic for some pretty worthless points.  For me the beneft of AARP is more the discounts (more than pays for the card just eating at Denny's) and other benefits.  I think the points are fun, but not the main reason I use AARP.

I also enjoy the newsletter, magazine, and email updates.  

That said, I don't know why the couldn't come up with some equivalent exchange.  It wouldn't have to be one for one and it would be a nice gesture.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 25 of 86

Precisely. And that is why we joined AMAC already and will move forward with them.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 26 of 86

The argument that point restructuring necessitates forfeiture is so much BS.

Points are valued at a penny today just translate them into a penny in the new system.

What this is really about is eliminating a liability on the books at the expense of members, which obviously shows very little respect for the latter.

AMAC

AMAC

AMAC

AMAC

AMAC

AMAC

AMAC

AMAC

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 27 of 86

BINGO! Could not have said that better myself. My guess is they'll only see the truth when the revenue crashes after renewals dont happen. Smiley Happy

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 28 of 86

The deafness of AARP to the noise about this program change is amazing, and something for which the organization would chastise our government officials if they likewise ignored AARP's positions on retiree issues.  It is sad to learn how much of my time I wasted on the website accumulating points over the past few years.  The prior program change that allowed pre-set max bid amounts guaranteed that auction "prices" would explode, forcing participants to help AARP shed its points obligations quckly.  Well, it looks like they found an even more efficient way to accomplish that objective; just arbitrarily cancel everyone's points altogether.  I won't be playing the new game.  Fool me once...

Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 29 of 86

@AARPTeri   Thanks, I appreciate the reply.  The low price guarantee is nice but why go through the hassle of trying to get it when one can just purchase the item elsewhere?  

Also a suggestion:  It would be great to see some Walmart and Amazon gift cards added to the Rewards Catalog.  Even at 10% off, it would have some value.

Kudos
Views
Community Manager
Kudos
Views

Message 30 of 86

@k380494p   

The Rewards for Good catalog offers Guaranteed Lowest Prices. We know that prices online fluctuate often, that’s why we check against all the major retailers and travel sites like Amazon, Travelocity, Target and more. If you purchase an item in the catalog and ever find a lower qualifying price online, we will give you back your points and refund the difference.

Find out more: https://rewards.aarp.org/#/lowpriceguarantee

AARPTeri
Kudos
Views