AARP and the photographers of Magnum Photos look at older people living in new ways around the world in A New Age.

Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: In September, Rewards for Good is becoming AARP Rewards

Message 11 of 86

As a relative latecomer to R4G, I can understand why old timers are resentful of losing their points.  However, after seeing the amazing number of points some people have to use in auctions, it leads me to believe that it had to be a lot easier to gain more points in the past, per unit of time, than it has been since I joined.  Therefore it was more than advantageous to be in it longer to gain points for the different rewards than we could ever get.  Fortunately, I could be in it to get the discount Carnival Cards, which has saved me hundreds of dollars in cruise fees over the last year that I have been involved.  Now, if I could just get lucky and win a Sweepstakes before it ends I would be content.  I have been able to save a few bucks winning some daily deal $5 cards, too.

I am looking forward to the new program and hope that there is something for everyone to take advantage of.  

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Super Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 86

Hello all

@HokiePoq  @k380494p 

@t154747s 

I agree with your comments

We are not disrespecting anyone by stating how much we've benefited & enjoyed our AARP membership 

No its not great losing our points but R4G program was indeed a Bonus to my membership I only discovered & got heavily involved in last few years & been AARP member for 11 years which has blessed me with many savings and loads of knowledge don't believe I'd found anywhere else because AARP is dedicated and does loads of great things for Seniors 

Yes I feel they could've handled things better & think for most part they are trying to make things better

I've been witness to many crazy days on R4G site(things not working & freaky) and heard many complaints & issues with members about Auctions/ Daily Deals/ Difficulty with Earning Points.... all long b4 this new change come about. 

So hopefully there will not be so many troubles as we've seen in last few years. 

I have no idea what each of our "Legacy Rewards Package" will be but do feel if they basing on loyalty to R4G program & # of points and length of membership & such I personally feel that's a fair way to do it....Certainly someone who has been member and active on community for 10 years has earned right to get more than someone who joined a year ago.... think most things jobs & teams and all are based on this type of principles Plus awareness they don't have to give us anything but choose to reward us starting up. Smiley Happy 

Yes Change is difficult & hard to swallow at times but life is about change 

Like Hokie and others stated my membership is not based on R4G site its based on AARP....R4G came as a benefit & I'd never known about program without having AARP membership 

I'm grateful for all the items I've gotten in my time with R4G & I do have fear program will go the way of Coca-cola Rewards & other loyalty programs if so I'll not be involved with it much but my membership will continue because its what got me here in 1st place

We all have right to be upset and feel what we feel but for me to allow any anger & disappointment I feel to rob myself of the many things [ Donations for Seniors/ Magazines/Bulletin/ News/Benefits/Games/ Senior Knowledge/ Quizzes/ This Community & more] would be a real loss to me. 

I'm hoping for the best & time will tell the reality of the New "AARP Rewards" program.... until plan to try and make best out of situation been given & make my monthly Donation of points to AARP Foundation while can .... cause it was my choice to participate in the R4G program no one forced me & I've certainly benefited in many ways with acceptance that I spent my time here learning & connecting & few nice deals .... and if lose it all in end and new program don't meet my desires I'll just be grateful for what had while had it 

Thanks to all who make this community great and we're not alone we have each other to get through this bumpy process together and make it to the other side..... kinda like we're off to see the wizard to discover what's beyond the yellow brick road & hopefully we'll all be magically surprised & given just what we need. 

Enjoy your week 

Ginger  :  ) 

Smiley Happy Smile & the world Smiles with you Smiley Wink Pass one on....its free
Tags (1)
Kudos
Views
Regular Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 86

@dthornton 

Hello DThornton,

Absolutely right, what was the reward with the program?  I know it was informational with the quizzes, but where's the reward.  The points are worthless which is evident by how much they are valued at when donating them to the Foundation.  2,000 points = $20.00.

BURP Rewards, that's a good oneSmiley LOL

Have a Blessed Day,

Marylin

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 86

Rewards for Good? Lol! How about Rewards for as long as AARP feels like it? Perhaps they should name the new program BURP Rewards cause it'll probably last as long as one!

Kudos
Views
Regular Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 86

@FordMan2 I've gone to AMAC website and like what I see.  Joining too!

AARP is offering 2 year memberships on Facebook for $20.00Smiley LOL

Have a Blessed Day,

Marylin

Tags (1)
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 86
I just joined AMAC yesterday!!! The heck with AARP if they're going to treat us this way. Please join me at AMAC!!
Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 86

@dthornton  I in NO WAY fail to respect all the time and effort members with points have left.   I am the one that made a statement about advocacy and I stand by it.   I had 200K points to spend down myelf.   I too have spent hours upon hours on a daily basis earning those and many more before. Others have had way more points than either you or I.

Some months ago there was a discussion here about loyalty programs and how they come and go.  After that I starfted spending down as best I could as one could see a constant downgrade in ways to earn points over the last months.     I also posted how I was able to use those points so that others could get something for their points as well.   

I am not happy either about R4G but realize it is not the purpose of the organization.   I think AARP could have handled the situation a lot better, giving more information about the new program before ditching the old. I don't blame you or anyone for being unhappy about this....but to say I have no respect is just plain false.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 86

Having looked for ways to spend down my 198k points, I noticed that auctions for items valued at much less than the bid points were going for a million points or more, which means there are others who are losing over five times my earned points. Dirty!

Those who say they're in AARP for the lobbying and educational benefits fail to respect those whose expectations were raised at being able to use their points toward items offered by AARP. As far as I know, no one forced AARP to offer them, and as far as I know, no one is forcing them to cancel them.

To me, it represents a failure of trust.

I can only guess that AARP is having financial challenges that necessitate writing off liabilities like Rewards for Good.

Kudos
Views
Regular Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 19 of 86

Hello @rg25177672 

RG I would like to carry my hard earned points over since we will still be using and earning points in AARP Rewards.  A point is a point, old or newSmiley LOL  It isn't right, "double talk" and everyone will not start out on the same level with the new program.  A lot of reasons to look at AARP twice before renewing.

Have a Blessed Day,

Marylin

Tags (1)
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 20 of 86

The following answer is double talk without giving an answer. I will not participate in any new progrm and may not renew AARP membership.What is the point in accumulating points only to have then removed on a whim,"NEW PROGRAM": by AARP? :  

Why don’t my Rewards for Good points carry over to AARP Rewards?

We are updating the program which will include a new point earning and redeeming structure. This means Rewards for Good points will not carry over. You will be able to continue to earn points for completing activities in AARP Rewards, but there will be less focus on points and more focus on activities.

Kudos
Views