Take control of your brain health with Staying Sharp! Try it today.

Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: High Bids in Auctions

Message 31 of 39

This is the problem I speak of, and when do people quit putting in large bids if the can win with a quarter of the points. I tried to place a lower bid right before auction ended and it failed as a strategy.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 32 of 39

Yes, Epster,

By acting accordingly, I do refer to bidding based on value, not on whim, perceived lack of value in the points, one-upmanship, or whatever other reason a person would have for bidding away so many hard-earned points on items of little value, hundreds or even thousands of dollars worth of points for items worth only a small fraction of those points.
I've noticed that the smallest auctions have a tendency to bring out the highest bids by ratio. Some of this might have something to do with limited points from the bidders, and therefore, fewer bidders to force the bidding higher on big-ticket items.

The bidding in general seems to be coming down over time. We seem to have fewer bidders willing (or able?) to make the lofty bids. Maybe the auction frenzy is cooling a bit.
I still predict that the bidding will exceed value in nearly every case for the life of the RFG auctions.

smaller the item

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 33 of 39

I noticed that on LIVE auction bids, my account does not show the "instant" bids that seem to pop up at who knows what time. Yet, when I watch a current LIVE bid that ends and I go to the CLOSED auctions, I discover TWO other auctions that also ended at the same time, that were not available to me. What gives? I'm apparently locked out of bidding for these "pop-up auctions". I have 146,000 points. Does this mean only members with certain "tiers" of points can bid on items? 

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 34 of 39

@Brightpool  How would you have us (I'm reader number 42) act accordingly? I presume you mean by not bidding? I don't. Never have. I now have 1,038,000 rewards points.

Smiley Happy

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 35 of 39

I, too, am concerned about the high number of points being bid for auction items. Too many put little value on the points, even though the points have a demonstrated value in trade of 1 cent each.
Before retiring, how many of us made more than $30 an hour? From my time spent on exercises in RFG, I figure my points are growing by an average of about 2,000 or so per hour spent doing exercises. At a penny apiece (which isn't a true monetary value, except in trade toward some RFG offerings), that translates to $20 an hour.

When I go shopping, I don't look for items that are marked up X number of times; I look for bargains on items that are marked down.
I certainly don't walk into Walmart and tell them I'll gladly pay $1,400.01 for one of their $5 gift cards (December 9, 2017, winning bid 140,001, about 280 times face value) or worse, walk into Home Depot and offer them $1,558.51 for one of their $5 gift cards (September 30, 2017, winning bid 155,851, more than 310 times face value).

Nobody is forcing those people to bid that high, either. That's the unfathomable part in my mind.
It took me over 4 years to accumulate 700,000+ points, while earning points(+) and entering sweepstakes(-), buying Daily Deals(-), and buying gift cards(-) and such along the way.

If I ignore the hours spent and just look at the calendar time, that's only about $1,750 worth of accumulated points per year. I don't want to spend nearly a year's accumulated points on a $5 gift card. Including in retirement, my time is vastly more valuable than that, even if I am learning new things on RFG quizzes and such.
Since I expect fewer than 50 people will ever read this, some of whom might agree and act accordingly, I don't expect the auction bidding practice to change anytime soon.

Enjoy!

Tags (1)
Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

rewards

Message 36 of 39

I saw under upcoming auctions many visa gift cards in a row, will this be what is given now?

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 37 of 39

The max you can earn a day is 5,000 points.  You would have to log on 180 days and complete the max pts  to get 800,000 pts. This would be 5 1/2 months if you logged on everyday  

The question is how to get 5000 points everyday?  it's very difficult which leads many to believe there is some kind of fraud.  Some people just save their points for a few years

If you are an AARP members you can get the following from the quizzes:

75 points daily to just log on to site.

180 points for daily quizzes.

approx 555 points for weekly quizzes.

approx 4000 points on monthly quizzes.

Occasionally a new quiz will pop up.  Generally every other month, maybe 450 pts more sometimes newsletters for 1500 pts.

At this point you can see that by mid month you will have to start on the yearly quizzes: 

approx points 31,000 on yearly quizzes

After the first month you will have gone through all the yearly quizzes and can do the 1x quizzes.

approx 50,000 points on 1x quizzes

After the second month you will be through with the 1x quizzes.

So now it will take much longer than 5 1/3 months.  More like a year or two.

1,000 pt certificate when you buy a gift card mailed to you.

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 38 of 39

It seems someone would need to do the yearly quiz ten years and all the others as often as possible to accumulate 700,000 points. That is just a guess, I have not done the math, but it does seem out of reach. I got to 30,000 after two years and won a $5 card in auction. A lot of time spent at it.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views
Replies

High Bids in Auctions

Message 39 of 39

Why is it that anytime something good is being auctioned such as $500 gift card, IPad, etc the bids go really high.  I have been saving up my points for over two years and I no where near the 900+.  If you look at past auctions you will see really high bids.  Something is not right.  I saw some post several months ago that lead me to believe these high numbers were about over.  yeah right.

Kudos
Views
Replies