Take a look at aging around the world in 'A New Age,' a special report by AARP and Magnum Photos.

Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Bidding on Valuable Items

Message 11 of 18

@nctarheel  I see what you mean about the local coupons.  I have used one or two over the years.  The people who work at the busineses are not familiar with them, but did honor them locally for me.  I don't bother with those.   The restaurant discount that I do use fairly often is the one good at Carrabras, Bonefish Grill, and Outback.   When I don't have a better offer that about covers the tip.   They do only honor one discount at a time. You just show your AARP card for that and it is not linked to points being used.  The wait staff knows about AARP discount at those locations in our area.

You had a very lucky occurrence to get points without entering them.   Most of us who post here have been doing quizzes, emails, and anything else posted here every single day for years.   I might have had that many points had I never used any of them....but I do use them whenever I get a chance to get something that's not outrageously costly in points.  Those chances are fewer and further between with the new bidding system.   Persistence in watching the site as I used to do no longer matters as the quick deals disappeared.   Occasionally I get a daily deal and use points that way.  More often I do not get it, but I figure with so many users getting it every now and then is probably good.  

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Regular Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 18

@nctarheel 

I'm assuming that you accumulated these 150,000 points over 9 years with Email promos only?

I know what you mean about fast foods places, those are the majority of the coupons in Southeastern part of the country.  I don't eat at those places and fine dining establishments don't take AARP.  Go to the website Restaurants.com, used them frequently in the past.  

I joined for the rental car discounts, but that wasn't a good deal.  Barely any discount at all; I became a member for most of the rental car agencies which afforded better discounts and specials.

The movie discounts/tickets you see in the TV ad are nonexistent in the South; no movie in my city or the bordering (2) states have these theaters and you can't use your AARP card at theaters in the South because they're not honored.

The golf course coupon is absolutely ridicilousSmiley Mad AARP is up 24/7 thinking of ways to cheat seniors out of money and pointsSmiley Sad

It's very hard to obtain 850,000+ points through R4G with them deleting daily, weekly, monthly & yearly task.  They are constantly removing quizzes, tools, calculators and hiding things from members that can earn points.  The magazine is interesting.

Have a Blessed Day!

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 18

@HokiePoq wrote:

Not sure how it's a sham, though. 

See my response to @mi4090.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 18

@mi4090 wrote:

@nctarheel 

Good Morning,

For about (2) years I didn't perform any activities and I was automatically given 150 email promo points every 2 days and sometimes twice a day and didn't accumulate even 60,000 pts in a year.  

How many years did it take you to accumulate your points?  Daily login only for a year will only get you 27,375 pts.

I'm curious, because so many point earning activities are gone.

Thanks for replying in advanceSmiley Happy.

I only have 150,000, @mi4090. That has accumulated over 9 years.

The only interest I have is in restaurant discounts and this program is chock full of discounts for restaurants with only one problem. With this program, you have to spend points to get the discounts.

Almost every restaurant already gives the same discounts through other sources that cost you NOTHING. Many of the restaurants are multiple locations of fast food joints. Several restaurants I visited, told me they didn't accept the coupon. Several were found to be out of business and a NEW BUSINESS already occupied the space (program not kept up to date).

The funniest coupon I saw was for a round of golf. That is back when I checked the coupons regularly and the coupon was appearing for the first time. Not only was the golf course OUT OF BUSINESS but the course had been out of business so long that weeds and such had overgrown the entire course. The owners of the course had been involved in criminal activity which appeared in the daily newspaper. I believe they were already in jail.......... and yet, here appeared a NEW coupon in the REWARDS FOR GOOD program for a golf game.

That is why I consider the program a scam.

Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 18

@nctarheel   Please tell us your secret for getting points without doing anything!  I do the annoying daily tasks plus log in and am now only getting 195 points per day, down 30 in the past week.   Weekly tasks have been reduced by 75 and give only about that now.  I do all the bonue 150s but have to enter each one individually...do news quizzes...everything I can find.   

Found a number of quizzes using the search that a kind poster posted but other than that, have had few opportunities.

Not sure how it's a sham, though.  I have bid and received a number of gift cards over the years, mostly back when there were quick ones that were only good for a short time.

Kudos
Views
Regular Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 18

@nctarheel 

Good Morning,

For about (2) years I didn't perform any activities and I was automatically given 150 email promo points every 2 days and sometimes twice a day and didn't accumulate even 60,000 pts in a year.  

How many years did it take you to accumulate your points?  Daily login only for a year will only get you 27,375 pts.

I'm curious, because so many point earning activities are gone.

Thanks for replying in advanceSmiley Happy.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 18

@mi4090 wrote:

Good Morning R4G Members,

I recently saw an Auction for a laptop computer with a High bid of over 850,000 points;  for a R4G member to bid on that item they would have to be earning points for many years and saving them only.

It's hard to believe that there are so many members that have accumulated over a million points.  

Thanks for your replies in advance!!

I certainly am not a supporter of R4G program as I think most of it is a sham; HOWEVER, I have accumulated over 150,000 points doing absolutely NOTHING.

If I have that many points by not even participating, I am sure one million points is not all that hard for those that participate daily.

Kudos
Views
Regular Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views
Replies

Bidding on Valuable Items

Message 18 of 18

Good Morning R4G Members,

I recently saw an Auction for a laptop computer with a High bid of over 850,000 points;  for a R4G member to bid on that item they would have to be earning points for many years and saving them only.  If you win a bid for something valuable it would be Once in a Lifetime!!

R4G is removing numerous Point Earning activities (Daily Recipe Search Tool - 30 Pts. Daily=10,950 Pts. Yearly) was removed this weekSmiley Sad

It's hard to believe that there are so many members that have accumulated over a million points.  

If you have over a million points please reply with how long it took for you to earn them!!

Thanks for your replies in advance!!

Kudos
Views
Replies