Rethink your job search with the AARP job board. Find opportunities for experienced workers today.

Super Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Bidding on Valuable Items

Message 1 of 18

@Brightpool 

You are most welcome Glad could help 

yes indeed you've been around a long time

I like to check folks out when make connections find out if have name or profile info & see topics they post on there are so many different topics & threads I've found some nice topics from going to profiles and clicking topics from there. 

No idea how many I have checked but through them all I'm the only one that has a profile story introduction I saw it in settings & figured all did it but very few I reckon since only seen that mine has one.

Enjoy your weekend! 

Ginger  ; ) 

Smiley Happy Smile & the world Smiles with you Smiley Wink Pass one on....its free
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 18

Thank you.
I finally found my on-line registration date about halfway down the page. I've been on R4G, earning a few points here and spending a few points there, since 2008.

Kudos
Views
Regular Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 18

@gm5271 

Thanks for that informationSmiley Happy

Kudos
Views
Super Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 18

@Brightpool FYI 

Attached is screenshot pic of info of your startup date which you or anyone can find by clicking on person's community name

Have a great one 

Ginger  ; ) 

Screenshot_20190427-005743_Samsung Internet.jpgYour registration date info

Smiley Happy Smile & the world Smiles with you Smiley Wink Pass one on....its free
Kudos
Views
Regular Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 18

@Brightpool 

Thanks so much for replyingSmiley Happy  As I stated in my post, it would take a member many, many years to obtain a million points.  I also told R4G Customer Service the same thing.

After winning a bid on an valuable item where the bid is over 850,000 pts; that will never happen again.  Thus, my statement "Once In a Lifetime"Smiley Sad

Thanks for letting me know how long it took u to accumulate the points and the way R4G was nearly 20 years ago.  The struggle continues!!!!

Have a Blessed DaySmiley Happy

Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 18

I've been a member of AARP for nearly 20 years. I didn't sign up for AARP on line until much later. I don't know where I can find the information to see how long I've been on line, but I think I might have signed up for AARP on line and Rewards for Good around 2004. My guess could be off by a few years and that would make it several years later, but I’m pretty sure it was before 2010.
During the first years of my Rewards for Good membership, points accumulated faster - I gained thousands of points per week taking quizzes and such - and auctions were easier to win with lower bids than they are now. Over time, Rewards for Good tightened points earnings to "good luck on getting a few hundred points per week" and doubled the number of points needed per entry in the R4G Sweepstakes. They changed the auction system to the one we have now (I think too many people complained about the other auction system), so people who have accumulated hundreds of thousands of points over the years can go for broke and pledge all their points on something they really want. The competition gets fierce against others who also want the same thing enough to pledge all their points. Those bidders value their points much less than some of the rest of us. Maybe they're tired of having points and not seeing any tangible benefit from them, or they are afraid R4G will end before they can get any benefit from their points, or who knows what? I certainly can't second-guess those members.

I have over 800,000 points and would have had well over 1,000,000 by now if I had not entered R4G Sweepstakes, bought some Daily Deals (sometimes with points only and sometimes with points plus money for a discounted price off retail value), or used some of my points to buy the occasional gift card at AARP discounted prices.

Also, I still have over 800,000 points because I was not willing to put nearly my entire point balance on the line for a $500 "WOW! Enjoy the Outdoors - Camping" package with a winning bid of 708,077 points ($7,080.77 monetary value at 1¢ per point in trade, February 10, 2018) or other auctions like it or worse. I put my time in, hour by hour, day by day, to get those points. I certainly don't want to bid on anything so high that it makes my time earning points worth less than the first after-school job I had over 50 years ago.

Enjoy!

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 18

@HokiePoq wrote:

@nctarheel   The restaurant discount that I do use fairly often is the one good at Carrabras, Bonefish Grill, and Outback.   When I don't have a better offer that about covers the tip.   They do only honor one discount at a time. You just show your AARP card for that and it is not linked to points being used.  The wait staff knows about AARP discount at those locations in our area.

@HokiePoq,

You did touch upon the one AARP discount I do use. That is the discount at the BLOOMING ONION CHAIN of Bonefish, Carrabas, and Outback. As chains go, their food is a step above other chains but if you play your cards right, they can also be much more inexpensive than the prices on the menu.

I double dip at Bonefish every visit. How? Our Costco sells Bonefish gift cards at Christmas for $79.99 per $100, thus when I use these gift cards I am already getting a 20% discount on my Bonefish purchase. Bonefish also allows the 10% AARP discount when I use these gift cards. That means that a $20 meal is really about $14 out of my pocket. At the same time as I am getting these savings, the BLOOMING ONION CHAIN has a DINE REWARDS CLUB. You join, spend at least $20 on your food, give the server your phone number, and every fourth visit, you get $20 off your check (can't use the AARP with that but you can use the gift cards). Average in the $20 off every fourth visit and then my food cost for a $20 meal is reduced to $11.50. That is why, if I can afford it at the time, I will buy $400 worth of Bonefish gift cards at Costco when they sell them at Christmas to cover my visits to Bonefish during the upcoming year. Those particular gift cards ARE ONLY GOOD at Bonefish, not the other two restaurants in the chain.

As to Carabbas and Outback, the DINE REWARDS program and the AARP discount do apply, so, even at those two, I save.

Kudos
Views
Regular Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 18

@HokiePoq 

Did a little research on Regal Cinemas chain, and it's headquarters in East TN and most chains in the Eastern part of U.S.  No benefit to hundreds of thousands members not from the Eastern U.S.Smiley Sad

Good you get this perk!!

Have a Blessed Day,

Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 18

@mi4090  That is amazing about the points.

I used some Regal Cinema passes on Friday that I'd gotten some time ago from AARP through the auctions.   We have several locations here in coastal VIrginia.   I haven't tried to use their discount for drink and popcorn.   Made the mistake of taking the grands and without the AARP gift card I had I'd have paid $37 at the refreshment stand.    They are used to each getting certain things at the movies.  Our own kids shared one popcorn and drink, lol.....at the dollar movie theatre only.    I was frugal.

Kudos
Views
Regular Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 18

@HokiePoq 

Been a member (4) years and didn't even look at R4G for (2) years and I was awarded points on a daily bases.  All Email Promos only.  The restaurant coupons are mostly for fast food establishments in the SouthSmiley Sad I don't go to fast food establishments.  No movie theater discounts, my state (TN) and the bordering (2) states don't honored AARP at movies.  Rental car agencies give a small discount; I became a member of most rental car agencies and got better discounts and specials, thus my reason for joining AARPSmiley Sad\

The struggle for points continues!!

Have a Great Day!!

Kudos
Views