Take a look at aging around the world in 'A New Age,' a special report by AARP and Magnum Photos.

Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: AARP AUCTIONS???

Message 1 of 59

Hello.

With that many points, you should be able to bid--and win--on a lot of items.  True, you'll not be able to win the "featured" auctions (for the trips or items worth hundreds or thousands of dollars,) but you have plenty to bid on--and win--$5, $10, $15, and $25 gift cards and the like.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 59

I agree with you. I had played the auctions for 3 or 4 years till they changed to current format. Along the way I enjoyed the competition for the daily 3pm auction plus bidding on other auctions. During those years I won several money-saving auctions. Then things started changing. As the auctions grew more popular, a certain element started cheating to beat the honest players. It became more frustrating to try to win an auction because of these cheaters. I realize AARP had to try to make auctions more "honest", but ended up opening up the auctions for more players and enabling them to accumulate more points, plus creating "tiers" for players points. Now the auctions only benefit certain people who do nothing but accumulate points and negate the fun of winning auctions for the average person who just wants to have fun out of this game. The game is no longer fun for me, so I quit playing their game.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 59

I stopped entering the auctions because it will take years to get 200000 -5000000 points and all the other auctions "currently available" go with higher points than what I have. This is so unfair. the previous system was fair because then you could enter the auctions. Now there is no way to even use the points that I have because the merchandise on AARP rewards website are higher price or just otherwise not interesting. I can't order more magazines, because they are the only ones with good deals, but even with the magazines, there is a rule that you cannot order the same magazine more than once a year. I'm stuck with the points and there is nowhere to use them.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 59

It's actually not as hinkey as I thought it was:

Let's say your max bid was 10,000.  If I had entered a max bid of 17,000, when you hit "bid" my bid would automatically go up to 10,001--it wouldn't need to go any higher than that, even though I "bid" up to 17,000.  Until you bid higher than my max, you'd just get a notice that someone else instantaneously bid one point more than your max.  

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 59

Same is happening with me.  My bid in the last second was significantly higher than the previous bid, and once again (it has happened numerous times), the "final" bid was one point higher than mine. How would this person even anticipate the number I put in the bid box when it was over 100 points higher than the last bid before mine.  As a matter of fact, in looking at the time chard after the acution was over, my bid and the winning bid, which was one point higher, had the exact same time stamp.  Some people are obviously using some sort of bidding APP or software.  This should not be allowed.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 59

Now I understand why I haven't seen one single one of these powerplay auctions in the 4 hours I have been on Auctions today.  I have been glaring at the screen for 4 hours and finally I called and was told these auctions are for people who don't have a lot of points.  Everyone has the same opportunity to get points.  I don't like to have to get on here daily to accumulate points, but do so anyway.  This is very, very unfair and I'm surprised AARP would do this.  I can only see these powerplay auctions after they have closed and they are having a whole lot of them here at Christmas time.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 59

Blow a bunch of your points on sweepstakes or merchandise--once you get down to around 10,000 to 15,000 points, you'll be able to see the "lower" ones.  Or, you could really save up to get a "high end" prize--in the 250,000 and up range.  I used over 100,000 points to get a $10 gift card, but have been able to win a couple of auctions in the lower register.  While i do understand how you consider it unfair, i think they're just trying to give people who don't or can't compile a giant point balance at least a chance at winning some items.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker +
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 59

If I look at Closed Auctions, I see items that I did not have a chance to bid on.  When I called about this, I was told by an AARP representative that I will NOT see all Live Auctions. I see only the ones chosen for me (by AARP) to see based upon my point balance. I believe this is unfair. I will "pay" more points for the same item that someone else paid on an auction that I did not see because I have accumulated more points.

There are many example of this. When you look at Closed Auctions and see that two people will get the exact same item on the same day with a difference of 100,000 points, something is wrong. Why try to accumulate points at all? The AARP rep said it was so that all could participate in Auctions. I don't get it. Everyone should be on an equal basis. I save my points and do quizzes everyday in order to have points to use, but then the "cost" is unfair to me.

I get charged more because I have more?? How is this fair?? I should be able to see all auctions and compete with everyone on an equal basis. I beleive this current AARP Rewards for Good policy is unfair.

Tags (1)
Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 59

It goes by max bid.  The current value is always one point higher than the 2nd highest max bid.

So if you put in 80k max bid, but next highest max bid is 60k, your bid is 60k+1.  if someone else then puts in a max bid of 65k, your bid would go to 65k+1.

Hope that makes more sense.. 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 59

I have bid a few times and have noticed that the second I place a bid, I see a higher bid by one point registering at the same time.  I have experimented with this, bidding early and bidding late at it's always the same thing.  I've checked the bid history and it looks like the same thing happens again and again with my bids and other bids.  

Is there some program out there that let's you automatically bid one point higher on an auction when someone else bids?  It sure looks like it.20180915_102211.jpg20180915_102247.jpg20180915_102257.jpg20180915_102303.jpg20180915_102310.jpg

Kudos
Views