Prevention is the best medicine when it comes to avoiding surprise medical bills! Learn more.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Your're "Retired' NOW WHAT?

Message 11 of 17

I officially retired in 2012, but had a difficult time quitting work. For 3-4 years, I did independent contractor work, until an injury made walking very difficult.

Shortly afterwards, my husband was transferred to a different state.  My injury was pretty much healed, but I spent the next year moping around the house, finding no enthusiasm to even finish unpacking and fully settling into our new home.

It wasn't until we were introduced to our church that I finally learned how to retire!

My husband and I hadn't ever bothered with becoming members of, or attending church services, except on special occasions when invited by family or friends.  We just weren't terribly interested in it.

However, the church we found was very welcoming, and I found myself offering to help with various tasks, like providing snacks and serving them at the coffee social hour after services each Sunday. 

From that, I became involved with various other church activities, just because I had so much time on my hands!

One of the church members manages the community food and clothing bank, which is independent of the church. I was asked if I wanted to volunteer there and, with less enthusiasm, I agreed to do 2 hours, one day per week. I just wasn't interested in committing to a regular schedule of work anymore.

Well, people, I am so busy now, that I don't have time to mope around the house and miss a "real job"!!

I am now working a full schedule at the food and clothing bank, and working at the church the rest of my time during the week days.  In addition, I have been driving people who can no longer drive, when they have a doctor appointment or need to do grocery shopping, etc.

My husband and I are now members of both our church choir and the civic choir, and each group meets once a week for practice.  The civic choir then performs public concerts at various days, times and locations throughout the season.

Want to know "Now what"?  THAT'S what!

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 17

It's different for everybody. But, one thing that's the same, is that there is no longer the exuse of "just doing my job". Retirement is a good time to revaluate the external environment and the internal condtion of your soul. An opportunity to reinvent yourself, or discover yourself for the the time.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 17

This topic is so timely!  I retire the end of the year and am considering my options.  I do know I will swim everyday.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 17

Have a hobby. Too much time without thinking and/or doing will lead to dementia, in my opinion. Keep the brain active!

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 17

Sounds like you've got a handle on "retirement" - that is, moving from paid activity to doing pretty much what you want to do...!  Look forward to doing same, hopefully sooner rather than later-not getting any younger here..!

Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: You're "Retired' NOW WHAT?

Message 16 of 17

This is great... to get insights like this from an "old hand" at the retirement game. I am on month 4 and looking for experience and guidance just like this. Thank you!

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views
Replies

Your're "Retired' NOW WHAT?

Message 17 of 17

THOUGHTS ON 'GETTING OUT THERE'....

This is only from my own personal experience. When my wife and I retired, virtually at the same time from different careers, we made the conscious decision to not 'sit on the porch in rocking chairs' so to speak.

As a former 2nd grade teacher, she wanted to keep her skills sharp so to speak, so she found a local school district which was in dire need of volunteers in their ESL (English as a second language) classes. So she started volunteering and now does that two afternoons a week and has found it quite rewarding. She also helps another school district which, wisely uses their computer literate students, to help seniors in living situations who have trouble with their computers/electronics. It is quite astounding how savvy young teenagers are!  BUT they need a chaperone to accompany these kids into folks homes, so my wife goes along and also tries to steer the kids to help them give simple, non-complex answers to befuddled seniors. THese keep her quite busy.

As for me:

I discovered woodworking as a satisfying 'new' hobby and that keeps my hands and brain busy at home, along with home maintenance.(My woodworking 'philosophy': Taking a raw material - wood, and making/creating something useful with lasting beauty is VERY satisfying. As a former studio photographer for over 40 years, I miss the darkroom and creating an image from raw materials and the similarities with wood working have attracted me greatly.)

BUT, we both learned early on, that it is good to get out in the world and be with other folks. SO, I joined the local chapter of Rotary. This has become a very nice weekly activity. THey have weekly meetings at lunchtime, usually with a speaker on some topic. BUT, the real deep seated reason why I like the Rotary organization is that they are a charitable organization and the chapter here supports many local charities with not only financial assistance (moneys garnered from sales activities as well as donations), but also with man-power to help the local charities. THis means that we get a 'call out' for all hands on deck to support one of the charities. Lots of fellowship, supporting worthy causes and accomplishing something of value generally for those in need.  This philosophy appeals to me for many reasons and the group is a warm and friendly group and very welcoming to newcomers. 

All it takes is to make an effort to get out there and discover what there is which appeals to you as an activity and what the motives of the group are... Lots to discover and learn!

BUT you have to make the first move!  (You can find the Rotary INternational website and local chapters very easily online by the way!)

Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Have a question about AARP membership or benefits? Ask it in the AARP Help Membership forum, Benefits & Discounts forum, or General forum.

multiple white question marks with center red question mark