Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Would you retire abroad?

Message 1 of 25

That's Lake Chapala and we have lived 12 years there now in the village of Ajijic. Getting a bit too crowded with expats for the area's infrastructure, but still a warm hospitalable and welcoming community for folks willing to adapt to Mexico's lifestyle & customs/traditions and free themselves from the north-of-the-border way of thinking & lifestyle. Yes, many are bilingual & though you can speak English, it's important to learn basic Spanish and use it too. It is a courtesy to your new home country. No one is too old to learn a new langage if truly willing too and commited to learn.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 25

Absolutely, I would! There are so many places where I would want to go. I just have to work out the logistics first. There is a town in Mexico where many expats live  and of course they all speak English.  They live near a beautiful lake and the town provides everything they need.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 25

Not a chance! Living in the U.S. is the only option for me. 

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 25

After being in Botswana from 2011 to 2014 while serving in Peace Corps, I decided I would not return to the States to live. I was looking at Costa Rica, a place I had visited 20 years ago, and Belize, having had friends from there. But a PC colleague who had served there as well as Botswana, suggested I check out Panama. I did and I will have been here 5 years in February. It isn't perfect but no place is. It is a lovely, flawed place, especially Pedasi, the town I live in on the Pacific coast. It has its challenges and I knew after a year here it would not be permanent. I am what they call a perpetual tourist. I leave on average every 5 months (tourist cannot stay more than 180 days) and I have only violated that twice. I've stayed out as long as 4 months and as short as 3 days. It is a great incentive to travel and since being here I have visited Costa Rica twice, Belize also twice, Guatemala, Cuba, and Colombia. I have only recently did extensive travel in Panama and loved it but I am on an exit stance. Looking at doing Peace Corps Response in Belize for 9 months, I may stay after that tour.

Kudos
Views
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 25

Absolutely!!!! My wife and I are currently looking at southwest France. Cuisine, lifestyle, weather, quality of life, etc. we have visited a few times, and find it very attractive! 

Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 25

Well, I went to Tonga because my husband was from there. The one thing you have to remember is you have no rights in a foreign country.  It's their rules and you must abide by them, it's called respect. You might not like it but grin and bear it.

One rule is you can't swim on Sunday. Sunday is a day of rest. If you do go, you will be arrested. But, the people of Tonga will tell you, it's up to you to listen.

No one has a gun, only the military, not the police either, they have a baton and they know how to use it very well.

You can't be drunk in public. When, you come out of the bar, you should have a ride or have a taxi waiting for you. You will be arrested and this gives security to the people.

Men  have to wear a shirt in public, it's shows respect to the everyone.

Dont ever do a crime in Tonga, there is No Parole.  There are no fences on the prison grounds but if you escape the people have a right to stop you any way they can.  You have no rights.  Plus, there are no beds, you sleep on the ground.  You wake up early and work on the prison farm, growing all your food to eat.  It's called Sustanibility.  The day your off is Sunday.

Tonga is called the Friendly Islands and yes, they are very friendly as long as you treat them like you want to be treated.

So, remember, when you decide to live outside the US, rules and respect is so important.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 25

Yes. I have been considering Ireland due to ancestry and language. 

Kudos
Views
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 25

In a heartbeat! We've looked at either Canada or Belize!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 25

Yes.   Portugal or Croatia.  Not sure which yet.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 25

i would most definitely consider retiring outside of the United States.  However, I have not done any investigation with regard to a move such as this and would appreciate any input from those who have already made the move.  As I am relatively fluent in German, I would like to know more about the optins for living there after my retirement.  

Kudos
Views