Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Retired Community Manager

Would you retire abroad?

Have you ever thought of retiring outside of the U.S. (or have you already)? If so, where would you like to go? What appeals to you about moving to another country in retirement?

Contributor

Absolutely, I would! There are so many places where I would want to go. I just have to work out the logistics first. There is a town in Mexico where many expats live  and of course they all speak English.  They live near a beautiful lake and the town provides everything they need.

Trusted Contributor

That's Lake Chapala and we have lived 12 years there now in the village of Ajijic. Getting a bit too crowded with expats for the area's infrastructure, but still a warm hospitalable and welcoming community for folks willing to adapt to Mexico's lifestyle & customs/traditions and free themselves from the north-of-the-border way of thinking & lifestyle. Yes, many are bilingual & though you can speak English, it's important to learn basic Spanish and use it too. It is a courtesy to your new home country. No one is too old to learn a new langage if truly willing too and commited to learn.

Periodic Contributor

Not a chance! Living in the U.S. is the only option for me. 

Regular Contributor

After being in Botswana from 2011 to 2014 while serving in Peace Corps, I decided I would not return to the States to live. I was looking at Costa Rica, a place I had visited 20 years ago, and Belize, having had friends from there. But a PC colleague who had served there as well as Botswana, suggested I check out Panama. I did and I will have been here 5 years in February. It isn't perfect but no place is. It is a lovely, flawed place, especially Pedasi, the town I live in on the Pacific coast. It has its challenges and I knew after a year here it would not be permanent. I am what they call a perpetual tourist. I leave on average every 5 months (tourist cannot stay more than 180 days) and I have only violated that twice. I've stayed out as long as 4 months and as short as 3 days. It is a great incentive to travel and since being here I have visited Costa Rica twice, Belize also twice, Guatemala, Cuba, and Colombia. I have only recently did extensive travel in Panama and loved it but I am on an exit stance. Looking at doing Peace Corps Response in Belize for 9 months, I may stay after that tour.

Contributor

Absolutely!!!! My wife and I are currently looking at southwest France. Cuisine, lifestyle, weather, quality of life, etc. we have visited a few times, and find it very attractive! 

Conversationalist

Well, I went to Tonga because my husband was from there. The one thing you have to remember is you have no rights in a foreign country.  It's their rules and you must abide by them, it's called respect. You might not like it but grin and bear it.

One rule is you can't swim on Sunday. Sunday is a day of rest. If you do go, you will be arrested. But, the people of Tonga will tell you, it's up to you to listen.

No one has a gun, only the military, not the police either, they have a baton and they know how to use it very well.

You can't be drunk in public. When, you come out of the bar, you should have a ride or have a taxi waiting for you. You will be arrested and this gives security to the people.

Men  have to wear a shirt in public, it's shows respect to the everyone.

Dont ever do a crime in Tonga, there is No Parole.  There are no fences on the prison grounds but if you escape the people have a right to stop you any way they can.  You have no rights.  Plus, there are no beds, you sleep on the ground.  You wake up early and work on the prison farm, growing all your food to eat.  It's called Sustanibility.  The day your off is Sunday.

Tonga is called the Friendly Islands and yes, they are very friendly as long as you treat them like you want to be treated.

So, remember, when you decide to live outside the US, rules and respect is so important.

Yes. I have been considering Ireland due to ancestry and language. 

Contributor

In a heartbeat! We've looked at either Canada or Belize!

Contributor

How easy is it to retire to Canada?  I have heard it is difficult.

Honored Social Butterfly

@refazenda 

Right now the border is still closed between the US and Canada - last I read not going to open until later this year (late summer or fall)

Yahoo News 05/05/2021 - When will the Canada-U.S. border reopen? 

This is a little old but I think it still applies - 

USNEWS 3/10/2017 - 7 Tips for Retiring to Canada 

To actually migrate there, immigrants must fit specific criteria such as being a skilled employee or have Canadian family members willing to sponsor them. When applying for entry through some immigration programs, age may be a factor, making it difficult for older Americans to gain permanent residency. (wish these rules applied here)  But if you can split your retirement location and time between the US and Canada, then it is not too hard.  

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
0 Kudos
Contributor

Yes.   Portugal or Croatia.  Not sure which yet.

i would most definitely consider retiring outside of the United States.  However, I have not done any investigation with regard to a move such as this and would appreciate any input from those who have already made the move.  As I am relatively fluent in German, I would like to know more about the optins for living there after my retirement.  

Contributor

Yes ! Only for half the year . Just as the Snow birds go down to Florida for the winter . I go to Jamaica 

Kudos
Views
Trusted Contributor

My wife and I did in 2007. Retired and have enjoyed 12 years now in Mexico. Due to retirement cost-of-living in Mexico, was able to achieve early retirement just shy of my 59th birthdsay. It has proven to be a dream retirement come true. Better health & vitality. Improved fresh fruit & vegetable diet. Despite news media hype on cartels & dangers, we feel safer here than when we lived in the United States. The government in Washington and their policies & direction scares and embarrasses me. Accepted permanent residency visas in Mexico in 2013, knowing it very unlikely we would want to move back north. Have advised our daughter & grandchildren we prefer them to visit us in Mexico rather than us vacation in the U.S. anymore. They seem delighted with that option

Not likely as a permanent xpat but as a snow bird. I lived overseas in several countries in the past 20-years and the life disconnect of family, home and country became wearying. Holiday absence with family and friends especially so. Never a small island, too confining. 

Conversationalist

My wife is from The Philippines: I'm retired navy.  There is a large American community in that country, although since there are no longer any military bases there the total number of folks is dropping.  Things are, in the main, less expensive there than in the U.S. but one BIG thing to remember: you cannot use Medicare for health care overseas.  I could use my military medical benefits to an extent but it's frequently pay upfront and reimbursement - for some not all expenses - would come "later".  The combination of no bases to take advantage of and no Medicare usage kept us from even considering moving overseas.  It was all about the "Benjamins".  Plus: there are security concerns in many overseas locations where Americans seek to retire.  I would not necessarily use "House Hunters International" as an advertisement for foreign living.

Conversationalist

I'm seriously considering retiring in Colombia. The people are very friendly and helpful, the city life is interesting and fun, and the climate is amazing. I'm studying Spanish now.

yes

i have spent quite a bit of time in Ireland and really enjoy the people, weather and safety

not sure about medical

anyone have any experience there?

I think the whole idea, as an idea sounds so wonderful.  New places, cuisine, new experiences, meeting interesting people from a differant culture are all exciting.  The thought of streching retirement dollars is appealing too.  However, familiarity with the language and geography, understanding bureacracy and our sometimes cockeyed systems as aopposed to learning new ones are drawbacks. And above all - closeness to family and  friends would prevent me from relocating.  Extended travel - That I'll look forward to however, I'll always be most comfortable returning to a familiar setting.

Super Contributor

I met some pretty cool retirees in Southeast Asia- they were living very cheaply, eating well, and enjoying inexpensive travel. It's kind of appealing but I think I would miss my family and friends too much. I feel supported by the people I'm close to and would miss that support system if living in another country. But I wouldn't mind living in another country (or another state!) for a year to experience something completely different from my usual life. It takes a lot of courage though!

Yes! I am considering moving to Mexico or Brazil. I have visited both and the dollar goes a long way in both. Plus, Mexico is close to the U.S. and the people are so kind. The culture is so interesteing. 

Honored Social Butterfly

If i were not married and did not have family close by, I would be out of the U.S. in a minute. Not overseas, but up in Canada. Canada is not densely populated, has many areas  close to scenic areas that are not as expensive as U.S. cities, better healthcare, less crime (especially violent).

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Periodic Contributor

Nope you could always use HER to cook anc clean! lol

Honored Social Butterfly

Absolutely not!  I have no wanderlust anymore.  So I would much rather be in a place I know.

Regular Social Butterfly

Absolutely! I thought of it years ago, but even more so in the last few years, particularly due to growth of hate and disparagement in our home country.

Australia / New Zealand first choice (based on language, weather and economy similarities), but I have been told they only accept working individuals.

Greece next based on weather and culinary tastes 😉

I have not considered other locations, mainly due to weather conditions, but also language, as I feel I lost the ability to learn / speak other languages intelligently when my education ended...

Thanks @VickiM68 for an interesting topic!

#VegasStrong
Phil Harris, actor and showman, to John Fogerty of CCR: “If I’d known I’d live this long, I’d have taken better care of myself.”
0 Kudos
Super Contributor

No way no how.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP