You could save on auto insurance when you complete the AARP Smart Driver course! Get a free phone charging set with promo code AARP6.

Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Why I'm Never Retiring—And Why You May Not, Either

Message 1 of 40

kleino wrote:

It is not possible for most to retire and live any type of quality life. http://bit.ly/1MOup94

And the idea of retirement is an anomoly that lasted for 2 generations.  I think we all need to have the right perspective -- there was no such thing as retirement until after WWii.  Prior to that, you work until you died....".

You can, but you have to start planning, and saving, at an early age. What is (mostly) gone are pensions. And yes, it was easy for boomers to get jobs, full time, paying for benefits and often with pensions. And most anyone could get a job if they showed up on time and did the job. Now, it's difficult to get your foot in the door, and you need specific skillsets.

The answer is to make sure you get good grades in high school, then go on to a trade school or 'traditional' college in a field where there is opportunity.  Once you secure a 'decent' paying job, you start financial planning. You live below your means (and you may have to get a second, part time job to do this), you budget, you make minimal purchases (and think and research every significant purchase), you invest in the stock market (long-term investing still works). There are endless lists in endless articles talking about how to save money, budget, live frugally, etc.

The long and short of it is that you have to work at it. You have to set financial goals. You have to put your financial future in your hands --- it's not about the 'country being rich enough'. It's all about you being educated financially and doing what it takes to secure your future. This has to start in your 20's and be a part of your lifestyle.

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 40
@kleino wrote:

It is not possible for most to retire and live any type of quality life. http://bit.ly/1MOup94

And the idea of retirement is an anomoly that lasted for 2 generations.  I think we all need to have the right perspective -- there was no such thing as retirement until after WWii.  Prior to that, you work until you died. And the same is now in store for most of ypour children and grandchildren. It is only in that small window of time that our country was rich enough to afford true retirement.  That period is gone.

@kleino - Wow; the Grinch who stole Christmas!

Everyone in my family in my mother's and my generation is happily retired.

I was fortunate being able to retire early, and have 13 years "practice" at it .. and it will be like "icing on the cake", to start collecting my pension & SS in a few years!

As far as what to do with my time; I've been an officer of 2 organizations, and am being talked into getting more involved with a 3rd, to apply organizational skills developed when I was working. This past fall, after a large project at home, I caught up by seeing 4 shows.

Even if I had to wait until the typical retirement age of 65, I'd be looking forward to it, and have lots of plans to enjoy it!

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 40

And the idea of retirement is an anomoly that lasted for 2 generations.  I think we all need to have the right perspective -- there was no such thing as retirement until after WWii.  Prior to that, you work until you died. And the same is now in store for most of ypour children and grandchildren. It is only in that small window of time that our country was rich enough to afford true retirement.  That period is gone.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 40

I totally understand the concept of having to work due to financial need.

I don't understand why so many people believe that "rewarding mental stimulation & challenges", are only available via a paid job .. where so much of one's time is committed! As a volunteer, you can commit as much or little time as you want to an organization (or a few), and avoid a lot of the corporate/administrative nonsense you have with a paid position. If you don't feel your effort & time are appreciated and being properly used .. you just focus on another organization, or limit the time/activities in which you engage.

There are probably more opportunities for mental challenges as a volunteer, because fewer people are jumping in to do the difficult things, since they don't have to impress the boss to get the next promotion!

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 40
Re::Why I'm Never Retiring-And Why You May Not, Either
My retirement dreams never entered my thoughts. I loved my
job and was told by a very knowledgeable and successful friend, that I " thrived on my job". When that was said, I realized that was really the truth and I certainly did not think of
it as "work"! It was a wonderful opportunity and forever unfolding challenge for me. My intuition, imagination, knowledge of history, art, mechanics, architecture etc. was
always being exercised mentally- researching if it didn't come to me. Now, at 78 3/4 years, I still research and seek out learning new and different techniques. Emmee,15
Emmee15
Tags (2)
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 40

@TappDoubt wrote:

@nafddur wrote:

.. I understand why lots of people can't retire, but don't get at all people who claim they don't want to retire. That makes ZERO sense to me!

Well, I'd love to retire right now (I'm 60), but that's not possible with my current financial situation. Fortunately I like my current job, employer, flexible work hours, and am in reasonably good health. So I consider myself lucky to still have the option to continue working. With any luck, in another 5-8 years I'll be able to reconsider the options. I agree with everyone who says retire as soon as possible - that's the ticket. Maybe I should have taken that government job 20 years ago, but what's the sense of pondering that? Working at a place you don't like for 20 years is no fair tradeoff for early retirement. We each have to follow our own path.

Thankfully  I like my profession and my current position..  I enjoy the social aspects of my job and my "work friends" and so I have not been in any hurry to retire.   This like so many other issues can only be answered by "you".. because every person's situation is unique.  I think I will know when I am ready to retire.  

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 40

@ASTRAEA wrote:
@nafddur wrote:

.. I understand why lots of people can't retire, but don't get at all people who claim they don't want to retire. That makes ZERO sense to me!

@nafddur - I agree with you; even if you like your job .. retirement is the "reward" for all those long hours, and the people most of us have to work with periodically, who are unpleasant. Some people equate "retirement" with "boredom", so they don't want to quit, but only the lazy don't develop interests along the way, that can keep them busy when they stop working.

Well, I'd love to retire right now (I'm 60), but that's not possible with my current financial situation. Fortunately I like my current job, employer, flexible work hours, and am in reasonably good health. So I consider myself lucky to still have the option to continue working. With any luck, in another 5-8 years I'll be able to reconsider the options. I agree with everyone who says retire as soon as possible - that's the ticket. Maybe I should have taken that government job 20 years ago, but what's the sense of pondering that? Working at a place you don't like for 20 years is no fair tradeoff for early retirement. We each have to follow our own path.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 40

@mjkelley53 wrote:

MY goal is to find a job that I love.  I am 61...and recently divorced and am now starting over. and I mean starting over... NO house or job.  If I love what I do I will be happy to do it as long as I feel fulfilled and busy and...  there is a lot to do, working or not... classes, volunteering and travel not to mention family.  Life is full of adjustments.  and we make the most out of each situation.

Now, THAT'S the way it's done, folks. No whining, regrets, pity-parties - just go forth and follow whatever path you desire. Thank you for the inspiration!

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Re: REPLYING TO SPECIFIC POST

Message 9 of 40
Thank you for the information. I saw what was happening but I didn't know why it was showing up that way. Just thought it was another AARP's dumb things that they do. I do appreciate your feedback. I hope I can apply it now. shirl1669
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Re: REPLYING TO SPECIFIC POST

Message 10 of 40

Tags (1)
Kudos
Views