Do you or your loved ones suspect a scam? Report it now to the AARP Fraud Watch Network.

Recognized Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Where do you want to live when you retire?

Message 281 of 308

I love Asheville, NC.  It is in the mountains where summer is not too hot and there is little snow in winter. Fall and Spring are long and ideal.  Great Drs and Hospitals.  Homey and sophisticated at the same time.  Good places to eat.  It is a "with it" kind of place.  Diverse schools and a wonderful variety of active people.  

Problem is -- so many people want to live there cost of living is high and it is a Right to Work State resulting in low wages.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 282 of 308

@Rex1948 wrote:

I lived in Portland for 25 years and loved it. I've been away 7 years and wow it has gotten expensive. I want to be downtown where everything is at my fingertips and transport is so accessible. I am concerned about the cost though. I am wondering how to look for people with great places but who are getting priced out. If we shared it could be a win win. Any ideas?

This is an issue for everyone wanting to live a very desirable area.  You might try looking for condo rentals. You might have to go to each building that you are interested in and see what is available for sharing but in my ara, that is a common arrangement for college attendees.  Apartment  sharing is also common, check the online ads or check with the rental office.   Take care though because with sharing, there is no guarantee that the other person and you will be compatible and you also have to be careful when you draw up the financial sharing plans.  You don't want to be left holding the bag if someone decides to leave unexpectedly.

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 283 of 308

I lived in Portland for 25 years and loved it. I've been away 7 years and wow it has gotten expensive. I want to be downtown where everything is at my fingertips and transport is so accessible. I am concerned about the cost though. I am wondering how to look for people with great places but who are getting priced out. If we shared it could be a win win. Any ideas?

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 284 of 308

Hi,

Where is your home near Flagstaff?  Is it in the mountains?

Phoenix in the winter and Flagstaff in the summer...the best of both worlds.

Good for you!

I like the ocean.....but for now my home is "The Villages, Florida. 

d4ffb19a0748aab1e3659d67e6d4259c.jpg

@Bronco56 wrote:
We are retired and live in Phoenix. The winters are great! For the hot summers we bought a home near Flagstaff. Two hours apart and a lot cooler!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 285 of 308
We are retired and live in Phoenix. The winters are great! For the hot summers we bought a home near Flagstaff. Two hours apart and a lot cooler!
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 286 of 308

I introduced my husband to the Smokies on our honeymoon, and he fell in love with the area, just like I did when I lived in TN.  Anybody know of a small cabin on a little piece of land with a view of the mountains?

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 287 of 308
I want to stay in Naperville and live in Naperville for my retirement . I. Love my city Naperville . From Anne Kimble
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 288 of 308

I'm going to retire in my house.

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 289 of 308

We've retired 'in place'. We have been in our one-and-only house for almost 37 years. I would love to have a place out in the Pacific Northwest, but most of our respective families live within an hour's drive. So, we're staying here. We are on a few acres, so I have been indulging in big-time gardening for a lot of years. We'll stay here until we physically cannot handle the property.

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Tags (1)
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 290 of 308

We are in Pennylvania now but want to go west to ski country and are looking for affordable suggestions.

Kudos
Views