AARP Members Enjoy Exclusive Discounts on Travel, Dining and More. Join Today

Social Butterfly

Re: When to go into Assisted Living Facility

Message 11 of 19

If I'm of sound mind and body, then if and when I go into an assisted living facility will be my decision.  If I develop problems, either mental or physical, which prevent me from caring for myself properly, then I'll consider assisted living both for my benefit, and to relieve my sons of the burden of caring for me day-to-day.  However, if and when that time comes, the assisted living facility will have to live up to my standards and be a place where I'd actually LIVE and not just EXIST until I die.  If I'm still running and swimming, then I want a place that accept the fact that, whatever my age, I won't conform to what the assisted living facility "expect" of older adults.  They'll have to accept the fact that I might still do things that a younger person does, and I won't allow them to tell me to sit in a chair until naptime, or not do certain things because "people my age" don't do these things.   I want assisted LIVING, not "existing".

Report Inappropriate Content
Social Butterfly

Message 12 of 19

Sometimes I think I would love to go into an assisted living thing.  I'm getting to the point where I would like to have things done for me.  I've had my mother in 2 of them.  Maybe for the safety standpoint or just the social side.  I get lonely and after 71 years, I wonder if it could be a good change.

Maybe it's a pipe dream and I haven't faced reality.  Need a splash of cold water in the face.

Could I take my cat with me.

Info Seeker

Message 13 of 19

I first entered an assited living facility then transitioned to independent living. I was stricken down with acute kidney disease and spent a lenghy time in nursing home while Real SErvice help me obtain a medicaid waiver to enter an assisted living facility. Once I was in the assited living facilty, recieving waiver benefits, I began using a local fitness club. I improved my health to where I no longer qualified for Waiver Benefits. Luckly I was at an assited living facility that also offered Independent living. I now reside in Independent Living and get to the Y to swim up to 5 times a week. I alsohave Tai Chi classes offered at my facility as well as the Y. While I am now recovered enough that I could possibly live on my own, the safety afforded by residing in my community offeres me peace of mind, a priceless commodity.

Conversationalist

Message 14 of 19
I like that way of thinking. I wish I could do it myself cause I'm gonna be one of those old women they find dead in the house with a possible time of death months ago. No family close by, they never call to check on me, etc. Not feeling sorry for myself cause that seems to be the way families are anymore but looking for solutions.
Social Butterfly

Message 15 of 19

Can you still do things for yourself?  Can you dress yourself bathe yourself etc without help?  You say your daughter works, but can she still be of help.  Does she have a family to take care of that would make it hard for her to be there if you need her?  Maybe a caregiver from an outside agency could come in several days to help you out, if financiall y possible. These are some suggestions that I offer you.  I took care of my Dad, who was 88, and had dementia but I was able to take early retirement.

Social Butterfly

Message 16 of 19

I live in an Independent living facility which also has assisted living with it.  I lived alone  in a 2 story home after caring for my father.  After he passed away, I found it hard financially and physically to live at home and started doing research.  After visiting several facilities, I found a place that was financially viable and still in the area that I had lived.  I wanted to have the complete package so that when or if I would need assisted living, I could stay there.  Believe me. assisted living is very expensive!  As long as I can take care of myself, dress and bathe myself, and get around, I will remain independent.  But reality is,if you can no longer do these things,  you may need an Assisted Living facility, especially if you don't have family that can care for you.

Regular Social Butterfly

Message 17 of 19

First, do your research. If you live in the city, chances are there's more than one, and you'll want to know not only the financial impact, but also how well they're rated (assuming your state publishes that info; most do) for safety concerns. Every facility we've investigated has a unique social atmosphere. It's important to find one that is compatible with your lifestyle and interests.

We moved my MIL for reasons of socialization. Although she lived with us, it was a terrible lifestyle fit; she didn't like ours and we didn't enjoy hers. She was becoming isolated, with friends dying off and family far away. Isolation is VERY BAD for people with mild cognitive impairment. She was declining and we felt isolation was the reason. 

After much research and many visits we finally selected a facility and moved her there. She was reluctant but within days was thrilled with the place. The food was good, the activities just right for her, and the regular schedule made it easy for her to adjust.

Most of all, the socialization with other residents and staff made her bloom again. She went from being someone who said "no" to everything to "Oh my, can we meet for lunch another day because I'm going to be busy on Wednesday!"

It was the best thing we ever did for her. We're in our mid-60's and getting closer to the time we want to sell our SFH and move into a senior living facility ourselves. We're tired of the upkeep, and it's hard to travel when you know your home is empty and tempting to burglars. 

We'll be looking for something quite different than MIL's facility, obviously. One for more active seniors, but staying within reach of family and friends. So more research and visits are in our future!

It will just be another phase of life. Change can be a good thing if you welcome it, rather than fighting it.

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 18 of 19

mimi0000 wrote:

Does anyone have an opinion or experience on when one decides to go to a Assisted Living Facility.

I'm 87,  living with daughter who works daytimes. My health iss appropriate for my age.

I would welcome feedback.

IMO, assisted living facilities are appropriate when a person needs help with daily living routines and needs help with these things in a greater amount of time than just having someone come in a few days a week.

The way most assisted living places work is you pay a residential fee for your room and board - covers the room, cleaning, meals.  Then you pay for the Care level which you need.  Example:  you would be charged a different fee or no fee on the daily care of bathing - no help needed = no fee for this service.  Help with bath = a modest fee, Has to be bathed, meaning staff has to move you into the area and do all of the bathing and the moving back out  = the highest bath level fee.

I moved my mom into a facility from a senior independent facilitywhen she was not able to take her meds properly, would not go get her meals or fix herself a snack and then she left on her oven and burners, telling them she forgot how to turn it off.  So she needed to be watched closely.

In the beginning her care level was minimal but then it rapidly started to increase as she became unable to do her daily care for herself.

There were plenty of people in the assisted living facility where she was located who had lived there for years and could still manage their basic needs with help.

I think it is great that you are contemplating your needs - many people never get the chance to change things for themselves as they see the need arise - the decision of when and where is then placed upon someone else.

Recognized Social Butterfly

When to go into Assisted Living Facility

Message 19 of 19

Does anyone have an opinion or experience on when one decides to go to a Assisted Living Facility.

I'm 87,  living with daughter who works daytimes. My health iss appropriate for my age.

I would welcome feedback.