Watch AARP's Movies for Grownups Awards at 9 p.m. ET on PBS' Great Performances. See A Preview

Community Manager

Re: What happened to the AARP Investment Program?

Message 1 of 14

After serious consideration, the AARP Funds Board of Trustees voted to liquidate the AARP Funds effective 7/20/2010. Shareholders received a copy of the prospectus supplement and a letter in the mail from the AARP Funds explaining the liquidation; this same information was posted on the AFI website at aarpfinancial.com/mutualfunds at the time.

AARP did not maintain these accounts, so we do not have access to these records, which is why the provider must provide this information.  Boston Financial has been managing any outstanding issues relating to these now liquidated funds. For assistance, please contact them directly at 1-800-728-3337.

(01/19/18: This topic is now closed so the official response can be more easily discovered by anyone searching this topic.)

Report Inappropriate Content
Valued Social Butterfly

Message 2 of 14

@PaulS184940wrote:

ok - I take it all back - someone called me back from DWS (deautche) with all of the info - that is the right number but I just had to state the fund name correctly to the customer service person so that they could look up the correct fund records. thanks AARP Blogging community. 

You are welcome, Glad you got some direction.  I remember doing that search on it a few years back and was just about to give you some more search stuff on Zurich Scudder Investments.

Hope you found a pot of gold ???!!!!!

Info Seeker

Message 3 of 14

ok - I take it all back - someone called me back from DWS (deautche) with all of the info - that is the right number but I just had to state the fund name correctly to the customer service person so that they could look up the correct fund records. thanks AARP Blogging community. 

Info Seeker

Message 4 of 14

boy did I just get the proverbial runaround - at 2 pm, I called Deautche assets management at the number 1-800-728-3337 that is listed on this blog and after 30 minutes holding, spoke to a nice lady, claudia, that told me DWS sold these funds to "compass" which turned out to be ADP custodial - spent another 30 minutes holding for ADP who then claimed that these funds were sold to fidelity investments, spent 30 minutes speaking to one group (401 k) at fidelity with no luck and then was transferred to another number at fidelity and help for anither 45 minutes before I was told that fidelity had NO idea whatsoever of the funds being purchased and any account... so 2 hours later , no closer to finding out what happened to these AARP funds that were sold to my deceased father in 1997! 

Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly

Message 5 of 14

eb69823833 wrote:
aarp gnma and u.s. treasury fund from scudder
1988 16.667shares
what if anything can i do with them or contact some one thanks for the help

Here are a few leads

1.  See AARPLynne's reply to this thread - post before yours although awhile back

2.  Check this out - page 7 "History"

Prospectus DWS GNMA Fund 2009 -

It says,  "On July 17, 2000, the fund changed its name from AARP GNMA and US Treasury Fund to Scudder GNMA Fund (now DWS GNMA Fund). At the same time, the fund changed its strategy to eliminate investment  requirements in US Treasuries securities.  Consequently, the fund’s past perfor- mance may have been different if the current strategy had been in place.

The existing class of shares of AARP GNMA and US Treasury Fund was redesignated ClassAARP.OnJuly14,2006,ClassAARP shares were converted into Class S shares. Performance figures for Class S reflect the historical performance of the fund’s original share class (Class AARP)."

3.  Then try finding DWS GNMA FUND - Class S shares

I believe that DWS was/is Deutsche Asset Management 

DId you not get any communications on your investment through the years?

Good Luck

Info Seeker

Message 6 of 14
aarp gnma and u.s. treasury fund from scudder
1988 16.667shares
what if anything can i do with them or contact some one thanks for the help
Community Manager

Message 7 of 14

@tomof11: Thank you for your question. After serious consideration, the AARP Funds Board of Trustees voted to liquidate the AARP Funds effective 7/20/2010. Shareholders received a copy of the prospectus supplement and a letter in the mail from the AARP Funds explaining the liquidation; this same information was posted on the AFI website at aarpfinancial.com/mutualfunds at the time.

AARP did not maintain these accounts, so we do not have access to these records, which is why the provider must provide this information.  Boston Financial has been managing any outstanding issues relating to these now liquidated funds. For assistance, please contact them directly at 1-800-728-3337.

Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 8 of 14

I was curious, and looked. The only thing I found is that AARP was going to liquidate their funds at end of 2011. Apparently, didn't sell enough to keep the investment arm going.

Of course, there are endless bonds available through dozens of companies.

Just think. The world was built by the lowest bidder.
Info Seeker

Message 9 of 14

so what did happen to AARP investment program. Invested in AARP insured tax-free general bond fund.The 1800 phone number on the paperwork is no longer in service.. a

Any ideas thanks!

Info Seeker

Message 10 of 14
my father just past away and I
I had most of his information but going through his desk I found papers for AARP Investment program from Scudder. I too tried to call the phone number listed on statement.  I decided to try and search on line and found this message board. I knew about his investment with DWS so thanks to this message board I received all the information I needed.  Thank You