Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

๐Ÿ‘ด๐Ÿ‘ต What Are YOUR RETIREMENT CONCERNS today?

Anonymous
Not applicable

๐Ÿ‘ด๐Ÿ‘ต What Are YOUR RETIREMENT CONCERNS today?

โ–ถ๏ธTo reply, click on reply button at bottom of this post. Enter your text. Click reply button again.โ—€๏ธ

***READ comments and/or ADD a comment***

(1) Still WORKING - what are YOUR concerns while planning? ๐Ÿค”

(2) RETIRED - YOUR concerns? ๐Ÿค”

Thanks, Nicole ๐Ÿ‘ด๐Ÿ‘ต (Retirement Forum)

Anonymous
Not applicable

2 comments(1/15/23) This June 2023, I will need to start the process of MEDICARE = looking for a NEW doctor and dentist. ๐Ÿ˜ญ

Gold Conversationalist

@Anonymous    Let me add to my previous response about doctors, adding a few words about dentists. Based on a suggestion/recommendation from my dentist's billing manager I obtained a dental plan through www.DentalPlans.com when I retired and no longer had employer dental insurance. As I recall it was a plan through Delta, a subsidiary of Aetna, if I remember that correctly (I also recall there are a lot of complaints in this forum about Delta dental insurance, possibly through AARP, this is NOT the same).

I emphasize that this was a "plan", not "insurance". The difference being that the plan cost me (for my wife and I) about $199 per year and provided reduced fees/charges through many dentists, as well as some other benefits. In my area there were many member dental offices, including the dentist that my wife and I had been seeing for 10 years, since we had moved to that city. Whereas the insurance may have a negotiated reduced fee with the provider but covers only a part of that cost, the remained being paid by the patient. Dental insurance also generally comes with annual cap on benefits, whereas the "dental plan" had no cap. 

In my own experience with having dental insurance for many years as provided by employer benefits I far preferred the dental plan. The annual cost of the plan versus insurance was much less. And I believe that my overall costs (plan cost plus dental services) under the dental plan was less than that with insurance.

You may want to check out the link above or search for similar plans (note, these are available for any age, not just Medicare age). And ask your dentist's billing manager for suggestions. The link I provided even lets you check if your current dentist accepts the plan and you can search for local dentists in your area that accept the plan.

edit:   now that I reside in Canada I sorely wish I could get that same dental plan here!

Gold Conversationalist

@Anonymous 

If I remember correctly, Medicare does not cover dental, so that may not force you to change dentists. Depending on how you cover dentists now with any insurance.

When I was on Medicare there was no effect on my doctors, i kept those I was seeing.

Althoughโ€ฆI had a Blue Cross Medicare Advantage plan and after a few years my large medical group gave up that Advantage plan (likely not getting paid enough) and I had to switch plans (I could have switched doctors but I didnโ€™t want to). I went with a mefigap plan; I think it was Plan G or H. I was very pleased with the medigap plan.

I have a comment on dentists but will have to come back later for that.

Anonymous
Not applicable

3 comments(1/14/23) DREADING turning 65 this September 2023 and having to "deal" with all the MEDICARE DRAMA! ๐Ÿ˜ช

Regular Contributor

Boy can I relate. I found out I have to give my employer a two month notice for Medicare/SS to process paper work in MN.  That is insane.

Regular Contributor

Yes, I am dealing with same situation with the two month notice.  I believe instead of filing the ML564 I think it is called you can bring medicare your pay stub showing you have been paying medical. This won't circumvent the two notice but at least your employer doesn't know and give them standard 2 week.   If I find out I will let everyone know.  Standing in line at social security to the answer is bummer but If the I like to know if this is the truth.  I would rather do that then trust my employer know I am giving them two month notice.  Gone are the days when companies really respected their retirees, now days it is just replace them and move on and when you give sign of a notice it is a green light to go.    The lack of communication between social security and medicare is unforgivable.  Part B for medicare it should as easy as part "A" just uploading a pay sub showing that you have been paying for medical instead of filling out a form your company has to sign.    How insane is that they expect your employer to log on to your medicare account and some how upload that ML564 form.  It is ridiculous.  That is something that I would like AARP to work medicare and social security on.  This process should be much easier.

Gold Conversationalist

@Anonymous 

I didnโ€™t have much drama with Medicare when I enrolled or later. I liked Medicare, thought it was great.

I had a Medicare Advantage plan for a couple years. Then my doctorsโ€™ practice (very large group in Florida) would no longer accept Blue Cross Advantage. I was able to switch right away to a Medigap plan, more costly but I like the Medigap better over the Advantage plans.

edit:   I had a really helpful woman at the Social Security Admin help me sign up for Medicare. On the whole, Iโ€™ve found the SSA staff to be more competent than those at the Medicare agency CMS. โ€ฆthen again, my recent experiences with the SSA have been mostly awful.

Periodic Contributor

I've been leaning toward the BCBS advantage plan but after reading this, I think I'll be talking to my provider first.   I'm looking at advantage out of concern to have prescription coverage and the $0 monthly on the BCBS plan caught my attention. I guess I should go back to looking at prescription only coverage?  

Gold Conversationalist

I started out with BCBS Advantage in Florida. Later moved to a Medigap plan after my doctors' group no longer accepted the Blue Cross Advantage plans.

I guess with those $0.00 premiums you get what you pay for.

Anonymous
Not applicable

2 comments(1/13/23) I have always worried about dying alone here in my Studio Apartment and no one caring until it is time to pay rent/lol. ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿคฃ Also of late sad that I have not seen my only child who lives in Florida since 2019. ๐Ÿ˜ช But I am working on getting things set up to hopefully move back to Florida this year 2023 or next year 2024. Never thought about dementia and other old age stuff until this week. It is like, how do I know I have dementia living alone? Does it happen while I am out driving - forget where I am? Lol, with the famous Senior Moments, I am use to forgetting where I left stuff or why I came into a room in my apartment. ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿ˜‚ Nicole

Regular Contributor

I too worry about the same but just starting retirement.  I have my brother but he is older than me.  I have cousins but who has time to get to know people when you are working.  Too bad that independent assisted living communities couldn't more like communes where the health people who by or rent apartments could help out the elderly who need more assistance as they age and either get reimbursement or guarantee help as they go through aging process and new health people come into independent assisting living.  Even relying on family for people have them is not a guarantee today. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

WE "appreciate" you stopping by @k40013h  !!!! โ€Œ๐Ÿ’ƒโ€Œ๐Ÿฅณ, Nicole ๐Ÿ™ƒ

โ–ถ๏ธ@k40013h wrote:

I too worry about the same but just starting retirement.  I have my brother but he is older than me.  I have cousins but who has time to get to know people when you are working.  Too bad that independent assisted living communities couldn't more like communes where the health people who by or rent apartments could help out the elderly who need more assistance as they age and either get reimbursement or guarantee help as they go through aging process and new health people come into independent assisting living.  Even relying on family for people have them is not a guarantee today. โ—€๏ธ

0 Kudos
Silver Conversationalist

Hi@Anonymous ๐Ÿ™‚๐ŸŒธ

Those are real & important concerns for many of us!

Itโ€™s even more of a concern for those of us who are elderly, poor, alone, & with disabilities!

On the more positive side.....you arenโ€™t totally alone...

because you have us! ๐Ÿ˜€

Take care ๐ŸŒ„ ~Allen ๐ŸŒ‡

Anonymous
Not applicable

WE "appreciate" you stopping by @Therapist4u  !!!! โ€Œ๐Ÿ’ƒโ€Œ๐Ÿฅณ, Nicole ๐Ÿ™ƒ

โ–ถ๏ธ@Therapist4u wrote:

Hi@Anonymous ๐Ÿ™‚๐ŸŒธ

Those are real & important concerns for many of us!

Itโ€™s even more of a concern for those of us who are elderly, poor, alone, & with disabilities!

On the more positive side.....you arenโ€™t totally alone...

because you have us! ๐Ÿ˜€

Take care ๐ŸŒ„ ~Allen ๐ŸŒ‡โ—€๏ธ

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipedeยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP