Take a look at aging around the world in 'A New Age,' a special report by AARP and Magnum Photos.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Tiny Living

Message 1 of 32

My husband and I have been living in a 647 sq. foot Park Model for 4 yrs. now. We love it and have only what we need. We used to have one in Florida for 6 yrs. too, but we both have ill parents and had to come back to help take care of them. We don't have time for lots of stuff and it makes it easier to get things done and go about our day. You are not taking anything with you when you leave here, so why worry about it while you are here. Get rid of it or give it away, it's only stuff and a burden to you. Life is short and enjoy it every minute you can with family and friends.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 32

I am very interested in tiny living, however, there doesn't appear to be anything already established in my area.

Additionally, due to physical limitations, a one-story is a must.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 32

You can donate them to relatives who might want them. Ask. You can donate to charity. Have a giveaway or yard sale. Your heirlooms are STUFF to your kids. They will have the burden of cleaning out the house if you can't. If your health fails, what will happen?

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 32

Nobody saves when putting years of STUFF into storage ! U are prolonging the inevitable. The 2018 tax code greatly limits your tax deductions. U cannot claim $12k unless you are a corporation. 

Have fun donating to charities near you or host a giveaway. 

Look at "Storage Wars" on tv to get an idea of what can happen to your storage bin. Kudos!!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 32

U are not saving money putting anything into storage and then planning to donate or auction ofc later. 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 32

Our last son is in his senior year at University and we decided to downsize from 4400 sq ft. to 1600 sq ft.  We love it but the boys hate it when they come to visit.  That's the point!  It's only our house now!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 32

Since I have lived in a 650 sq. foot condo for years, I don't think downsizing a little more would be a culture shock, and some of the tiny homes are cute.  It would depend on the practicality of the layout.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 32

You’re not honoring your father by living in such conditions and letting him treat you like abused children. I encourage you to consult a therapist so you can sort through these issues and stop enabling your father’s destructive, unloving behavior.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 32

Not until I’m over 80 and then it will be a high rise condo. I’m 64, and like puttering around the house and working on my cars. I did downsize a bit. I sold a 3600 sq ft house and am buying a 3300 sq ft house with a boat slip sans boat. I’ll travel as much as a care to, but going out of the country, or town, every month for a week is exhausting. Rather take a couple long trips or cruises a year. Rest of time I’ll take camper for the weekend. 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 32

Yes I’m interested in hearing more about tiny living

Kudos
Views