You could save on auto insurance when you complete the AARP Smart Driver course! Get a free phone charging set with promo code AARP6.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Tiny Living

Message 1 of 31

I am very interested in tiny living, however, there doesn't appear to be anything already established in my area.

Additionally, due to physical limitations, a one-story is a must.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 31

You can donate them to relatives who might want them. Ask. You can donate to charity. Have a giveaway or yard sale. Your heirlooms are STUFF to your kids. They will have the burden of cleaning out the house if you can't. If your health fails, what will happen?

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 31

Nobody saves when putting years of STUFF into storage ! U are prolonging the inevitable. The 2018 tax code greatly limits your tax deductions. U cannot claim $12k unless you are a corporation. 

Have fun donating to charities near you or host a giveaway. 

Look at "Storage Wars" on tv to get an idea of what can happen to your storage bin. Kudos!!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 31

U are not saving money putting anything into storage and then planning to donate or auction ofc later. 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 31

Our last son is in his senior year at University and we decided to downsize from 4400 sq ft. to 1600 sq ft.  We love it but the boys hate it when they come to visit.  That's the point!  It's only our house now!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 31

Since I have lived in a 650 sq. foot condo for years, I don't think downsizing a little more would be a culture shock, and some of the tiny homes are cute.  It would depend on the practicality of the layout.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 31

You’re not honoring your father by living in such conditions and letting him treat you like abused children. I encourage you to consult a therapist so you can sort through these issues and stop enabling your father’s destructive, unloving behavior.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 31

Not until I’m over 80 and then it will be a high rise condo. I’m 64, and like puttering around the house and working on my cars. I did downsize a bit. I sold a 3600 sq ft house and am buying a 3300 sq ft house with a boat slip sans boat. I’ll travel as much as a care to, but going out of the country, or town, every month for a week is exhausting. Rather take a couple long trips or cruises a year. Rest of time I’ll take camper for the weekend. 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 31

Yes I’m interested in hearing more about tiny living

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 31

Sounds like your parents grew up during the WW + Great Depression years. My parents did too. They seemed to have a fear of scarcity or fear of lack... that motivated a need to save everything. My mother saved plastic grocery bags - tons of them, neatly folded and stored. My father had very wide interests - so, he had lots and lots of stuff - in order to do his thing.

In contrast, their boomer kids were surrounded by too much stuff - a result of an every booming economy. We enjoyed the prosperity that followed on the backs of thier hard work and sacrifices and laws that the ensured a protected financial and medical future the aged. I'm a boomer too.

A lot of Millenials and younger generations seem to follow "minimalist lifestyle." They seem to be the "less is more" generation who see how big box economies encourage more and more stuff in households, while they also struggle to survive on minimal finances with discount aps on their cell phones instead of the cut-out paper coupons that I still use!

My father passed 30 years ago. His youngest son, moved home to live with our mother. It took him months to rid the place of all the excess. Afterward, he had a cleaner, simpler space to live in and easier to maintain. 

But, it seems that there is no easier way to deal with your dilemma than what you're already doing. A good KONMARI won't do here. Maybe living in an RV [if that's your preference] parked in his drive-way [or beside it?] might get you out of his chaotic space more often - with options to take periodic trips away for the sake of your health and safety? Perhaps others will chime in and give better solutions? Good luck to you.

Kudos
Views