Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Tiny Living - living it now or would like to?

Message 1 of 5

@WebWiseWoman wrote:

Angela, great topic!

Here are my responses:

Why do you want to convert to tiny living?

• I already live "tiny" in 640 sq ft 1 bdrm apartment; if I had a "home of my own" I could sit outside, plant flowers on the porch, just breath my own air...

Have you done any research? If yes, anything to share with us? If no, do you plan on research or just winging it?

• I have scoped out tiny houses here in Las Vegas, plus HGTV Tiny Living addict.

Will you design your living space?

• While I would love to do that, I also recognize I'm not an expert, and so would try to meld their advice with my own preferences.

Attended any workshops?

• No; I have not seen this offered in my area.

#VegasStrong

Thanks and thank you SO MUCH for responding!!!!! Maybe you can contact the tiny living folks to have a workshop in your area. Would you be doing the energy efficient stuff? One of my concerns is being able to pay for my utilities next year when I begin getting social security. Of course I want to work, but it would be nice to not have to worry about that. Hugs, Angela

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Recognized Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 5

Angela, great topic!

Here are my responses:

Why do you want to convert to tiny living?

• I already live "tiny" in 640 sq ft 1 bdrm apartment; if I had a "home of my own" I could sit outside, plant flowers on the porch, just breath my own air...

Have you done any research? If yes, anything to share with us? If no, do you plan on research or just winging it?

• I have scoped out tiny houses here in Las Vegas, plus HGTV Tiny Living addict.

Will you design your living space?

• While I would love to do that, I also recognize I'm not an expert, and so would try to meld their advice with my own preferences.

Attended any workshops?

• No; I have not seen this offered in my area.

#VegasStrong

#VegasStrong

#NeverTrump

Phil Harris, actor and showman, to John Fogerty of CCR: “If I’d known I’d live this long, I’d have taken better care of myself.”
Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 5

@retiredtraveler wrote:

I think it will be near impossible to get a thread on this. I read that there are only around 10,000 tiny houses in all the U.S. I've also read that a great many people are looking at it, but when it comes down to it, people reject the idea for the simple fact that it is so tiny.

We live in a 1950's, 1500sf house with no basement, and that is considered, by many, if not most, to be a tiny house. Having a house less than half that square footage is not realistic to very many people.

If you're researching, I'm sure you've seen the many articles showing how many people regret purchasing a tiny house. One article shows a 44% figure of buyers remorse according to their survey.

No I have not seen any negative feedback on this but I guess I am more geared to sites that are for tiny living. I am in a cute studio apartment, so experiencing the tiny living experience. This is the second studio I have had in my 61 years. The first was when I was about 20. Anyway, thanks for your feed back, much APPRECIATED.

My cute studio apartment. It has been a challenge not UPSIZING but I make myself THINK before I bring more stuff into apartment. It is like a choice of do I really need this or just want it. It has been FUN doing this. I had been homeless before this apartment and living in a women's shelter. That is one main reason I am interested in ways to DECREASE my living expenses such as rent and utilities.

Untitled.png

Thank goodness all I pay is $495 a month and this includes gas and water. All I am responsible for is the electric which runs anywhere from $20 to $40 a month. Summer is my BIG expense as at age 61 I have the famous hot flashes/lol. Winter I am in paradise. Nothing like my own personal internal heater.

Anyone else in a studio apartment?

Hugs,

Angela

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 5

I think it will be near impossible to get a thread on this. I read that there are only around 10,000 tiny houses in all the U.S. I've also read that a great many people are looking at it, but when it comes down to it, people reject the idea for the simple fact that it is so tiny.

We live in a 1950's, 1500sf house with no basement, and that is considered, by many, if not most, to be a tiny house. Having a house less than half that square footage is not realistic to very many people.

If you're researching, I'm sure you've seen the many articles showing how many people regret purchasing a tiny house. One article shows a 44% figure of buyers remorse according to their survey.

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views
Replies

Tiny Living - living it now or would like to?

Message 5 of 5

Hi All:

Decided to start this new thread as I got totally lost in the old thread titled Tiny Living. Alot of unanswered questions and it would probably take me a few hours to muddle through the thread.

I have always had an interest in Tiny Living and now at the age of 61, seriously considering it for next year when I receive my first Social Security check. Ideally I would like to design one myself without the famous wheels. Lol, not interested in having mine hitched to someone's vehicle and driven off. I know there are safeguards, but rather not deal with all that.

QUESTIONS FOR SENIORS WHO ARE LIVING TINY

1. Can you tell us why you decided to downsize?
  2. Did you design your tiny living space?
  3. Are you using energy saving options such as solar energy, etc.?
  4. How did you find out if the area you are living in allows tiny living?
  5. Any pictures to share?
  6. And anything else you would like to share with us Smiley Happy

QUESTIONS FOR SENIORS LIKE MYSELF WHO WOULD LIKE TO

• Why do you want to convert to tiny living?
  • Have you done any research? If yes, anything to share with us? If no, do you plan on research or just winging it?
  • Will you design your living space?
  • Attended any workshops?
  • And anything else you would like to share with us Man Happy

These questions are just what they are. No pressure to answer them, but thought it would get the discussion going.

Hugs,

Angela

Tags (1)
Kudos
Views
Replies