Credit freezes are free under a federal law that just went into effect. Learn how to protect your credit.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Telling the boss goodbye

Message 1 of 9
Two week notice is fine
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 9

It sounds like you don't want to be convinced to stay. You should give notice to be fair, and if they let you go sooner, they should pay you the rest of your notice time.

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 9

Lady355 wrote:

The most gracious and ethical thing to do is give notice.

And . . . that will give them time to budget for that gold watch you will be receiving! (j/k)

Oh, I plan to give 2 weeks notice but I was wondering about whether to have an off-the-record conversation with my boss so he knew it was coming.  Oddly enough, the solution came to me that I can work LONGER if I want. So, I will submit my resignation on June 1 and ask when he would like the effectie date to be.  That way, I give notice but I am not operating under a cloud. 

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 9

drawpoker wrote:
What about the exit interview? Doesn't your company do them anymore?

I think every large company has an exit interview but I am not sure how this relates.  They ask "why are you leaving?" and I respond "I have decided to retire". I actually practiced that speach with my wife and found that I kept wanting to give more of a "reason".  

My resignation speach is going to be "I have decided to retire and I am giving my notice. How can I make this transition easier for you (my boss)?"

Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 9

The most gracious and ethical thing to do is give notice.

And . . . that will give them time to budget for that gold watch you will be receiving! (j/k)

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 9

After 28 years with the same regional company, they sold off a bunch of facilities, and I wound up working for another company headquartered in a different part of the country. At the same time, I needed to take a Family Medical Leave. For all the times I had to work late or take stuff home on weekends, because there was so much work to do, not a single person called me to see how I or my family member was, during the 5+ months I was out of work! While I was out, I broke my foot, and since I'd been on leave, it wasn't covered by medical .. did anyone care .. NO! When I returned to work, my boss had no qualms about sending me to a training session THAT DAY, where I'd have a long walk because the parking lot filled up!

I'd been contemplating leaving (I was entitled to a pension, but only 50 years old), and the fact that no one gave me a 2nd thought all the time I was out, with Mom dying & then injured myself, convinced me that I needed to make the best decision for me .. not my boss or the company!

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 9

Richva wrote:

Thanks for the advice.  I have decided to pull the plug in June. We have no retirement program and have just been taken over by a larger company so the only paperwork is to turn in my resignatiion. I am planning to do that on June 1 with a June 13 end date.  

I am trying to decide if I should give my new boss a heads up. I figure the worst that cam happen is that he tells me to leave early. Actualy, the worst is he has enough time to talk me into not resigning. 

On the plus side of telling him now, I am committed and he has a little runway to figure out how to replace me. Looking for opinions here. 

Do what will make you feel comfortable...  is it possible that he has more information and could give you a valid reason to stay? 

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 9
What about the exit interview? Doesn't your company do them anymore?
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views
Replies

Telling the boss goodbye

Message 9 of 9

Thanks for the advice.  I have decided to pull the plug in June. We have no retirement program and have just been taken over by a larger company so the only paperwork is to turn in my resignatiion. I am planning to do that on June 1 with a June 13 end date.  

I am trying to decide if I should give my new boss a heads up. I figure the worst that cam happen is that he tells me to leave early. Actualy, the worst is he has enough time to talk me into not resigning. 

On the plus side of telling him now, I am committed and he has a little runway to figure out how to replace me. Looking for opinions here. 

Kudos
Views
Replies