AARP Members Enjoy Exclusive Discounts on Travel, Dining and More. Join Today

Conversationalist

Adult Cohousing forming in Guanjuato, Mexico

Message 11 of 19

Hi, everyone.  I've lived and worked in the city of Guanajuato, Mexico 20 years, and am about to retire from my university position.  Have a large 3bed/2/bath home on a ridgetop ecological zone eucalyptus forest overlooking the city, about 20 minutes from the city center.  The house built on all one level and wheelchair accessible inside and out. Looking for adults ages 30-70 interested in forming a small (10-14 person) cohousing group. The house would be converted to community use, and members would each build their own cottage/duplex near the house.  Cohousing provides the advantages of community interaction and support along with the necessary elements of privacy and independence. Members themselves manage the community and make all decisions democratically with respect to policies, finances, maintenance, daily living.  

The buildings and land will be transferred as assets to a non-profit corporation and members will be the shareholders of the entirety.  COSTS OF BUILDING AND LIVING EXPENSES ARE CONSIDERABLY LESS THAN IN THE U.S..  If you're interested, please write to me: sisteregg@yahoo.com   I would be happy to discuss detailsview from front terraceview from front terrace and send more pictures, lot diagrams, proposed cottage designs, lists of features.  Thanks!

Report Inappropriate Content
Info Seeker

Re: Senior Co-Housing

Message 12 of 19
It sure does. Splitting expenses 3 ways will make retirement funds go a long way.
Info Seeker

Message 13 of 19

I think it's a great idea.  Several years ago my friend and I lived in California.  Her husband had passed away and she lived with her mother.  I had a roommate at the time but that was not working out too good.  Anyway she had a home in Texas that her son and his family live in.  There is also a second small apartment on the same property.  So she suggested that when we retire it would be nice to share the apartment so neither one of us would have to be alone.  She moved here to Texas and worked on getting the apartment expanded and fixed up.  I ended up having to take early retirement at 62 so I also moved here.  That was seven years ago and we now share the apartment and most importantly the expenses.  Her son lives right next door so she gets to watch her grandkids growing up and so do I.  It probably is not for everyone because it does require a lot of patiences and compromise.  But it is working so far for us.  We each have our own room with our computer and TV so we don't argue over who wants to watch what.  Not being a great cook myself, she does most of the cooking while I help with the prep and do the dishes afterwards.  I do bake a lot in the winter which she does not like to do.  So it helps having offsetting skills.  Knowing what I am good at and knowing what she is good at helps a great deal.   It can work if people are willing to give it a try.

Info Seeker

Message 14 of 19

Could also look at next gen homes. 

Info Seeker

Message 15 of 19

I have 20 years of expereince in co-housing. I took care of my parents for that length of time. If your house is set up, where everyone can have their own space to retreat to, it is vialbe solution. It is a support to both families. Kitchen can be a challenge, because, everyone has their set ways about cooking and cleaning. It has to be teamwork, not only for the senior, but for the caretaker. Otherwise resentment can start, which brings problems. Plus it keeps the senior active and gives them selfworth. If there is illness, it is easier on the caretaker, to give assistance with the senior being close. So many people cannot afford assisted living, which is upward of 5-6 thousand dollars a month. Plus even if they say the living conditions are great, most of the time they are not. I had to put my Mom in an assisted home for the last year of her life. It had become difficult to take care of her with the physical needs and health issues. I was always having meetings with management about my Mother's care. It was a nightmare. With cost and economic issues co-housing a great way to go.

Info Seeker

Message 16 of 19

For several years, i had extensive interactions with widows, usually in the late 60's to late 80's. most who lived alone resided in the home they'd shared with their spouse. A common theme among them was cost of living, maintaing the home and related issues. 

Co-housing is an ideal solution with the caveat that the match process is critical. with today's skilled testing /assessment, matching should be much easier than it would have been even 10 years ago.

It's an idea whose time has come and I'd have much more confidence in AARP's ability to move, implement it than any other entity.

Info Seeker

Message 17 of 19

My three best friends and I are talking about moving into the same house - like the Golden Girls!  Does that count?

Social Butterfly

Message 18 of 19

No thanks.  My cat's enough.

Conversationalist

Senior Co-Housing

Message 19 of 19

If you're a baby-boomer, you probably have been through or are going through the experience of helping out your aging parents.  The traditional senior housing options for them included gated retirement communities, assisted living "facilities" and nursing homes.  Many of us boomers have been seeking an alternative to those options, while at the same time realizing that living alone in a house or apartment as we age is not a wise choice, either.  Enter "the new kid on the block": co-housing.  It's a concept that's been around a long time in Europe, but is still relatively new in the U.S. But it's a trend that is gaining momentum. The Cohousing Association of the United States  recently  reported that there are now 160 functioning co-housing communities, and 130 in the process of being built.  To date, about a dozen of those 160 are senior projects. Co-housing isn't for everone, but it's a viable option for many, and worth a look. If you'd like to find out more AARP has several good introductory articles. I recommend starting with "Aging Better Together" by Anne P. Glass. 

Thanks for reading and I hope this gives you some food for thought.