Your pain isn't like anyone else's, and science is homing in on better treatments. Read about the newest ways to break pain's grip.

Highlighted
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Senior Co-Housing

Message 1 of 34
Connie, sorry to hear your sister had an uncomfortable situation. If you're thinking of cohousing or even just roommates, really good idea to get to know the person well first. Most cohousing groups start out with people who don't know one another much, but they get to know one another during the process of forming the group, making their plans for the community and proceeding with building the community. The successful communities also require their prospective members to attend some workshops on communication/conflict resolution/facilitation. It's not just about the physical buildings - the cement and bricks - it's about the human relationships. Having clear policies and good communication are keys to success.
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 34

A REALLY GREAT BOOK ABOUT COHOUSING!

This covers all different kinds of "intentional communities" from cohousing to ecovillages to house-sharing.  I have been following it very closely as the model in the formation of  the Guanajuato cohousing community.  It includes stories of success and failure, and, more importantly the WHYs. It's not just for someone who is trying to form a community, but has good advice for those LOOKING for one, too.

"Creating a Life Together: Practical Tools to Grow Ecovillages and Intentional Communities" by Diana Leafe Christian.  You can download it free as a PDF or find it for sale on the web.

Another good read: "With a LIttle Help from our Friends: Creating Community as We Grow Older" by Beth Baker.  It covers LOTS of possible options from cohousing to cooperatives, house-sharing to programs designed to assist those who decide to live alone, but with a neighborhood or apartment "network".

Lots of information out there, folks!  Go get it!!

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 34
I was shocked when I started researching the prices in the U.S. Check out https://www.ic.org (Fellowship for Intentional Community). If you don't find any more economical possibilities in the U.S., take a look at other countries. You may be surprised!
Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 34
Bob, that's exactly one of the reasons I began Guanajuato Cohousing here in Mexico. I had built a 3 bed/2 bath home all on one level, in order to bring my parents down here to live with me. Unfortunately, they both passed away before I finished the house. Now, after 13 years living in this big place alone, I just retired. If you'd like to read the full story of how GTO COHO was born, please ask to join our Facebook group: Guanajuato Cohousing Project. It's a closed group, so you have to first answer three questions. Then, an admin. will approve your request. Maybe this might give you an idea of how to form your OWN cohousing in that too-big house!
Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 34

Update on Guanajuato, Mexico Cohousing Community:  Many of you have commented that you'd like the idea of living in a cohousing community, but have discovered they are VERY expensive in the US and Canada.  Guanajuato Cohousing (GTO COHO) has made great strides since I first posted about my wish to start a community here. Our Facebook page has over 200 interested people, many of whom are planning to come to our first Open House, Nov. 11, 2018. The costs of living here and the cost of investing in the community are MUCH less than the US or Canada.  I invite you to visit our FB page to learn more:  Guanajuato Cohousing Project.  It is a closed group, so you will have to answer three questions after you ask to join. Then, an admin. can approve your request.  This is the best way to learn the full history of GTO COHO, get the latest progress reports, learn about the financial and social requirements, and have the opportunity to communicate with others who are interested.  Best regards, Jan

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 34

@cm2216799 wrote:

I have read that Baby Boomers, I grew up in the 60's, are heading back back to the commune. Shar housing, independent housing within a community. There is a group, Women Aging in Communiity--I love this idea and am proud that once again the Baby Boomers have an alernative to the boring status quo. Except I can't trace down any communities.

My daughter might move to Minnesota, Duluth, and I would go willingly to Duluth from Iowa, I used to live in MN. Cool summers, and winters no worse than Chicago--where I grew up, I'd just stay in and write, like I do now. Lake Superior!

Did you try this:

http://www.cohousing.org

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 34

I have read that Baby Boomers, I grew up in the 60's, are heading back back to the commune. Shar housing, independent housing within a community. There is a group, Women Aging in Communiity--I love this idea and am proud that once again the Baby Boomers have an alernative to the boring status quo. Except I can't trace down any communities.

My daughter might move to Minnesota, Duluth, and I would go willingly to Duluth from Iowa, I used to live in MN. Cool summers, and winters no worse than Chicago--where I grew up, I'd just stay in and write, like I do now. Lake Superior!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 34
My companion and I have been doing this for 10 yrs now and it has worked out really well for us. we split the rent and utilities and enjoy the same things. the familys understand our reasons and are ok with it. I have 5 kids and they are ok with it too. It works for us. I know several other people that are doing this too.
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 34
life is truly a journey with a definite destination in the end..,.death...sometimes we need a helping hand and a loving hug to proceed with the journey or meet the destination. sounds like a good idea for someone like me, living alone in a home larger than I need. bob
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 34

It would have to be someone who had the same ideals/goals as I. Having some kind of a agreeent/contract (similar to but not as detailed as Sheldon's on - Big Bang Theory). My sister helped someone get back on their feet by allowing them to live with her without some type of agreement as to what the expectations were - it became an uncomfortable situation. When the person was able to find other housing, items/furniture were left in my sister's home.

Kudos
Views