Explore your flexible work options with AARP's Flexible Work Online Expo from 2-5 p.m. ET Tuesday! Register now.

Recognized Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Senior Co-Housing

Message 1 of 36

Count me out!

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 36

Not sure about co-housing, never have been in that position of sharing a flat, apartment house, etc.

However, I grew up in a multigenerational home. Mom and dad, four siblingings, a grandmother, and in rotating order, aunts, uncles, cousins. Mom and dad didn't have much, but no family member was ever homeless. My two sisters, grandmother and I shared the largest bedroom. Mom and dad had a small room, and eventually brother had a tiny room next to mom & dad. The pantry addition doubled as guest room if only one person was visiting, otherwise they slept on a rollaway bed in the living room or a pallet on the floor. 

Have been married 49 years. We have a 1000 sq foot mill house built in 1925 that we have been adapting to be our "forever home." Our income is such that a house mate would be necessary when one of us passes. Together we are okay.

But here's a consideration, know of a couple in a gated community who really couldn't afford their fees etc anymore, but had a large home with many bedrooms. Some of their friends were in the same boat. Renting rooms or something along those lines were not allowed since they were single family homes.

Creative idea won out--couple who owned the home, hired a cook, gardner, maid,  chauffeur, butler, and housekeeper for an unspecified sum per year. Not sure of the specifics but they split the utilities, taxes, insurance, housing fees, etcetera and were still living together the last that I heard. 

So if you're building a new home, allow for at least two master suites so that different couples can be separate. Works well if a parent needs to move in also. Ranch style, open concept  is preferred by those in wheelchairs.

Or possibly build a duplex or quad plex.

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 36
Connie, sorry to hear your sister had an uncomfortable situation. If you're thinking of cohousing or even just roommates, really good idea to get to know the person well first. Most cohousing groups start out with people who don't know one another much, but they get to know one another during the process of forming the group, making their plans for the community and proceeding with building the community. The successful communities also require their prospective members to attend some workshops on communication/conflict resolution/facilitation. It's not just about the physical buildings - the cement and bricks - it's about the human relationships. Having clear policies and good communication are keys to success.
Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 36

A REALLY GREAT BOOK ABOUT COHOUSING!

This covers all different kinds of "intentional communities" from cohousing to ecovillages to house-sharing.  I have been following it very closely as the model in the formation of  the Guanajuato cohousing community.  It includes stories of success and failure, and, more importantly the WHYs. It's not just for someone who is trying to form a community, but has good advice for those LOOKING for one, too.

"Creating a Life Together: Practical Tools to Grow Ecovillages and Intentional Communities" by Diana Leafe Christian.  You can download it free as a PDF or find it for sale on the web.

Another good read: "With a LIttle Help from our Friends: Creating Community as We Grow Older" by Beth Baker.  It covers LOTS of possible options from cohousing to cooperatives, house-sharing to programs designed to assist those who decide to live alone, but with a neighborhood or apartment "network".

Lots of information out there, folks!  Go get it!!

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 36
I was shocked when I started researching the prices in the U.S. Check out https://www.ic.org (Fellowship for Intentional Community). If you don't find any more economical possibilities in the U.S., take a look at other countries. You may be surprised!
Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 36
Bob, that's exactly one of the reasons I began Guanajuato Cohousing here in Mexico. I had built a 3 bed/2 bath home all on one level, in order to bring my parents down here to live with me. Unfortunately, they both passed away before I finished the house. Now, after 13 years living in this big place alone, I just retired. If you'd like to read the full story of how GTO COHO was born, please ask to join our Facebook group: Guanajuato Cohousing Project. It's a closed group, so you have to first answer three questions. Then, an admin. will approve your request. Maybe this might give you an idea of how to form your OWN cohousing in that too-big house!
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 36

Update on Guanajuato, Mexico Cohousing Community:  Many of you have commented that you'd like the idea of living in a cohousing community, but have discovered they are VERY expensive in the US and Canada.  Guanajuato Cohousing (GTO COHO) has made great strides since I first posted about my wish to start a community here. Our Facebook page has over 200 interested people, many of whom are planning to come to our first Open House, Nov. 11, 2018. The costs of living here and the cost of investing in the community are MUCH less than the US or Canada.  I invite you to visit our FB page to learn more:  Guanajuato Cohousing Project.  It is a closed group, so you will have to answer three questions after you ask to join. Then, an admin. can approve your request.  This is the best way to learn the full history of GTO COHO, get the latest progress reports, learn about the financial and social requirements, and have the opportunity to communicate with others who are interested.  Best regards, Jan

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 36

@cm2216799 wrote:

I have read that Baby Boomers, I grew up in the 60's, are heading back back to the commune. Shar housing, independent housing within a community. There is a group, Women Aging in Communiity--I love this idea and am proud that once again the Baby Boomers have an alernative to the boring status quo. Except I can't trace down any communities.

My daughter might move to Minnesota, Duluth, and I would go willingly to Duluth from Iowa, I used to live in MN. Cool summers, and winters no worse than Chicago--where I grew up, I'd just stay in and write, like I do now. Lake Superior!

Did you try this:

http://www.cohousing.org

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 36

I have read that Baby Boomers, I grew up in the 60's, are heading back back to the commune. Shar housing, independent housing within a community. There is a group, Women Aging in Communiity--I love this idea and am proud that once again the Baby Boomers have an alernative to the boring status quo. Except I can't trace down any communities.

My daughter might move to Minnesota, Duluth, and I would go willingly to Duluth from Iowa, I used to live in MN. Cool summers, and winters no worse than Chicago--where I grew up, I'd just stay in and write, like I do now. Lake Superior!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 36
My companion and I have been doing this for 10 yrs now and it has worked out really well for us. we split the rent and utilities and enjoy the same things. the familys understand our reasons and are ok with it. I have 5 kids and they are ok with it too. It works for us. I know several other people that are doing this too.
Kudos
Views