Test Your Knowledge About Long-Term Care with AARP’s Long-Term Care Quiz

Highlighted
Respected Social Butterfly

Re: Senior Co-Housing

Message 1 of 19 (256 Views)

m907706g wrote:

No thanks.  My cat's enough.

@m907706g  Great but what if you become unable to live alone. Who will look after you and of the cat?

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Conversationalist

Re: Adult Cohousing forming in Guanjuato, Mexico

Message 2 of 19 (776 Views)
@Denwood54. The project is just starting out. Maybe by the time you retire, we may still be accepting members. Or, if you want to plan ahead and have a place ready to move, you may want to consider that option. If you'd like more information or have questions, I'd be happy to answer. Jan
Info Seeker

Re: Adult Cohousing forming in Guanjuato, Mexico

Message 3 of 19 (850 Views)

I'm not retiring for a few years, but this sounds delightful!! 

Info Seeker

Message 4 of 19 (851 Views)
I like that!
Social Butterfly

Message 5 of 19 (1,393 Views)

Retiredtraveler,

You bring out some very good points.  Kinks and wrinkles should be ironed out in the very beginning and maybe (legal?) contracts should be signed.  Would make it easier for everyone.

Conversationalist

Message 6 of 19 (1,556 Views)
Yes, I agree that policies must be clearly outlined at the beginning. One of the important factors discussed by Charles Durrett in his books on cohousing is group dynamics and communication. He recommends that the group who is contemplating cohousing attend workshops (can be via internet conferences on Skype or Zoom) to address this aspect. Organization and communication or lack thereof can make or break the venture.
Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 7 of 19 (1,590 Views)

"...Co-housing isn't for everone, but it's a viable option for many, and worth a look. If you'd like to find out more AARP has several good introductory articles....".

To me, the idea is creative and sound. But everything has to be in the legal details. How are expenses divided, especially the rent cost? What happens if someone wants out of the arrangement, or has to leave?  What happens if someone has friends/family over and things get damaged? Pets? Pet damage?

As long as there are some very specific, and enforceable rules, this could work. But all it takes is one 'so-and-so' to ruin the arrangement, and you end up with bad feelings all around.

Just think. The world was built by the lowest bidder.
Gold Conversationalist

Message 8 of 19 (2,179 Views)

I'd consider cohousing if it was a situation that had separate living but in a shared community, or perhaps a duplex.  I'm picky about everything - decor, pets (I have large dogs), smells, habits - and don't want to change the way I do things, nor do I want to accommodate anyone else's habits.  So, close neighbors with shared activities (gym, club house, etc.) but I don't care to share living accommodations with anyone. 

Conversationalist

[ Edited ]
Message 9 of 19 (2,300 Views)

Yes, p473323p. I certainly agree about the kitchen use. That's why a community house with full kitchen for shared meals AND private cottages with kitchenettes for those times you don't feel like joining in the community meal both  important features.

Info Seeker

Message 10 of 19 (2,387 Views)

Yes it's something I'd do. The article is about one way to do it, but that's only for people who have enough money to build & manage a house. I would be really interested in co-housing as long as everyone gets enough privacy. I'd like to be living like that now, but, it has to be a large enough place. One kitchen can make things hard but if you have a schedule where cooking is done in shifts & the kitchen is large enough for everyones items. As long as there are rules that are discussed when written & weekly, or so, meetings then it will work. I've had many roommates in my life & when things are too casual problems can occur.