Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Retiring by water in a liberal community

Regular Contributor

Retiring by water in a liberal community

I'm a writer and will never retire, but I do want to move.

I've been in Iowa -- hometown Chicago!-- way too long.

Unfortunately I can't afford Chicago.

I don't golf, I'm not a chatter-er, I'd  keep writing,I'd like something small, by water, preferaby an ocean, have a dog -- with a liberal environment.

I'd need cultural and artistic events, spontaneous or planned, and I mean this with no disrespect, but driving around in a golf cart just does not fit me. I  visited my mother in Sun City **bleep** quite a few times,and it was fun --like being on vacation. But I ned somethingto wke up for. As in y career.

I suppose CA would be the best bet --the liberal side anyway, the ocean, but I'm afraid I can't affford it.

FL would be next - but I don't want to be caught up in a Conservtive state of mind.

I've thiought of North Carolina, apparently there's a liberal triad with three colleges that would suit me fine.

I haven't the idea of cost.

I'd love the East --but I'm not sure I want the winters.

I'm single, female,and would appreciate places where I could get to kow people.

I've tried asking this bfore -- if it runs by someone in charge of something at ARP, would you please let me me know where to ask these questions properly? That has beena large weakness for me in AARP.

I do have two children, and they're the only things keeping me from retiring to Ireland. Linberal, cultural, gorgeous, most places on the ocean.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@cm2216799 - I'll second what Nyadrn said, about "doing your research" .. because that's exactly what I've been doing for the past 6 months or so. Many counties & towns in FL on the water are liberal, based on the 2016 Presidential election, as well as the county & municipal elected officials. This link will take you to the 2016 Presidential Election Results - Florida by County; you can scroll down & see them by county .. then hone in further on towns.

I too am a single female, and my top priorities for a move are to be in a safe, walkable area for grocery & other shopping, and have a single family ranch house .. no club communities for me! My next priority was to be in an area with lots of cultural amenities .. theater, museums, etc. I wound up eliminating a lot of counties, because they just didn't meet those basic criteria .. way before I got to their political leanings!

If you have any questions about specific areas, I might be able to answer them for you .. send me a private message, if you'd like.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Honored Social Butterfly

@cm2216799wrote:

I'm a writer and will never retire, but I do want to move.

I've been in Iowa -- hometown Chicago!-- way too long.

Unfortunately I can't afford Chicago.

I don't golf, I'm not a chatter-er, I'd  keep writing,I'd like something small, by water, preferaby an ocean, have a dog -- with a liberal environment.

I'd need cultural and artistic events, spontaneous or planned, and I mean this with no disrespect, but driving around in a golf cart just does not fit me. I  visited my mother in Sun City **bleep** quite a few times,and it was fun --like being on vacation. But I ned somethingto wke up for. As in y career.

I suppose CA would be the best bet --the liberal side anyway, the ocean, but I'm afraid I can't affford it.

FL would be next - but I don't want to be caught up in a Conservtive state of mind.

I've thiought of North Carolina, apparently there's a liberal triad with three colleges that would suit me fine.

I haven't the idea of cost.

I'd love the East --but I'm not sure I want the winters.

I'm single, female,and would appreciate places where I could get to kow people.

I've tried asking this bfore -- if it runs by someone in charge of something at ARP, would you please let me me know where to ask these questions properly? That has beena large weakness for me in AARP.

I do have two children, and they're the only things keeping me from retiring to Ireland. Linberal, cultural, gorgeous, most places on the ocean.

There is no magic book to tell you where to go.  You have to research!  Start online and then go out and see your top choices.  

What research have have you done so far?

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP