Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Retiring and moving to Florida

My Husband and I want to retire in two years and move to Florida. We want to move to the west coast. We like St Petersburg and Dunedin. We like the other areas as well. We are a gay couple. We are not looking ot move into a gay community. We want to move where we can just live. We don't want to have to worrie about crime. This is our last home for our final years.  Where would you recommend we look. Also what parts of the citie is safe, fo rexample St Petersburg. Is it better to move to a retirment community? We are aon a budget and can go no higher than 150,000 for a house or condo.  We kow we are going to move there in two years but I need hel figuring out the best area for us. Any help would be wonderful. Thanks, George

Honored Social Butterfly

@GeorgeE317130 - If you're looking at real estate listings online, to familiarize yourself with various areas (which is what I'm doing now), Trulia has some very useful graphics that show crime rate, shopping, and even age demographics.

This is a link for a walkable home listing in Sarasota (I am NOT a realtor .. but I've done a lot of research): Trulia Crime Rate Graphic - Sarasota, FL. If you click on the other tabs above the map, it will show you other parameters, in easy-to-understand color-coding.

As far as "retirement community" or not .. that's very personal. I personally don't like the restrictions that often come with that, although gated communities may be safer & have nice amenities. Many have very steep HOA fees as well. Another very useful website is www.Redfin.com, because it lets you set up detailed searches, and you can safe favorite listing .. then download the data into Excel to review/compare.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Honored Social Butterfly

@GeorgeE317130wrote:

My Husband and I want to retire in two years and move to Florida. We want to move to the west coast. We like St Petersburg and Dunedin. We like the other areas as well. We are a gay couple. We are not looking ot move into a gay community. We want to move where we can just live. We don't want to have to worrie about crime. This is our last home for our final years.  Where would you recommend we look. Also what parts of the citie is safe, fo rexample St Petersburg. Is it better to move to a retirment community? We are aon a budget and can go no higher than 150,000 for a house or condo.  We kow we are going to move there in two years but I need hel figuring out the best area for us. Any help would be wonderful. Thanks, George

@GeorgeE317130  Congratulations on the soon to be big move!  I have spent so much time researching my retirement location that I could write a book.  But in a nutshell;

sit down and write out your basic requirements in both a home (taking in to consideration what you may need as you get older.. ie; a one story living space or other considerations as well as the community requirements for an older couple, ie: proximitiy to good health care and any other things you may need or want.  Then pick the top four or five places and go and visit.  Research as much as you can.  Cost of living, resources easily accessible, recreation that you like and enjoy. All the things that make you happy.  Go and stay at an active retirement community.. look at the facilities, and eventually you will narrow things down.  No one else can do this for you really..  it is all about you two !  Have fun!

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipedeยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP