ACA Open Enrollment Ends Today. Review Your Options Before Being Locked in for 2018. Read More

Trusted Social Butterfly

Re: Retirement

Message 1 of 4

"...Let me know what you think, does AARP keep up with the times? Does two years really make a difference with claims of best places?...".

To me, the question is moot. "Best" is so very subjective, with some objective points mixed in. One can easily find statistics to show crime, cost of living, access to healthcare, public transportation, various types of services, options for indoor and outdoor recreation, general weather, etc.

But there are so many subjective factors that really render a 'best places' list to the back of the line.  I enjoy reading the articles that list a town as 'best', but don't put much store in it. And, yes, two years can make a difference, especially from changes in the local economy which might affect any number of factors.    

Just think. The world was built by the lowest bidder.
Report Inappropriate Content
Valued Social Butterfly

Message 2 of 4

One may want to look at this, http://www.escapehere.com/destination/the-16-best-places-to-live-in-america-2016/  and scroll down to the Ten best cities to retire in.

Any one interested in Austin, Texas, which is shown as number seven in the ten best cities to retire in, I can tell you something about it. My daughter lives in south Austin and works there too. I try to go down one or two times a week to ice skate and visit my daughter. I attend Texas Stars (Dallas Stars) Ice Hockey games in Cedar Park just outside of Austin. I also attend Round Rock Express (Triple A team of Texas Rangers) baseball games in Round Rock also just outside of Austin. My daughter and I attend Broadway Shows at Bass Concert Hall on the campus of the University of Texas. There is a lot more to do too. Austin is working hard on the traffic problems. 

Recognized Social Butterfly

Message 3 of 4
Every day someone publishes a new list of best places to live based on different criteria; Keep in mind some publishers may be getting paid for promoting a particular community. I don't know how AARP does their ranking but I don't believe AARP members were asked to contribute or vote.
Highlighted
Info Seeker

Retirement

Message 4 of 4

If you have read the article in the AARP "Retirement" section titled Best Places Fore Pre-retirees, 7/6/2017, it sounds as if this report was recently published. Not so, originally the article was in Forbes magazine dated 7/14/2015. The article written by Jamie Hopkins (Forbes) was based on the LPL document as stated but two years ago. The article is not currently available for reading on lpl-research.com or at least my investigative skills were unable to find it. Forbes still has the article in archives and it reads with more information than the AARP edition.

Let me know what you think, does AARP keep up with the times? Does two years really make a difference with claims of best places?

Popabear