Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Retirement Tiny Living - living it now or would like to?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Retirement Tiny Living - living it now or would like to?

QUESTIONS FOR SENIORS WHO ARE LIVING TINY

1. Can you tell us why you decided to downsize?
  2. Did you design your tiny living space?
  3. Are you using energy saving options such as solar energy, etc.?
  4. How did you find out if the area you are living in allows tiny living?
  5. Any pictures to share?
  6. And anything else you would like to share with us.

QUESTIONS FOR SENIORS LIKE MYSELF WHO WOULD LIKE TO

• Why do you want to convert to tiny living?
  • Have you done any research? If yes, anything to share with us? If no, do you plan on research or just winging it?
  • Will you design your living space?
  • Attended any workshops?
  • And anything else you would like to share with us.

Hope to hear from you 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

April 16, 2021

Tiny Retirement

1. single level
  2. no stairs
  3. no loft
  4. enough room for a wheelchair to move around and stored

Any other items to add?

Some of the best US states for Tiny Living include, but not limited to, California, Florida and Texas.

Anyone living in California, Florida or Texas? If yes, what are your thoughts on Tiny Communities there?

the-edge-cornwall-exterior5-via-smallhousebliss.jpg

Bronze Conversationalist

Oooh, that would be a wonderful location for a tiny vacay! 🙂

Regular Social Butterfly

Angela, great topic!

Here are my responses:

Why do you want to convert to tiny living?

• I already live "tiny" in 640 sq ft 1 bdrm apartment; if I had a "home of my own" I could sit outside, plant flowers on the porch, just breath my own air...

Have you done any research? If yes, anything to share with us? If no, do you plan on research or just winging it?

• I have scoped out tiny houses here in Las Vegas, plus HGTV Tiny Living addict.

Will you design your living space?

• While I would love to do that, I also recognize I'm not an expert, and so would try to meld their advice with my own preferences.

Attended any workshops?

• No; I have not seen this offered in my area.

#VegasStrong

#VegasStrong
Phil Harris, actor and showman, to John Fogerty of CCR: “If I’d known I’d live this long, I’d have taken better care of myself.”
Anonymous
Not applicable

March 16, 2021

Hi @WebWiseWoman lol, I too am living tiny in a Studio Apartment. Wish I could detach it from the building and drop it on some land. I love living in it but hate dealing with the upstairs neighbors the office likes to move in. I guess some people either forget or just do not care that someone is below them. Thanks for sharing!

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

I think it will be near impossible to get a thread on this. I read that there are only around 10,000 tiny houses in all the U.S. I've also read that a great many people are looking at it, but when it comes down to it, people reject the idea for the simple fact that it is so tiny.

We live in a 1950's, 1500sf house with no basement, and that is considered, by many, if not most, to be a tiny house. Having a house less than half that square footage is not realistic to very many people.

If you're researching, I'm sure you've seen the many articles showing how many people regret purchasing a tiny house. One article shows a 44% figure of buyers remorse according to their survey.

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Anonymous
Not applicable

March 16, 2021

Hi @retiredtraveler yes tiny living is not for everyone and that is why it is so neat now that there are tiny home hotels or other rental setups to try before committing to that lifestyle.

0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

I'd love to try a tiny hotel or vacation rental, especially if it's in some remote area on a lake or beach front or deep in a forest. That photo you posted above would be a wonderful place to stay for a while. I don't think I could live tiny permanently tho, as I think it would easily feel claustrophobic for me.  I like a lot of floor space around me, especially in a bedroom. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

May 14, 2021

Yes, Tiny Hotels are popping up all over @DeahWA 😉

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP