Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Periodic Contributor

Retirement Reflections

Someone asked not long ago if I had any updates to a post when I retired in 2018. In fact I do. I learned some things. After many years of being focused on taking care of my company and my employees, and being strictly confidential about every single business detail spoken, I was finally able to focus on me. Me…who was I?  That took quite a while to get comfortable looking inside myself and determining the safety or not of being open and honest with myself. Here is the condensed version of my learnings. 

I learned that some days I’m the windshield and some days I’m the bug.

I learned that people I thought were friends, were only in the relationship for what I might be able to do for them while employed.

I learned that I love being at the ocean in my 5th wheel, but I don’t love “camping” or towing that 37 foot beauty, or emptying the black tanks, or RV toilet paper.

I learned that although my mind says go for it, my body has a brake pedal. 
I learned I enjoy rather than need a glass of fine red wine.

I learned that the ocean cures many things for me, but it does not mend a heart that’s been shattered by loss.

I learned that young, healthy, vibrant, wonderfully giving people can die and life guarantees us nothing.

I learned that every day I wake up is a gift and I will continue to unwrap it in all its splendor and savor every moment. 
I learned I’m human; I still have failings; I have successes too albeit a bit different than at work, such as towing the 5th wheel seven hours to Port Aransas without a single unkind word spoken.

People I meet will comment, isn’t retirement grand? Truthfully, dealing with the isolation of Covid, the tanking of my retirement portfolio, and some days utter boredom, I can’t say retirement is grand. I can say life is grand and I’m very happy being on top of the ground and not under it. 

Warm regards,
Sherry
Silver Conversationalist

Beautifully said. Retirement for me isn't the "grand " part. You touched on it nicely. Its living that is grand, not the stage of living that we are in. Be well.

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

(3 comments) Well said @LeeS4949 , glad you posted 🙂

@LeeS4949 wrote:

Beautifully said. Retirement for me isn't the "grand " part. You touched on it nicely. Its living that is grand, not the stage of living that we are in. Be well.

0 Kudos
Silver Conversationalist

BTW, the 3 mouskateers send hugs. 🐈

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

(1 comment) You know I think of them every day!! Thanks @LeeS4949 🐈🤗🐈🤎🐈

@LeeS4949 wrote:

BTW, the 3 mouskateers send hugs. 🐈

Silver Conversationalist

Thank you for thinking of them. That means alot. 😊

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Bubble Shooter and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP