AARP and the photographers of Magnum Photos look at older people living in new ways around the world in A New Age.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Retirement Apartment vs Retirement Village

Message 41 of 46

What is really sad is that not all people that were working before retirement had well paying jobs that they were able to have a retirement income to fall back on. A lot of government subsidized housing for seniors are dangerous places to live. Some members of my family that relie on this type of housing also live amongst people with severe mental illness and people that are drug dealers on disability. For whatever reason, management turns a blind eye and the senior citizens are too afraid to report them for fear of retaliation. I think a well run retirement village for senior citizens only would be the optimal solution. There are many seniors that are isolated and need companionship. 

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 42 of 46

The best choice is Mexico!  Two people can live on social security for almost half of what it costs in the states. Apartment or house rentals are much less expensive, food is way lower cost. The wife and I pay about $100 per month for health insurance.  Food is way cheaper.  The wife and I can go out for dinner ,because we can afford to, for $7.00 including tip.   

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 43 of 46

I doubt they exist for most seniors of low income. Usually one needs to hunt for a clean inexpensive place a senior can at least exist in. No special amenities for Seniors either. 

Kudos
Views
Recognized Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 44 of 46
In retirement you should consider a place that is clean, safe, well maintained and has the conveniences you can afford. It doesn't have to be fancy or expensive.
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 45 of 46
Suggest you go online and google senior housing choices.
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views
Replies

Retirement Apartment vs Retirement Village

Message 46 of 46

What is the best choice for where to live in retirement if you cannot affort a really fancy place?

Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Have a question about AARP membership or benefits? Ask it in the AARP Help Membership forum, Benefits & Discounts forum, or General forum.

multiple white question marks with center red question mark